Who here prefers a full size carry gun?

PDA

hawk45
December 16, 2009, 03:18 PM
Of all the guns I have, I find myself going for my full size guns more than the compacts. Any others out there prefer full size guns?

If you enjoyed reading about "Who here prefers a full size carry gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mcdonl
December 16, 2009, 03:39 PM
I do, because I cannot carry at work, so when I can carry (Just about every minute I am not working...) I can dress as I see fit. And, I prefer shooting full size and like to shoot what I carry and carry what I shoot :)

Mad Magyar
December 16, 2009, 03:39 PM
Good question...Only in winter, cover garment concealing a full-size Colt 1911A1 in a shoulder holster by Safariland....I noticed very little difference in weight from my Officer's & the full-size Colt...
A full-size on my hip is out-of-the-question due to my health...

Sam1911
December 16, 2009, 03:49 PM
Yes, I do. 1911 or 629, generally.

Every time I get serious about buying a compact or pocket gun it seems I decide to buy more ammo and go shoot the guns I like.

If I worked in an environment that made it hard to conceal a full-sized gun (or could carry at work at all, possibly) I might find a need for one. Haven't yet, though.

-Sam

EddieNFL
December 16, 2009, 03:54 PM
With a weekly exception, full-size 1911 year round.

BlayGlock
December 16, 2009, 04:02 PM
Sometimes I carry a full-size 1911 or Ruger GP100 3" barrel. Not everyday though.

Deanimator
December 16, 2009, 04:06 PM
The smallest semi-auto I carry is a Glock 19. I really don't like any Glock smaller than that. My other carry semi-autos are a Norinco M1911, a Browning High Power, and a Glock 22.

The smallest gun I carry is a S&W Chief's Special which I carry in a pocket holster. I wouldn't carry anything less powerful than a 9x19mm, so all of the .380s and .32s are completely off the table.

I'm satisfied with the size of the guns I have, although I would consider a Springfield MicroCompact or a Commander sized M1911 of some kind.

makarovnik
December 16, 2009, 04:11 PM
I used to carry a full size 1911A1. It is heavy but also slim which is important since my preferred method is IWB. Now I usually carry a TT33 which is almost as big but even slimmer.

CorpITGuy
December 16, 2009, 04:13 PM
My primary carry is a S&W Sigma 40 or a S&W Model 66. Both large guns. Model 66 is HEAVY, too.

BUG is a Bersa .380 CC.... it gets less and less carry these days.

UpTheIrons
December 16, 2009, 04:19 PM
Full size 1911 here. Sure, I've got a Ruger LCR for my "Sunday go-to-meetin" outfit (and likely a Sig P238 soon), but otherwise its the big gun everyday.

Avenger29
December 16, 2009, 04:44 PM
Yes, I much prefer to carry a full size gun. I don't like the weight and size, but simply because I shoot a full size gun the best and practice with them the most it only makes sense for me to carry what I shoot. I carry or have carried a Ruger Security Six (4"bbl), Glock 17, CZ 75 Compact (but it's heavy), and FN HiPower.

My hands are very recoil sensitive. I sold the Glock 17 because it was very uncomfortable for me to shoot.

armoredman
December 16, 2009, 05:52 PM
I used to, a full size steel frame Witness 40, for many years. Now it's the CZ P01, a Compact, but with a properly fitted holster, belt, and clothing, a full size rig can be carried concealed, even in hot old AZ. :)

Creature
December 16, 2009, 06:02 PM
Not me!

Willy G.
December 16, 2009, 06:16 PM
This is what I have.
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/images/ultra_crimson_carry.jpg

LancerMW
December 16, 2009, 06:16 PM
i generally carry a Hi-Power, somtimes when the clothes just call for something lighter i have a Lightweight S&W J-Frame

kanook
December 16, 2009, 06:25 PM
It's kinda funny, my compact Ruger Security Six with its 2 3/4" barrel is about a 1/4" smaller than my full size 1911

sheepdog
December 16, 2009, 06:32 PM
...Ruger KP90DC or GP100 3"...every day...

EddieNFL
December 16, 2009, 06:57 PM
It's kinda funny, my compact Ruger Security Six with its 2 3/4" barrel is about a 1/4" smaller than my full size 1911
That's surprising. I would have thought it was wider than a 1911.

