remington 700 LSS mountain? help...

PDA

franki21
December 16, 2009, 06:53 PM
I ve done a lot of research and i THINK i've decided to go with this in 30-06 for a all-round hunting rifle. 1. I want a remington 2. like the look and idea of a wood laminate for all weather use 3.this will be MY first rifle purchase as my other 30-06 is inherited from dad.

I haven't held one yet so that wil be the ultimate deciding point for me, but my question is: does anyone own one or shot one and if so, what are your first hand experiences with it?

thanks
Frank

If you enjoyed reading about "remington 700 LSS mountain? help..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dakotasin
December 16, 2009, 07:25 PM
does anyone own one or shot one and if so, what are your first hand experiences with it?

1 - yes.
2 - yes.
3 - good, solid rifle. i prefer the walnut version, but that is personal preference.

Uncle Mike
December 16, 2009, 09:24 PM
does anyone own one or shot one and if so, what are your first hand experiences with it?

1 - yes.
2 - yes.
3 - Good rifle. I had two of them, sold the last one a few months back, a sticky bolt 7mmREM.MAG.

They are a 700.... Plywood stock that looks wonderful for what it is, semi-gloss finish, more towards the 'flat' finish side of the scale.

For me, and this is just my observation, it was horribly balanced, but in fairness, I did have a Burris Black Diamond 4-16X50mm on top of it.

Accuracy was in the 1.5"@100y range, but was consistent, this being Hornady ammo.
Reloads would have brought her around, I imagine.

If you have ever fondled a CDL, your close to the LSS. The LSS has a wee bit higher comb.
Magnum weight barrel at 24", as always, a nice Remington trigger.....

The only problems I had with either one of them was an extremely tight bolt, so tight once you fired the rifle, a rawhide mallet was needed to open the bolt.
Remington fixed them, as I wasn't going to do it, should have been right from the git go.

They are a pretty rifle, matte stainless and medium brown laminated stock with black forend tip. The barrel is not floated and you should not remove the pressure point at the end of the stock...it will do more harm than good, so we have seen here at the shop.

I have to agree with dakotasin...I do prefer the walnut stocks!

franki21
December 17, 2009, 09:27 AM
thanks, that is great info. I too like the walnut stocks but i'm not crazy about the fluted barrel on the Rem 700 SSF. Just looks a little too fancy i think. Wonder if I could get it with a full Stainless 24" ?

Uncle Mike
December 17, 2009, 10:01 AM
Wonder if I could get it with a full Stainless 24" ?

Get what with a 24" full stainless...? A SSF, NO-

Get the LSS and change the stock, about your only choice. The laminated stock of the LSS isn't bad looking, it has wonderful contrast.

If you were to entertain the stock swap thing, you might want to get a SPS stainless, much cheaper, same rifle except for the roll mark(Limited) on the receiver.

Everybody likes to have their own 'personalized' rifle, that's why there are so many different configurations the manufactures offer, but they(the manufacturers) want to make a extra buck off of them!

franki21
December 17, 2009, 10:32 AM
great idea. do you recommend a particular place for quality remington stocks?

Uncle Mike
December 17, 2009, 11:27 AM
Remington....
or
Right now Numrich is rolling out all their stocks at some VERY attractive prices! 1-866-686-7424

If you enjoyed reading about "remington 700 LSS mountain? help..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!