Ruger Hawkeye reassessment

PDA

ArmedBear
December 15, 2009, 10:08 AM
Last night I went browsing the Cabela's rifle selection, to see if that's what I wanted to do with a gift card

I've posted a few times about the Hawkeyes I've handled. They've been really rough, not up to the standards of other guns in the price range.

The ones I checked out last night seemed a lot better, and the feel of their actions compared straight across with other guns like basic Winchesters, Sakos, Kimbers, etc. They didn't quite have the fit and finish of the Weatherby Mark V Deluxe rifles I checked out, but those were about 3 times as expensive, so the Mark Vs had better be shinier and smoother than the other guns in question.

So, maybe the Hawkeyes I handled a while ago were from a particularly bad run, or Ruger had trouble starting up the new line. Or maybe Ruger reads this forum :p since I wasn't the only one with similar comments about the things.

One way or another, it seems they've cleaned up their act and I'll take back what I've said about them. They're back on my consideration list, now.:)

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger Hawkeye reassessment" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Horsemany
December 15, 2009, 10:38 AM
Agreed. The stock on the new Hawkeyes feels so good to me I'd be willing to overlook the beadblast metal.

cal74
December 15, 2009, 12:01 PM
Little bit on the heavy side, but the one I have is a shooter even before I dropped the 5+ lb trigger down to just a tad under 3

Picked mine up last year NIB for 365.00, wish I would have bought the other one at that price.

bpl
December 15, 2009, 12:29 PM
Agreed. I handled a new Hawkeye in .308 at a gun raffle in Nov. I was much more impressed with this Ruger than with others I have seen in the past.

lopezni
December 17, 2009, 01:15 AM
No, the new Winchester Model 70, any Sako, any Kimber, are much better rifles than an M77. Plus the new M77's have that junk matte finish which you can mark up just by rubbing your fingers on it. From what I've seen, the old red pad Rugers, with the blued or polished stainless finishes are much better than the new Rugers.

Horsemany
December 17, 2009, 07:44 AM
No, the new Winchester Model 70, any Sako, any Kimber, are much better rifles than an M77. Plus the new M77's have that junk matte finish which you can mark up just by rubbing your fingers on it. From what I've seen, the old red pad Rugers, with the blued or polished stainless finishes are much better than the new Rugers.

I own all of the above and I respectfully disagree. Of everything mentioned I pick my Rugers above all else when I'm on an important hunt and I have no room for gear not working. Ruger 77's are as close to indestructible as any rifle I've ever owned. That is their calling card. No rifle is perfect and every design has compromise.

ArmedBear
December 17, 2009, 08:53 AM
After looking at the Rugers, Kimbers, and Sakos, I bought a Model 70. Do you have the new 70, Horsemany, or one made in the dying days of New Haven?

I really don't think the Ruger is the best rifle of the bunch, but I don't think they're as god-awful as the first Hawkeyes I handled -- which felt like they were filled with sand. Also, I'll concur with lopezni about that finish. It was also god-awful. The newest ones seemed to be different.

My intent was to revise my initial assessment of "HORRIBLE" to say that Ruger is back on the same playing field as other rifles. I still don't think they're winning the game -- but when price and scope mounts are taken into account, there's something to be said for the rifles. At least specific models may offer the best bang for the buck in their niche.

(I also can't say I'm as impressed with Sako as some people are. They're nice, they're accurate, but any given model is a tad expensive for what you get. Before Winchester came back from the dead, Sako looked nicer than they do now. That can be said of other rifles, too. If you buy a production rifle without looking at the new Model 70s carefully, I believe you're doing yourself a disservice.)

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
December 17, 2009, 10:37 AM
Word on the street is that ALL manufacturers monitor your posts AB, and take corrective action accordingly, lest they suffer the wrath of a scathing review! :p

Uncle Mike
December 17, 2009, 10:49 AM
Well....that is why there are soooo many different manufacturers and model configurations of firearms.
Some people love a Sako:barf: ,some love the Ruger, Remington, Savage, Winchester, whatever.

Beliefs and opinions...that's what it really boils down to. If your honest, any of the rifles made today are good enough to execute their intended purpose.

Modern man has turned away from the finer things in life for the 'gotta have it now' and 'I can do without fine, if I can get it cheap' philosophy, not saying everybody adheres to those beliefs, but a lot do.

