Everyone knows a guy like this!

PDA

David E
December 17, 2009, 04:41 PM
Do you have a buddy that owns guns? Sometimes, you discuss what gun/caliber is best for this or that and he'll tell you (over and over) about "the shot" he made, or how great a shot in general he is. He considers himself to be a "serious" shooter/gunowner.

He seems to have a solid knowledge base, so you rarely find a need to disagree with him. You find his posts thoughtful and convincing. He's so thorough, it's as if he just completed online research before posting.

He owns a pristine Dillon, backed by lots of components neatly stacked on the shelves. Curiously, you see only a box or two of loaded ammo, and that's factory loaded Winchester.....

He has advice on all things "gun" and may even own the model you're curious about. In fact, it's his defense gun. When he finally shows it to you, you find yourself looking down the muzzle a couple times until he hands it to you. Immediately, you check and clear it. Empty chamber, but loaded magazine..... :scrutiny:

As you look at it, you notice how clean it is. In fact, it hardly shows any wear marks at all. It even looks.......... unfired .....

Suddenly, it dawns on you that you've never seen him shoot. All the tales of great shots come into question, so you suggest (yet again) that you go to the range later that week so you can learn a few things from him. (hoping he'll take the bait) He's busy, of course, as the range is 40 minutes away and costs $12.50 for all day access. You'll pay the fees, per your standing offer, but there's that 40 minute drive thing...

You ask, "Don't you want to keep your skills up?" He predictably replies: "Hell, I know I'm good enough to cut a man in half and that's good enough for me."

As usual, you're disappointed, but it wasn't unexpected. You sigh a little bit as you hand back his Browning Hi Power with the slide locked back, magazine out. You're not terribly surprised as he fumbles with the mag catch first, then the thumb safety before chancing upon the slide catch to drop the slide hard on an empty chamber. He tries to put the magazine in backwards at first, but corrects it quickly and seats it home. "There!" he says triumphantly, "Now I'm good to go!"

I know some guys like that. Do YOU know guys like that?

Are YOU a guy like that?

If you enjoyed reading about "Everyone knows a guy like this!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
wishin
December 17, 2009, 04:49 PM
It depends...........What did you say your name is?;)

David E
December 17, 2009, 04:53 PM
Musta hit pretty close to home................

CoRoMo
December 17, 2009, 04:55 PM
I don't know anyone quite like that, but close.

I know guys who buy guns, never really clean them initially, never really make an effort to shoot them, and they never ever try to disassemble them. They'll just buy a Moss500 and load it up and slide it under the bed, "for home defense". :banghead:
I know guys who buy a hunting rifle, mount a scope on it, and do a half-@$$ job of sighting it in, and when they finally get one round to land within half a foot of the point of aim, they're satisfied and they put the gun away for the long wait until hunting season.:banghead:

Magic_Man
December 17, 2009, 04:58 PM
I do not.

hso
December 17, 2009, 05:00 PM
More people own guns than shoot guns. More enthusiasts own guns than shoot them.

gatorjames85
December 17, 2009, 05:05 PM
Nope, I don't really know any per se gun collectors (where the thrill of collecting outweighs the thrill of use). Most people I know that own guns are first and foremost shooters/hunters. Not that there is anything wrong with a collector's mindset.

David E
December 17, 2009, 05:05 PM
I had the opportunity to take the guy who knew he "could cut a man in half" 10 years after he made that statement.

He couldn't figure out how to work his own gun.

David E
December 17, 2009, 05:06 PM
Collectors are one thing, they don't tell you how great a shot they are, etc.

Larry Ashcraft
December 17, 2009, 05:09 PM
My wife works with a woman who, with her husband, bought a 9mm handgun to take camping with them. They bought the gun a year or so ago and have taken it camping a few times, but neither one of them has actually fired the gun.

My wife thinks she has the woman talked into buying her husband CCW training for Christmas.

Schofield3
December 17, 2009, 05:13 PM
So basically your friend is mostly all talk at this point?

M2 Carbine
December 17, 2009, 06:38 PM
I don't think I've ever had one of those know it alls that shot on my range that I wasn't concerned they were going to miss the whole berm.

rmfnla
December 17, 2009, 06:51 PM
"All hat and no cattle..."

Ryder
December 17, 2009, 07:04 PM
...you find yourself looking down the muzzle a couple times until he hands it to you

I can put up with a lot of crap from people but this would be no buddy of mine.

Rembrandt
December 17, 2009, 07:05 PM
.....Do YOU know guys like that?