P97
December 16, 2009, 06:59 PM
Ruger KP90DC every day.

jaysouth
December 16, 2009, 10:21 PM
For about 40 years, it was a 1911. Nowadays, in consideration of a badly abused back, I carry a Smith and Wesson M&P 45c. The 1911 actually conceals better because it is slimmer.

sarduy
December 16, 2009, 10:26 PM
i use a sigma and a glock 17

1911 guy
December 17, 2009, 07:13 AM
One of several 1911 types every day. On Sundays I put it in my go to meetin' holster. :p

Shipwreck
December 17, 2009, 07:45 AM
I carry a Beretta 92FS all year long

kanook
December 17, 2009, 10:28 AM
That's surprising. I would have thought it was wider than a 1911. Rugers widest part (cylinder) 1.5
Rugers OAL (mine) 8 1/4"

Kimbers widest part (grips) 1.325
Kimbers OAL (mine) 8 5/8"

So it appears that it is 3/8" shorter but .175 (1/8") wider

easyg
December 17, 2009, 11:58 AM
For about 40 years, it was a 1911. Nowadays, in consideration of a badly abused back, I carry a Smith and Wesson M&P 45c. The 1911 actually conceals better because it is slimmer.
Are you sure that your 1911 is slimmer than your M&P .45c?

The Sig 1911 stainless (standard 1911 dimensions) has a width of 1.4 inches, while the M&P.45c width is only 1.2 inches.

I only bring this point up because it seems that quite a few folk think the 1911 is slimmer than it really is.
I've won more than a few bucks by betting that my Glock G22 is slimmer than the 1911. ;)

As for the original question....

While I like the idea of carrying a full-sized pistol, the reality is that a light-weight compact pistol or revolver is so much more comfortable and easy to carry.

Polish_Pounder
December 17, 2009, 01:30 PM
Where were you measuring? If you measure a 1911 across the grips (with standard grips), you will get about 1.4". If you measure across the slide, you will get under 1". A Glock 22 is about 1.2" across the slide. This makes a huge difference when carrying my Sig 1911 IWB compared to a Glock. Comparing grip measurements can be misleading, as my slim grips from Wilson Combat reduce the grip width to around 1.1".

-Polish

SwampWolf
December 17, 2009, 02:05 PM
Most of the time, I carry my SIG 220 Carry model. There are occasions, however, depending on the social circumstances or weather conditions (all of which can dictate differences in the state and nature of my clothing attire) when one of three other of my ccw handguns (a Ruger LCP, a Colt Cobra or a Smith model 6906) are toted.

mljdeckard
December 17, 2009, 02:15 PM
I have always carried full-size. I tried a Para P-12 once, but I couldn't discern much of an advantage. Full-size autos have higher capacity, bigger sight radius, and soak up more recoil.

blitzen
December 17, 2009, 02:25 PM
Browning High Power 99% of the time. S&W 642 if for some reason the HP can't work. Reason being, that I want something that is going to get me out of the middle of a crap sandwitch if I need it. Not something that might get me by.

Hokkmike
December 17, 2009, 04:23 PM
Because of "smallish" hands I like my PPS.

coppermouse
December 17, 2009, 04:42 PM
no full size for me, I prefer something small and light to carry

easyg
December 17, 2009, 05:19 PM
If you measure across the slide, you will get under 1". A Glock 22 is about 1.2" across the slide. This makes a huge difference when carrying my Sig 1911 IWB compared to a Glock.
I suppose it's all relative, but I wouldn't call 0.2" a HUGE difference.

Mello
December 18, 2009, 12:44 AM
I too prefer a full sized 1911 (I'll include the Commander as full sized) so that I can shoot full power 10mm auto loads and have the mass to counter recoil.

AKElroy
December 18, 2009, 12:55 AM
I carry a G27 in a pocket holster most of the time, but lately I have been carrying a CZ 85b in a Bianchi IWB that I modified because NO ONE ON EARTH makes a holster for this gun.

Clarence
December 18, 2009, 01:01 AM
I tried several compact 1911's but eventually got rid of them all. Now I carry a 5" 1911 in a Milt Sparks VM-2 about 99.9% of the time. The rest of the time I carry a S&W 642.

Avenger29
December 18, 2009, 01:34 AM
I carry a G27 in a pocket holster most of the time, but lately I have been carrying a CZ 85b in a Bianchi IWB that I modified because NO ONE ON EARTH makes a holster for this gun.

CZ-75 holsters should fit?

Not that holsters for them are exactly common. I did order a CZ 75 Compact holster from Bladetech and it should arrive here in a couple of days...

I'm told that holsters for the Sig 226 will sometimes fit a CZ 75...