I see customer after customer become almost trance like while holding a Sako, or even a Howa...you ask them, you like that ol' rough bluing, that receiver that is 3 shades of blue different than the barrel...what's the price...oh, it looks great, I love it!

I wouldn't plow with some of them. I say bring back the fine, deep, old world blue, exquisite walnut and hire some of these laid-off, highly skilled workers to build these thing by hand....down with the robots!

Even though, the bots are building some fine(er) Winchesters than from a few years ago.

Sorry for the rant...back to the Hawkeye, they are better now than then....makes you wonder what Ruger was doing....Ruger has to brush up on the aesthetics of these rifles though!

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
December 17, 2009, 11:04 AM
Well said, UM.

ArmedBear
December 17, 2009, 11:12 AM
what's the price...oh, it looks great

When the answer is "400 bucks" that's a whole different story from when the answer is "1000 bucks", though.:)

Horsemany
December 17, 2009, 11:34 AM
Do you have the new 70, Horsemany, or one made in the dying days of New Haven?

AB, I've got a FN Featherweight in 270 Win. that I really like. Just wish they'd left the trigger alone. I have 1 classic from the mid 90's and 2 pre 64s. One's a 1950 Supergrade in box with papers. If there were ever a rifle to dethrone my Rugers in the "indestructible and totally trustworthy" category it'd be the M70. And I consider my 50' Supergrade one of the best production guns ever produced.....ever.

The thing that makes a Ruger so tough IMO is the one-piece bolt and handle(pre 64's are too) and the rock solid scope mount system. You'll notice both the M70 and Ruger are closer to a Mauser 98 than most others. That's a good thing.

Omaha-BeenGlockin
December 17, 2009, 11:36 AM
Had mine about a year now--NIB stainless .30-06 that I paid $450 for----it has been a fantastic rifle----didn't buy it for looks---bought it for ruggedness and accuracy---which it does quite well thank you.

ArmedBear
December 17, 2009, 11:49 AM
NIB stainless .30-06 that I paid $450 for

That's pretty good, and at that price, including scope rings, it's not fair to look too closely at details that go beyond function, and compare it directly to a $1000 rifle.

How's the trigger?

Uncle Mike
December 17, 2009, 12:08 PM
When the answer is "400 bucks" that's a whole different story from when the answer is "1000 bucks", though.

Your right.....

farscott
December 18, 2009, 06:55 AM
Perhaps my local store has not gotten the newer Hawkeyes, but the few samples I have seen in the last few weeks are not up to the fit and finish standards of my daughter's Frontier. There is noticeably less finish work in the Hawkeye, and the bolt felt like it was dragging in sand. I was very disappointed in what I saw and am now looking for another Frontier.

Horsemany
December 18, 2009, 07:15 AM
the bolt felt like it was dragging in sand.

It probably was. It's not uncommon for some blasting media to remain in some of these. I've visually seen media in some Hawkeye actions and had some in a 700 Police ation. Just needs a good cleaning is all.

Omaha-BeenGlockin
December 18, 2009, 10:36 AM
The trigger is so-so-----but I cut my teeth on horrible triggers---so not a big deal and its a sub-MOA shooter with its prefered loads.

ArmedBear
December 18, 2009, 11:12 AM
The trigger on the Model 70 I just picked up is excellent. I stuck a snap cap in it and handed it to my wife to try. She doesn't have much rifle experience, but just one squeeze and even she really noticed how good it felt.

ArmedBear
December 18, 2009, 11:23 AM
There is noticeably less finish work in the Hawkeye

I still think that's true. The Hawkeye is left rougher. The previous 77 Mark II actually had very good fit and finish, even polish, though its reputation for trigger quality and group size was not stellar.

However, the latest ones are not nearly as god-awful as the first ones I messed with. Note that I didn't actually BUY one, I just didn't feel the newest ones deserved the badmouthing I'd given the things.

It probably was. It's not uncommon for some blasting media to remain in some of these.

STUPID STUPID STUPID

I'm sure I'm not the only person who picks up a rifle in the store with tentative plans to buy it, and if it feels like absolute shi'ite, I put it down and look at other options from other companies. Don't companies like Ruger know this -- ESPECIALLY with a new model?

The hell if I'm going to buy a gun and cross my fingers that it will feel better after I've cleaned out the grit. (I'm really not surprised that you found grit in a Remington, but that's just one of many reasons I don't even pick up Remingtons at the store to begin with).

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger Hawkeye reassessment" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!