You forgot to add their source of knowledge came from their experience as a Navy Seal, Sniper, and master kungfoo knife thrower.....

Tommygunn
December 17, 2009, 07:11 PM
:o It's been so long since I've got to the range I'm beginning to feel like this guy ...... :eek::confused:

walker944
December 17, 2009, 07:18 PM
My dad drives me crazy!! He owns plenty of guns in various calibers and denominations (handguns, rifles, shotguns, etc), but when I get him to the range to shoot, he only brings his .22 revolver and .22 rifle. He buys ammo for every gun he buys, but never shoots a single one of them. He's been like this for years and years. He's now 82 yrs old, and is starting to give his guns to us kids. I never look a gift horse in the mouth, but it drives me crazy every time he goes and buys another gun. He recently bought a .410 pump and a .22 rifle. I'm sure he'll never shoot either one. The other thing that kills me is he thinks (and always has) the .22 LR is the ultimate in home defense. At this point I totally give up trying to convince him otherwise. :banghead:

pharmer
December 17, 2009, 07:19 PM
All kinds of people own guns. I don't spend any time judging them, unless they sweep me with a muzzle. Then it's on. Joe

Erik M
December 17, 2009, 07:19 PM
I worked with a guy kinda like that in college. He said that he worked for his familys logging buysiness in his downtime. Said that he had a chainsaw in one hand and kept an SKS slung across his back in case he ran across that 'monster buck' while clear cut logging in the Appalachian mountains. I remember he used to wear his Realtree camo to our workstudy alot.

Legionnaire
December 17, 2009, 07:21 PM
No, I don't think I do. The gun guys I know may not shoot a lot, but they know how to shoot.

WalkAbout
December 17, 2009, 07:23 PM
I definitely own more guns that I shoot. I'll fire my carry gun maybe 50-100rds every other month or so. I have some others that I like to shoot every time I go to the range. It's a matter of logistics for me more than anything. The nearest range that I can shoot a centerfire rifle at is close to an hour away, closed a good portion of the year, and requires me to shoot through concrete tubes from benches that are simply not made for me, requiring an awkward half sitting half standing position to fire my rifle. Firing offhand is an even bigger PITA. The closest handgun range to me requires that I purchase my ammo from them, which is probably 25% more expensive than what I can buy at Wal-Mart or somewhere else on top of a range fee. For me to go there and shoot 100 rounds of 9mm is a 65 dollar event. As a result, I do still have 2 handguns and a shotgun that have never been shot. Now mind you, none of them are ever used for a carry gun, except for one which I will occasionally keep in my truck as a backup to my carry gun. That particular gun was bought used from a police dept. so I have faith enough in it for a backup that it'll fire when I need it to.

All that being said, I don't claim to be the greatest shot in the world, but a deer sized target within range of any of my shotguns had best be thinking small if I shoot at it. If it's within 150 yards of my muzzleloader or 250 yards of any of my hunting rifles, same deal. I could probably push the rifles further, but I'm not blessed like some people are on this board with 1000 yard fields in my back yard. So I make due with what I've got and take advantage of shooting opportunities when the place and ammo arises.

b

DFW1911
December 17, 2009, 07:27 PM
I don't know anyone like that. Most of my shooting companions, and friends who shoot, are precisely that: shooters.

Some are very good and some are not so very good, but we're all trying to improve.

wyohome
December 17, 2009, 07:34 PM
Owning a few guns and being able to use them effectively is part of the lifestyle here. I happen to own a few more than most, but my 'users' are in good mechanical shape but all scratched up. People like you mention probably run in different circles than I do, I don't even own a cowboy hat, nor do I know how many foot pounds of energy it take to shoot any particular animal. I believe they are just like us and will die shortly after losing their lung and heart function. ;)

SharpsDressedMan
December 17, 2009, 07:39 PM
Nope. All my friends actually SHOOT. And some of them are DAMN good. I think we all manage to never get into a mano y mano situation, so that we never have to live down actually being inferior to the other. We shoot together, but never push the "I'm better than you" thing. Usually, if one misses the target, it make him mad; buckles down, and doesn't miss the next time. Keeps the edge going for all of us. We poke a little fun, but not enough to get into a pissn match.

GunsAmerica Fan
December 17, 2009, 07:43 PM
I have never met a braggart in all my years of shooting. Plenty of us are gun guys who have periods of life that we don't get to the range. I don't go to the range just to shoot. I'm shooting video, or taking people shooting who ask me to teach them to shoot. I don't feel that gun owners are braggarts by nature.

iiibdsiil
December 17, 2009, 07:51 PM
I have a friend that is convinced you have to have a .45 because anything smaller isn't going to stop anyone over 175lbs. He's the same guy that owns a TON of guns, and can only tell you about those. He's also the same guy that doesn't have a clue on how to disassemble them to clean them, so he just blows them down with an air compressor and doesn't relube.