For some reason, I have a knack for picking out handguns that are hard to get holsters and magazines for...

owlhoot
December 18, 2009, 05:03 AM
I have a lot of full size pistols and I like and enjoy them, but I don't carry them. I can hit with the smaller guns and they are reliable. I don't need or want the extra size and weight.

nwilliams
December 18, 2009, 05:23 AM
I don't mind carrying a full size gun, I just prefer them to be slim and relatively light.

spyderdude
December 18, 2009, 05:25 AM
I often carry a Glock 17 in a Galco shoulder holster. I find shoulder carry to be most comfortable for concealing full size handguns, plus for most of the year I am wearing a coat when I go out anyway.

Gungnir
December 18, 2009, 06:28 AM
I carry my XDm 40 in a Comp-Tac MTAC IWB for the same reason as previously mentioned, shoot what you carry, carry what you shoot.

Concealment isn't an issue I can Concealed carry in Jeans and a T-Shirt if I leave the T-Shirt untucked.

AKElroy
December 18, 2009, 09:37 AM
CZ-75 holsters should fit?

Not if they are fitted well. The ambi controls are quite wide. Thanks for the 226 suggestion; I will look into it.

huntsman
December 18, 2009, 10:28 AM
Who here prefers a full size carry gun?

What defines "full size"? Does it need to be a certain length? Or weight? Or material?

GRIZ22
December 18, 2009, 10:45 AM
If you're serious about SD a full size carry gun is the way to go as long as you are able to conceal it. There are a few "compact" guns like the Glock 19 that are great open or concealed carry guns that really don't give much up.

Quoheleth
December 18, 2009, 11:15 AM
I carry either a Ruger LCR (which I know isn't a full-size) or a Rock Island COmpact (also, not a full-size). I have carried a full-size Springer Loaded. For me, it's not the weight - it's only a couple ounces between the Loaded and RI Compact - it's the OAL. Carrying OWB in a slide holster, when I sit down my wide hips (I'm a Lutheran, what can I say?) push the longer barrel out and hit the gun on the arms of my chair. I've never dislodged the gun, but I have a couple pretty good dings in my office chair, now. I imagine if I tried IWB, I would have a similar issue, but I think I would be tearing my slacks up where the barrel would push outward.

Hopefully Santa will bring me a good IWB holster for my RIA Compact. I really like that gun, but don't yet have an IWB holster. The slide works great, as long as I untuck a shirt or wear a jacket or vest of some kind. There are times & places where that just doesn't fly, though.

Q

orvpark
December 18, 2009, 01:25 PM
I prefer it, but can only manage it comfortably half the year. At 5'10" 155lbs it isn't comfortable when it is 80*+

ZO6Vettever
December 18, 2009, 02:06 PM
S&W Sigma 9VE. Same for the wife.

Landric
December 18, 2009, 02:13 PM
I have three off-duty guns (I'd have more, but pulling out three to qualify with on range days tends to illicit groans, so I'd rather not waste everyone's time while they wait for me to qualify with more, besides, I can make due with 3). They are:

S&W 37-2 Airweight DAO .38 Special (also my on-duty BUG)
Ruger SP101 DAO .357 Magnum
S&W M&P45 .45 ACP

What I carry depends on my mood. I always carry some combination of 2 of the three. Often its the Airweight and the SP101. I have pocket holsters for the Airweight and SP, and an ankle holster for the Airweight. I have IWB holsters for the M&P and SP.

I've been carrying now for about 15 years. I've had a lot of carry guns over that time, but I've always found that with the right IWB holster (and there are a lot of wrong ones) concealing a full-size auto isn't really any harder than concealing a compact or even subcompact. IMO the reason for subcompact autos and lightweight revolvers are non-traditional carry methods. I do sometimes carry my SP101 IWB, but that is more because I like revolvers and the .357 Magnum cartridge very much and the SP fits into a number of roles. If I wasn't limited by qualification to 3 guns, I've have a larger 6 shot .357 or 5-shot .44 Special for IWB carry.

I've had the various compacts and subcompacts over the years. When my duty gun was a Glock 22, I had a Glock 27 for carry. I eventually determined that with the right IWB I could carry the G22 just as easily. The G27 shines for pocket or ankle carry, I can't fit a G22 in either of those places.

My first duty gun was a Beretta 92. I carried it off-duty IWB all the time. My current duty gun is a Beretta 96. It stays in my locker at the PD, not because I can't conceal it, but because I don't care for the .40 S&W in general, and especially in the 96. If it was a 92, I'd probably use it as my primary off-duty.

