22 revolver vs 22 rifle

PDA

Fat Boy
December 17, 2009, 11:48 AM
Starting with the assumption that a guy has a good quality, accurate 22 revolver, the purpose of which is plinking, and could serve to harvest small game, and be a general carry-gun for backpacking, and wants to keep his collection small and purpose driven- What benefit would there be to adding, say a 1022 Ruger in .22lr?

If you enjoyed reading about "22 revolver vs 22 rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
7X57chilmau
December 17, 2009, 11:56 AM
Higher energy (from the longer barrel), lower noise (longer barrel), better accuracy for ranges beyond 25yds (assuming it has a better sight radius (guaranteed) or is fitted with optics)...

Besides.... Who doesn't need a 22lr rifle?

J

mcdonl
December 17, 2009, 11:57 AM
The obvious is they use the same ammo. But, if part of the "purpose" is back packing maybe a semi-auto is not the best bet. But plinking, hard to beat the 10/22. I have the same combo and they ALWAYS go to the range with me.

svaz
December 17, 2009, 12:00 PM
Typically, a rifle will reach farther, more accurately (it has a longer sight radius meaning you will shoot straighter), with more energy. A handgun, IMHO, is for use when packing a rifle is not practical.

Ed Harris
December 17, 2009, 03:02 PM
Even the most rudimentary .22 rifle with open sights is going to be more accurate than all but the very best target .22 handguns equipped with optical sights. In my experience any .22 auto pistol with 6 inch barrel in which you can still see rifling will put all but the very best .22 target revolvers to shame. I love my wheelguns as much as anyone, but I use .22 revolvers only as trainers and plinkers. The survival ruck carries a 6-7/8 inch High Standard.

http://shilohtv.com/?attachment_id=3589

mustang_steve
December 17, 2009, 03:09 PM
some revolvers are capable of hitting well further than 25yds. S&W used to promise that their 6" K-22 would be capable of landing 5 shots within a 1.5" circle at 50yds. Given, that's more than most of us can achieve manually.

Honestly, I think the rifle would be better from the aspect of easier to load when in the cold....just put in another magazine. No fumbling with those tiny rounds. Very glove friendly IMO.

eye5600
December 17, 2009, 03:44 PM
Fat Boy, you say "purpose driven", but you don't give much of a hint to the purpose. If you find the ranges a bit too long for the revolver, then a rifle makes sense.

On the other hand, if you've been looking at a 10/22 in the gun shop and thinking, that's really cool, I'd like one them, then buying it makes sense in a different way. If you want a rifle for back packing, you may find a model of the Marlin 60 that breaks down easier.

9mmepiphany
December 17, 2009, 05:28 PM
has a good quality, accurate 22 revolver...- What benefit would there be to adding, say a 1022 Ruger in .22lr?

none

however an accurate bolt action .22lr...like a CZ 452...would add range and more certain shot placement

Erik M
December 17, 2009, 05:48 PM
for plinking Id say a ruger single 6 or a heritage rough rider if you want to save some bills for ammo. If it actually going to be used to take small game I would go with a 10/22, marlin 60 or my favorite a bolt action savage mark 2.

mljdeckard
December 17, 2009, 05:52 PM
I just inherited my dad's 10/22, it's the rifle I learned to shoot with. Before I qualify, I spend a couple of weekends on the range with it, shooting a bajillion rounds at 100 meters, just to get the rhythm locked in. (I need some bigger magazines.)

rmfnla
December 17, 2009, 07:00 PM
'Cause .22 rifles are fun! :D

deputy tom
December 17, 2009, 10:22 PM
While not directing this in any particular direction,I believe everyone should have a .22 handgun and a .22 rifle.Your choice of which type and brand.tom.

svaz
December 18, 2009, 11:02 AM
I believe everyone should have a .22 handgun and a .22 rifle.
It should be a new tradition: The Male Baby Shower - All your buddies pool their money & buy the kid a single-shot bolt-action .22. ;)

huntsman
December 18, 2009, 11:44 AM
Starting with the assumption that a guy has a good quality, accurate 22 revolver, the purpose of which is plinking, and could serve to harvest small game, and be a general carry-gun for backpacking, and wants to keep his collection small and purpose driven- What benefit would there be to adding, say a 1022 Ruger in .22lr?
The only reason to pack a .22 cal pistol (instead of a rifle) is convenience.

Overall the rifle will give you consistency accuracy and flexibility over the pistol. The .22 pistol is fun to shoot and everyone should get one when they can.

But if I where putting together a small arsenal I'd got with a .22cal rifle and a centerfire pistol before I bought a .22pistol.

Fat Boy
December 18, 2009, 01:14 PM
Deleted

Fat Boy
December 18, 2009, 01:16 PM
Thanks again for the great replies!

22-rimfire
December 18, 2009, 05:09 PM
More is better. You need a 22 rifle. The Ruger 10/22 is an okay choice, but I wouldn't carry it backpacking unless I was small game hunting also. I would lean toward something with a tad more punch... think Marlin 1894 in 357 mag.

oldfool
December 19, 2009, 07:45 AM
any .22 auto pistol with 6 inch barrel in which you can still see rifling will put all but the very best .22 target revolvers to shame.

Not so

aside from high end competition guns, Buckmarks and MKs typically shoot tighter groups than almost all other common 22 pistols... and I have never yet seen a K-17 that doesn't group at least as well, if not better than... and SOME lower price revolvers will hold their own w/ mentioned pistols

and I have seen a lot of 22 rimfire rifles that will not come close to any of the above, including more than one 10/22

(but a Hi-standard 22 target pistol is not your average pistol, anything but)

oldfool
December 19, 2009, 07:58 AM
short version... everybody ought to own a 22 rifle "just because"
but if certain you want to go with a semi-auto, look hard at Marlin model 60 before you go 10/22

all "affordable class" 22 rifles subject to "luck of the draw", might get an especially good one, or especially poor one, any make/model, but as "expectations" go, the model 60 is arguably the best bang for your buck in semi-auto 22

long version, surf RFC (rimfire central) forum... endless info on all rimfires
they have an entire 10/22 cult over there too, if that's your thing

have fun !

Vern Humphrey
December 19, 2009, 12:11 PM
For plinking and backpacking, a handgun is fine. But for real hunting, go with a rifle.

I take it from your post, you are not an experienced hunter. You will find hunting with a handgun a very frustrating experience -- especially if you only get to hunt on rare occasions. A handgun for small game hunting is a tool for a very experienced hunter and a very good shot.

If you enjoyed reading about "22 revolver vs 22 rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!