I've detail stripped almost every gun I've owned. I always worked on cars for a living and am very hands on. He didn't trust me to field strip his Glock (before I owned one and have ever field stripped one) that he was trying to get apart. I had it apart in about 45 seconds having never done it before. Pulling the trigger got me. The reason he wanted it apart was because it was "broken." The slide wouldn't stay back without a magazine in it. Duh.

I did start a thread on why my new Sig 220 wouldn't feed correctly. I didn't have the mag inserted fully but the mag well was tight enough to keep the mag up. Felt like an idiot for sure. Don't think I'm "that guy" though. ;)

SteveCase
December 17, 2009, 07:54 PM
Im that guy except I actually know how to work a pistol, and even though i shoot, im not that good

Shadow Man
December 17, 2009, 08:00 PM
Everyone knows a guy like this!

I, fortunately, do not. All of my friends (and I can say that confidently, being able to count them all on two hands) are shooters. Pure and simple.

Darkninja
December 17, 2009, 09:13 PM
I don't know anyone really like that. But I know plenty of guys that think they know a helluva lot more about guns than they do. I usually just smile and nod along with what they're saying. My actually friends that I shoot with, are that, shooters.

Dulvarian
December 17, 2009, 09:42 PM
Lol. Lucky for me, I pretty much always have witnesses with me when I go shoot, and/or take pictures of my targets. All of my friends trust me enough that the picture is proof.

I am not 'the best' but I am good enough that I can pick up a gun that I have never seen and puzzle my through it in a few minutes. I can take about anything that shoots accurately and put it on a target. (I have shot a few guns that are simply not accurate as well.)

But, I'm also well read and have shot enough in the past that when I go out with a friend that isn't as experienced, I can normally give them some pointers and get them to improve a little.

As for my friend sweeping me, I would simply call the bluff on skills and simply challenge them. Get them to man up to going, and then on the way there (I pretty much always drive) I would talk about it. We would shoot, and call it a day.

Unfortunately for me, I know a lot more about guns than most of the people that I work with. I have been labeled as 'the gun guy' and I get all kinds of questions about things that I have no idea at all about. Lol, the upshot to that is that I am an E7, and I have to be damn sure that I am telling some E3 or E4 the whole truth, all the truth, and nothing but the truth because so help me God he is going to take it as the truth.

And for the record, best shot 'evar' was 1" off bullseye at 100 yards with a Glock 21SF. (Had a good friend of mine spotting for me on his deer rifle.) Of course, it took me three shots to get on the full size silhouette at that distance. I got that shot (which I couldn't believe), and then got the next nine in about a 1 foot circle with no more spotting.

Lol, and no, for the record I don't know anyone like that about shooting. Golf, yes. Cars, yes. I know, I shouldn't be trying to write on here while I am watching my wife's football team.

-eaux-
December 17, 2009, 10:05 PM
sounds like the kinda guy i don't hang out with.

orionengnr
December 17, 2009, 10:09 PM
I know some guys like that. Do YOU know guys like that?
Honestly, I don't.
A bunch of guys at work talk more about shooting than they actually shoot, but I've seen most of them shoot and they are at the very least competent and safe.
None of them talk about how good they are, or talk about how tacticool they are. Most of us are former military, and none of us claim to be SEALs, Delta, Green Berets, etc.

Maybe I'm just lucky. The fact that most of us are 50+ doesn't hurt; I guess we burned up a lot of our testosterone already and don't need to impress everyone.
We are still competitive and will try hard to outshoot one another, but we don't crow about it or talk smack afterwards.

kda
December 17, 2009, 10:31 PM
I agree with the 50+ comment above. You reach a point where posturing is no longer worth the effort and most have learned that can even get you into trouble, either socially or physically.

I guess there IS an advantage to growing older ... most finally learn who and what they are and how to live comfortably with that. Make acquiring and keeping friends that much easier too. Well, at least as long as we don't start talking politics.

Lastmohecken
December 17, 2009, 10:36 PM
I don't know, I recond I have seen all kinds, and some do scare the heck out of me, but for the most part, the people I shoot with, and work with, are resonably safe in their gun handling, but many do not really know how to strip down every gun they own, but they do know how to load and shoot it. And most are pretty fair shots, and many are darn good hunters, but I do live in an area, where it's very common to be a hunter, most every one owns a few guns, and some own quite a few.