We have to remember the reason we actually carry these gun(s). Its because there is a slight chance we might actually need them. If I was told ahead of time that I was going to be in a gunfight and I could only bring a handgun, I wouldn't want a small, low power and/or hard to control handgun. I'll be the first to admit that my SP101, which is often my primary off-duty gun, isn't a full-size weapon. However, its heavy enough to make it pretty easy to control, even with the full-power magnum ammunition I carry in it. I have a lot of faith in it. I couldn't say the same about carrying a LCP, LCR, ultralight weight .357, etc. as a primary.

I left the house today carrying my M&P45 IWB and the SP101 in my pocket to run some errands. That is probably the best combination I use, and it was both comfortable and well concealed.

So, my preference is for a full-sized handgun for carry, but I don't always practice what I preach. Not because I can't, but because I just really like my SP101.

EddieNFL
December 18, 2009, 02:14 PM
Wife had a medical procedure this morning and I had to keep her purse. I'll carry a full-size 1911 any day.

General Geoff
December 18, 2009, 03:21 PM
I carry a 5" doublestack 1911 daily, and occasionally carry a Smith 610 (N-frame) revolver with a 6.5" barrel. So yeah, I guess you could say I prefer full size sidearms. :)

SwampWolf
December 18, 2009, 05:26 PM
but lately I have been carrying a CZ 85b in a Bianchi IWB that I modified because NO ONE ON EARTH makes a holster for this gun.

Old World does-and an iwb configuration at that.

Erik M
December 19, 2009, 12:13 AM
Beretta/Taurus 92. I prefer a full size gun that I have alot of range time and confidence in as opposed to a pcoket rocket i cant get 2 fingers around.

QUICK_DRAW_McGRAW
December 19, 2009, 12:20 AM
S&W Sigma Allied Forces in .40S&W Double Tap 180gr in a Grandfather Oak IWB or the M66 with hydrashock JHP 125gr in a Don Hume 715 IWB

buckeye8
December 19, 2009, 12:41 AM
75B, P-07 Duty, 9VE, 586... my favorite things about cold weather!

My Ruger LCP will spend a few months gathering dust.

krs
December 20, 2009, 10:59 AM
I used to carry a Colt Commander. Then I bought a Colt CCO and it fits my Commander holsters. But when Colt came out with their New Agent I had to try one. Now the agent is my carry gun - I've got it modded up some with CT grips and an ambi safety set with the left side lever ground off and flat. I'm a southpaw and this lightweight .45 setup is the best all around carry machine I've figured out so far. The right side safety lever is against me and protected against accidental movement. The gun has no sights and I smoothed it everywhere it might catch. Still a powerful cartridge and surprisingly accurate pistol - all go, not much for show. My idea was to make a .45 auto version of the old style belly guns that some made from Colt revolvers in the 1930's - 1950's. They cut off the trigger gaurd, cut down the grip, ground off the sights, and made themselves a little killing machine with no frills and designed for fast deploy when needed.

Owen
December 20, 2009, 11:04 AM
I typically carry a G17 IWB

wow6599
December 20, 2009, 11:12 AM
My #1 choice is my FS M&P9, but I can't always swing it - that's when the Kel-Tec's come in.

kd7nqb
December 20, 2009, 10:50 PM
I carry an M&P full size in .40 in an IWB MTAC and its a damm good carry rig however there are certain situations that I wish I had a mousegun. I would rather carry a LCP or P3AT than a sub compact that still needs to be on a belt.

kwikrnu
December 21, 2009, 01:00 AM
I prefer a AK-47 pistol. You can't beat 7.62mm, 2300+fps, body armor defeating, and 76 round capacity with a drum mag. Yes, I've been open carryng it.

Island Beretta
December 21, 2009, 04:59 PM
i find that the issue is more about 'shades of thickness' and how we will carry. A Browning HP is way more comfortable for me to carry IWB all day than a Glock 17 yet still the HP is way heavier and has a longer barrel. The Glock 17 is so uncomfortable as it digs me in the side during IWB; OWB is not a problem however. Re: compacts my Beretta 92 FL is carried more than my G19 for IWB. Again the Beretta is just sleeker and a strong belt spreads the weight.

GhostWolf
December 21, 2009, 06:43 PM
With a jacket or sweatshirt, I'll carry my Glock 20 all day, every day. If the jacket is likely to need to come off, then I carry the Glock 29. With the Pearce mag extension, all my fingers are on the pistol, and control isn't a problem. Then again, I'm a big guy unfortunately in all aspects.

If you enjoyed reading about "Who here prefers a full size carry gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!