bushmaster m4 patrolmans barrel vs. 16"heavy fluted barrel

PDA

cwc5
December 16, 2009, 02:13 AM
Any advice on if this would be a good idea to upgrade to this fluted barrel ? I think I can get them to trade me and only pay 65.00 including shipping. I have just never seen their fluted barrel

If you enjoyed reading about "bushmaster m4 patrolmans barrel vs. 16"heavy fluted barrel" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
atblis
December 16, 2009, 02:23 AM
How's the gun shoot now? If it is accurate and reliable, I wouldn't change a thing.

RockyMtnTactical
December 16, 2009, 05:28 AM
What primary purpose will this gun serve? I would prefer a lighter barrel...

Coronach
December 16, 2009, 11:17 AM
What RMT said; what's the use? If your purpose is laying very still and making lots of little tiny groups in distant pieces of paper and/or animals, get the HB. However, if this is a multi-use fighting carbine, go with the lighter barrel.

Mike

Z-Michigan
December 16, 2009, 12:05 PM
What Coronach said.

cwc5
December 16, 2009, 06:07 PM
Thank you all for your time. I guess my main reason would be to have a more accurate rifle. True, I dont shoot over 500 yards, and im not really sure if I would benefit from the fluted heavy barrel. Im not even sure of the weight difference. I guess i need to do more homework. Bushmaster will do the barrel change with a 18 day turnaround for 50.00 plus 16.00 shipping, if that changes any minds. Thanks again, Chris

cwc5
December 16, 2009, 09:05 PM
I stated that I rarely shoot over 500 yds, i meant 300

Z-Michigan
December 17, 2009, 12:04 AM
It would probably add around 1 pound or so. Your biggest accuracy improvement would probably be from a free-float forend, not changing the barrel, although the heavier barrel will probably provide some benefit. Really it depends on your use - if you sit at a bench and shoot paper or varmints, it may be a good swap. If you have much plan to carry the rifle or use it in any kind of action shooting (3-gun, ACTS, etc.) then the lighter barrel is probably better.

matrem
December 17, 2009, 08:06 PM
The Two ARs that I shoot most are a 16" M4gery stamped B/MP 1/9 (same bbl as you're referring to) and a 20" stainless fluted heavy bbl. The heavy bbl is more accurate with all common loads that I've tried.That advantage, however, might equal 1 1/2" at 200 yards. (5 shot group)
After the "newness" of the hvy bbl wore off,I seldom even use it on a 300yd max ground hog field. There is a LOT to be said for lighter weight.

Shadow Man
December 17, 2009, 08:52 PM
For target shooting, a heavy barrel can be a plus. It takes far longer for them to heat up, so your groups will remain tighter. However, once they heat up they take a long time to cool back down.

For 3-gun style competition, a lighter barrel is what you need. Not only does it greatly reduce weight, but the minor reduction in accuracy from a hot barrel is going to be nearly unnoticable in a fast-paced competition.

If you enjoyed reading about "bushmaster m4 patrolmans barrel vs. 16"heavy fluted barrel" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!