Isher
December 17, 2009, 10:46 PM
I don't know about you guys, but if

I broke even one of the basic rules,

My Dad would leave me the equivalent of

Standing naked in the driveway.

And this would be starting in 1954.

FWIW.

isher

HammerheadSSN663
December 17, 2009, 10:50 PM
Or the guy that would always come in the office on Monday morning during hunting season bragging about the deer brains he splattered all over the tree.

Only to have died by heart attack out in the woods while deer hunting.

Ironic.

happygeek
December 17, 2009, 11:44 PM
I must admit I am curious what prompted this thread, along with the What would it take? thread. Did the OP run into some know it all at the range or gunstore or something?

I don't own any guns that'll "cut a man in half", shotguns haven't caught my interest yet and other things have taken the budget lately. I do have a bolo knife from the southern Philippines next to my bed though, it's capable of opening up a coconut.

happygeek
December 17, 2009, 11:57 PM
This kinda goes with both threads, but every hobby has a group within a group, if you will. There's different levels of hobbyists. For example, there's geeks and there's gamers. Gamers might know hardware, build their own desktops, and get Windows up and running from scratch. However, they don't know much, if at all, about networking, *nix, programming, etc. as a hardcore geek would. To the average joe who doesn't know much at all computers, a gamer would appear very knowledgeable. To a hardcore geek, a gamer seems entry level in their chosen hobby.

I'm sure there's plenty of people who own guns but guns aren't one of their hobbies. I know a few such people and I know people who only own guns because they like hunting. Personally, I don't know jack about hunting, so to such people I'd seem ignorant. Heck, to a diehard C++ programmer or Unix sysadmin I seem pretty ignorant.

orbitup
December 17, 2009, 11:59 PM
I know people like that with trucks. They spend all kinds of money fixing them up, but could probably get stuck in their front yard.

Like previously stated..... "All hat and no cattle."

chevyforlife21
December 18, 2009, 12:03 AM
nope

AKElroy
December 18, 2009, 12:15 AM
Sounds like a convincing amount of detail. Surely no introspection here; but I must ask. Are YOU like that? <-:

No, I do not know anyone like that. There is no way for sure to know who in this forum is a poser, and who actually walks the road they describe.

I am thrilled to have found this site. Frankly, I do not have anyone outside of my immediate family aware of what I have & what I do with it.

This forum gives me the ability to have conversations that I cannot have with those that do not understand or appreciate the hobby.

I get nothing out of it without being honest, I would hope and I assume everyone else is the same until proven otherwise.

AKElroy
December 18, 2009, 12:20 AM
I know people like that with trucks. They spend all kinds of money fixing them up, but could probably get stuck in their front yard.

I have a friend who HAD to have a 4X4 Tundra after driving mine. Not a scratch on it, never been offroad, never been dirty that I can tell. Has Lucchesi head rests, though. Very manly.

I'm used to gasps at the car wash--Where have you BEEN with this thing?? Not for the mud, but the Texas pinstripes.

I baby my guns. I destroy my truck. I am comfortable that this is the proper way of things.

B yond
December 18, 2009, 12:55 AM
Don't know anyone like that.

I have to say though, that if anyone did point a gun at me I wouldn't associate with that person anymore. Ignorance is one thing, but I can't be around dangerous ignorance. My family expects me home alive.

David E
December 18, 2009, 01:44 AM
The opening story was fictional, but some of the story elements were inspired by real people.

One guy told me he didn't need to practice with his BHP, as he could "cut a man in half." Years later, I was saddened to confirm my suspicions about his severe lack of gun prowess.

Another guy seems to "know a lot," but is fairly clueless. He's a big fish in a small puddle, so he has a higher opinion of his guns and skills than is warranted. He loads the worst looking ammo I've ever seen generated by a Dillon. His multiple misfires and failures to feed are the fault of the gun, never the ammo. He thinks his SKS can keep up with an AR "until the reload." At a match, he did point a loaded and cocked gun at me (another BHP) due to his total stupidity. He swept 2 others and he was immediately dq'd. I was his 50 minute ride home, tho, most of which was in silence. I stopped associating with him after that.

There is a guy who comes to the Gun Chat forum on AOL who seems to know everything there is about some arcane gun topic. Like, what did the Swiss use in 1932 and what was their rifle qualification course? It's become clear he does all kinds of online research so he can demonstrate this "knowledge" hoping to impress the rest of us. He brags about how good of a shot he is, but another Gun Chatter lives within 20 minutes of him and has invited him countless times to shoot or at least watch a match. He never can, of course. Turns out he's 40+ living at home in Mom's basement.

This thread was sparked by these experiences which I was reminded of by some of the responses in the other thread.

mustang_steve
December 18, 2009, 01:53 AM
Bah, I know what I know...which isn't much, but possibly enough.

I'm not a bad shot, but I can be better. I could practice more, but am glad I don't practice less.

My firearms are few, but I know them as well as I can at this period in time. Not enough things have gone wrong with them for me to truly know them insaide out....this probably means they're good guns.

My ammo supply is thin and I've tried few others...perhaps that's a flaw, perhaps it just means I'm happy with what I have.

All in all, I'd love to know more, but really don't give a hoot about buying more.

Well, unless it's a Derringer or one of those Cimmaron revolvers, I want one :)

MachIVshooter
December 18, 2009, 02:24 AM
Don't know anyone like that, but I can't even begin to explain my irritation with the gamer kids who come into the gunshop I help out at and start spouting off about all the latest military weaponry. Yes, the video game programmers are fairly accurate these days. No, playing call of duty doesn't make you a weapons expert or a good shot, and no one behind the counter is impressed by a chubby 20 year old kid who can parrot information obtained from a friggin' GAME.

Nothing wrong with video gaming, if that's your thing. But remember to separate it from life, and only talk about the games with other gamers. People who don't play couldn't care less. Kinda like us gun nuts keep it within our circle.

DAVIDSDIVAD
December 18, 2009, 02:33 AM
Yep, there's this marine that is a friend of a friend, that brags about his lugers, KRISS SUPER V.

He told us once "Yeah, I shot a pigeon with my Kriss"

We asked "but why?"

He responded " they aggravated me"

MarineOne
December 18, 2009, 02:33 AM
My neighbor is a classic example.

I was home on vacation from my overseas job and he stopped by while I was in the process of cleaning my small armory. He finger faddled my SKS while he was talking about how he's shot this gun and that gun, and his dad has some land they all go shooting on .... until he flips the rear sight up 90 degrees so it's perpendicular to the barrel.

That's when I took it from it, put it back in it's bag, and told him to leave.

I still catch hell from the wife about how I "handled" that situation, but after all, it's my rifle.

Kris

Drail
December 18, 2009, 07:46 AM
Every range I have ever worked at or used (in several states) has busloads of these guys show up every year about 2 days before deer season opens to "sight in" their guns. :what:

762 shooter
December 18, 2009, 08:06 AM
Your "buddy's" comments and actions would only impress non-gun people.

I guess there are worse hobbies for him to wanabe.

He could waste all of his time and money donating to the Bradys.

Don't be bashful about reminding anyone about the Four Rules.

Live and let Bull$#!t.

Just One Shot
December 18, 2009, 08:54 AM
I don't know them personally but I may have seen them at some of the gun shows.

Ohio Gun Guy
December 18, 2009, 08:54 AM
To the guy whos dad is 82.....

It propably hurts his shoulder to shoot things with recoil. my Grandfather is about that old and he shoots .22 & .22mag. He still buys other stuff occasionally because he really likes them or has always wanted one. It probably dissapoints him as much but doesnt want to own up to his declining physical abilities.

BTW: He was a WW2 Crewman on the USS New Jersey (Battle Wagen).

huntsman
December 18, 2009, 09:17 AM
This is good, a thread about what someone knows or doesn't know on a medium where things may or may not be as they seem.

As for what I know, I quote Sergeant Schultz “I know nothing……”

AKElroy
December 18, 2009, 09:24 AM
"I did a guy in Laos from a thousand yrds out. Maybe 3 guys in the world could have made that shot..."

Riggs

DocCas
December 18, 2009, 09:40 AM
Had a friend from church about 10 years ago who had guns and liked to sit around and shoot the breeze about them and how accurate they were (and how well he could shoot them). When asked where he got his shooting experience he would just say, "I am ex-military." But I could never get him to come to the range with me! Finally, after about 2 years he agreed to come and do some pistol shooting. Much to my surprise he could do exactly what he said he could. Turns out he WAS a former SEAL. Officer, no less! Sometimes you just can't tell. :)

mcdonl
December 18, 2009, 10:25 AM
I just have friends. I don't scrutinize and judge them on what they say about guns. Who cares, if they are friends and I like them that they are friends and I like them... faults and all.

I have a saying. "You are only as good to me behind my back as you are about others behind their backs...."

Ky Larry
December 18, 2009, 10:37 AM
Gun owners are people. They come in good, bad, and ugly, just like every one else.

wishin
December 18, 2009, 10:59 AM
The opening story was fictional, but some of the story elements were inspired by real people.

Don't quit your day job DavidE! :D

Dr.Mall Ninja
December 18, 2009, 11:26 AM
I don't know anyone really like that. But I know plenty of guys that think they know a helluva lot more about guns than they do. I usually just smile and nod along with what they're saying. My actually friends that I shoot with, are that, shooters. i know alot of people like that!

Jonah71
December 18, 2009, 11:34 AM
I was a great shot....from age 11 to about 25. When I lost the sight in my right eye, I gave up shooting any kind of rifle. Was OK with handguns after that but never was able to shoot even close to above average. Now, that I'm a bit older, I just try to hit what I aim at from 25 yards or less (usually less). I feel confident I can still defend myself fast enough and accurately enough from the short distance of 25-30 feet with any of my handguns, but will never win any marksmanship awards. I know what it's like to feel real pain simply from too much adreniline pumping and how it feels to have pissed your pants without even realizing it until after the adreniline slows down and the shaking begins. Real fear can produce some very unexpected and unpredictable reactions. That's what I like about paper. It doesn't scare me a bit. I fire every handgun I own (with one exception) on a regular basis.

Jonah71
December 18, 2009, 11:39 AM
And btw, I don't know that much about handguns. Very little actually. I just try to learn everything I can about the ones I do own.

happygeek
December 18, 2009, 12:03 PM
David E wrote:

There is a guy who comes to the Gun Chat forum on AOL who seems to know everything there is about some arcane gun topic. Like, what did the Swiss use in 1932 and what was their rifle qualification course? It's become clear he does all kinds of online research so he can demonstrate this "knowledge" hoping to impress the rest of us. He brags about how good of a shot he is, but another Gun Chatter lives within 20 minutes of him and has invited him countless times to shoot or at least watch a match. He never can, of course. Turns out he's 40+ living at home in Mom's basement.

Good God, this is why I quit using Myspace with any regularity awhile ago. Too many attention wh*res, posers, people trying to be more popular online than they are in real life, etc.

One of the things I've noticed in THR vs Myspace is that the gun related pics you see on Myspace are, for the most part, dudes trying to make themselves look badass by posing with a gat. On THR, I have not yet seen that, thank God! 90% plus of the pics I've seen on here are of just the gun, often in an artful pose.

After using Myspace for a short time before getting fed up and being off and on with Facebook and other sites, I now spend the vast majority of my time online on THR, my other forum, wikipedia, and The Wall Street Journal.

gym
December 18, 2009, 03:45 PM
No, I usually don't talk about guns unless it's here. My friends aren't in to them. I have been all my life and at 61, I would rather keep it to myself rather than get some anti, bent out of shape explaining why I have a gun or like guns or any of the usual time consuming questions.. Unless someone displays an interest, and asks me I don't bring it up. We have spoken many times about concealed carry, and not to get off track of this gentlman's post, to me concealed means hidden. And if you really want to hide something, you refrain from discussing it in public. It's like a secret, once revealed it's no longer a secret.

TX1911fan
December 18, 2009, 04:35 PM
I've never met anyone like that because I don't like to be that critical of people. If someone acts like that around me, then I avoid them rather than have to listen to BS and then complain about it.

CoRoMo
December 18, 2009, 04:42 PM
I know a guy who once told me he has an, "Atlantic Arms (http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/) AR15. The same type that the Army is issued. Have you seen it? It is mounted on an arm that is attached to a metal body harness that they wear and when it recoils, it juts out to the side".

Hesitantly, I asked, what the brand name of the gun? "Atlantic Arms", he says.
And you own one? I ask. Yep! he replied.

The next time I was at his house, I asked to see that AR15 he told me about. Oops! He sold it not long ago.:rolleyes:

Yeah right. I hate BS artists.:fire:

U.S.SFC_RET
December 18, 2009, 04:57 PM
There are those who "try to fit in" and not to get in any deeper about it they are insecure. Some of see em a mile away long beforehand.

As a rule of thumb you are the company you keep.

KevininPa
December 18, 2009, 05:51 PM
" It's been so long since I've got to the range I'm beginning to feel like this guy ......"

Got plenty of time. No work for awhile so my range time has been cut back SEVERELY! Used to be out every two to three weeks, now it's every-now-and-then. I reload but even my reloading is being rationed due to supplies being scarce or me not having funds at the time.
However, I was out just two weeks ago and found that my "cutting-men-in-half" skills ;) haven't slipped too much. Though I have noticed a slip in accuracy. Of course that could be aging too!:) Just not ready to admit to getting close to the 1/2 century mark yet!

B yond
December 18, 2009, 08:33 PM
I know it all, and by that, I mean I know how to use google.

:cool:

BADSBSNF81
December 18, 2009, 08:34 PM
Don't know anyone like that. On any given day, with any given weapon, a friend I've had for over 30 years can beat me or lose to me. In our younger days I would shade him with a rifle and he was the same with a handgun. We would swap out weapons and never needed to adjust sights or scopes. These days with bi-focals, we can't quite do that. On a day when we're both "on", folks at a range can hardly believe some of the shots we make. Comes eaiser to some than others.

WardenWolf
December 18, 2009, 08:40 PM
I've known people like this. They have all the cool toys, but they never use them. I personally don't get to the range as often as I would like, but I make up for it with nonfiring practice and intimate familiarity with every gun I own. I plan and practice the techniques for employing my firearms for self-defense. If something about the gun's handling just doesn't "work" for my purposes, I modify it until it does. Should I ever need to employ any of my firearms for self-defense, I know I am prepared. "Tactical" is a mindset, not an equipment set. Your equipment isn't going to save your life in an emergency. That gun won't aim itself or shoot by itself. That body armor won't put itself on. That jam won't clear itself and that mag won't change itself. It's up to YOU. I don't care what you have, if you don't use it properly it's of no use to you at all.

billybobjoe
December 18, 2009, 09:31 PM
C
Typical City Folk Can't Shoot!!!!

Deckard
December 18, 2009, 11:55 PM
I know a guy like this. He's always reading gun blogs and telling me about the latest stuff, his opinions on rifles and rounds, and talking about the next purchase he wants to make, but a few months ago I took him on a trip to the range with one of my shooting buddies and found out he's terrible. Just awful. Started him out on a .22 pistol and took him nearly two mags just to get on the paper. Its obvious he doesn't shoot much.

That said, I don't mind. I still enjoy talking with him and even though he's not at the range every weekend trying out his newest hand load he's still knowledgeable and makes some good points. You don't have to be an expert to be right sometimes. It's refreshing to meet someone with a genuine interest in firearms and maybe someday that will translate into interest at the range.

FROGO207
December 19, 2009, 01:20 AM
I knew a guy like that once. I helped build his sailboat. It still sits in NY harbor 20 years later where it was delivered. Equipped with all the fancy stuff for that around the world trip. We did however put in a weapon locker for his 3 AR 15s and ammo "for pirates".:D

C-grunt
December 19, 2009, 01:52 AM
Im known as the "gun guy" in my circle of friends. Most of my friends are shooters as well but they dont research like I do, ie... here and magazines. So I get asked my opinion a lot on guns and rounds.

I dont get to shoot very often, outside of work, as I live pretty far from the range and have a baby at home. The wife and I work opposite schedules so my days off are babysitting.

That being said I am a pretty decent shot. Back when I practiced routinely I would say I was good.

My buddy at work owns 3 guns. His duty Glock 22, his work 870 and a Colt 6940. That boy can shoot though. We always compete at our depts monthly competition. My boss is a collector. Owns over 100 guns, many of which he's never fired. But he still crushes us at the competitions, usually coming in the top 10.

4sooth
December 19, 2009, 09:56 AM
I know several people exactly like the one described. One owns probably every Lou Horton gun-of-the-week ever made but does not shoot--rarely hunts. He will buy a new rifle and explain the virtues of it for months and then trade it off for something newer.

He owns reloading equipment but does not reload(most of it is Lee) and will extoll the virtues of various firearms at length. To hear him talk he is skilled in the extreme but numerous invites to local matches (for years) have produced no results.

Before I retired I met many armchair commandos at work who claimed to be champion shooter and hunters but none would ever go to matches with me or even to the range.

Talk/no do is common in the gun community.

chuckusaret
December 19, 2009, 10:38 AM
Hey, you can meet this type individual at any local gun shop or gun show, he will be the guy behind the counter/table trying to sell you a gun he knows nothing about.

Jonah71
December 19, 2009, 01:26 PM
I'm sure the day will come (if I live long enough) when my skill level will deteriorate to the point where I'll burn my CCW permit and quit carrying entirely. I don't ever want to be a danger to innocent people due to not being able to shoot straight. It sucks getting old, and I really enjoy shooting, even if I'm only a fraction as accurate as I once was. I'm not looking forward to giving it up, but I had to quit golfing for physical reasons too. Somehow that hasn't seemed to bother me as much. (STUPID game) And it also just keeps getting more expensive as my income remains the same. I've been able to use the money spent on golf for guns and ammo, so that helps. Being retired (med. tech.) and preaching part time is great and I would be at the range several times a week for hours at a time if I could afford it. Except for all the people in SERIOUS need of gun safety classes and a lot more common sense. There's a lot of idiots with more guns and less brains these days it seems.

russ69
December 19, 2009, 06:48 PM
The gun hobby is very large and it attracts a lot of different interests and skill levels. It's all OK with me, it doesn't matter if you have one gun that you shoot every weekend or hundreds of guns that never get shot.
When I go to the range it's obvious that many people have only a casual interest or skill level. That's OK because I don't expect everybody to be the master of everything they do. I have no trouble shooting next to the average guy and if he is having trouble or asks for some help, I'm happy to lend a hand. If someone looks like they need some assistance, I'm careful not to butt in but I might ask how they are doing and if they could use some help. Even an expert can use some help from time to time.

Thanx, Russ

WinchesterAA
December 19, 2009, 08:22 PM
I'm kinda like that, except I don't know much fanciness about the firearms industry and its standards (unlike my knowledge of ANSI standards with respect to equipment and programming.. I know atleast a LITTLE about that..)

OTOH, I have made some particularly amazing shots (to me), such as pointshooting a rabbit in the dark with a remington model 8 in < 3 seconds @ roughly 56 yards -- from start to finish.

and pegging a buck in the brush 189 yards away, in the lungs, with a .270.

I go to the range every now and then trying to reconstruct these and similar events, but it just doesn't work out..

I can't look at a piece of paper and visualize the internal organs of a mammal, nor can I shoot at a specific point on a piece of paper, no matter how close or far away it is. Thus, my training style involves treating a piece of paper as THE point, therefore, hitting the paper(anywhere) is a certifiable winner of a shot.

TBH, I'm more of an innovator type of individual. I don't much care for existing designs past the point of feasible reverse engineering the design(if necessary), but I do love to dream of the future in a logical, mathematical sort of way.

Sgt.45
December 19, 2009, 08:56 PM
I have about 4 guns that I shoot alot with but I know all of them well. There are more that sit in my safe (except when I take them out and clean them... it is like a date night : ) ) The ones in my safe I couldnt part with...I love them too much. They arent anything special, just special to me. Is it weird to both be a shooter and a collector?

AKElroy
December 19, 2009, 11:57 PM
I own a lot of guns, CCW everyday, shoot a good bit & do my fair share of hunting. I thought I knew a lot when I joined this forum.

Not even close. I learn something nearly every time I log into this site. For some in my non THR circles, I know a lot & am viewed as a Gun, hunting &
RKBA resource. Compared with some of the experts on this site, I am not on the same planet of knowledge.

I guess whether or not we are "that guy" is determined in part by what peers are making the judgment.

fatelk
December 20, 2009, 02:07 AM
Dude, that's me! How did you know?!

Dave? Is that you? Why are you picking on me in front of the world? I thought we were friends?:confused:

No, but actually I think that's pretty common with any hobby or interest. Some folks seem to want to mask their insecurities by pretending to know more than they do. I used to do that, when I was 15 (a long time ago). Then I grew up.

Extremely Pro Gun
December 20, 2009, 03:47 AM
.22 LR is the ultimate in home defense

Well, dont you know when you shoot someone with a 22 the bullet bounces around inside of them, grinding up their inner organs and destroying tissue in amounts unfathomable causing irreparable damage and subsequent death? It must be the ultimate. :barf:

I hate that 22 myth garbage so much!!!! :banghead:

They make good practice and varmint guns.

And also the Taurus Judge will absolutely mince an attacker from any angle out to 100 yards. :scrutiny: (forgetting to remember that its only a .410 like your 5 year old shoots at dove, and rarely kills)

B yond
December 20, 2009, 03:53 AM
Well, dont you know when you shoot someone with a 22 the bullet bounces around inside of them, grinding up their inner organs and destroying tissue in amounts unfathomable causing irreparable damage and subsequent death? It must be the ultimate.

What movie was that from? It was Pacino who said it, wasn't it?

Extremely Pro Gun
December 20, 2009, 04:09 AM
What movie was that from? It was Pacino who said it, wasn't it?

Im gonna need a copyright. ;)

Elvishead
December 20, 2009, 11:02 AM
NO!

And he wouldn't be my friend!

And I'm being nice to the OP!

Vonderek
December 20, 2009, 12:57 PM
i had a retired neighbor friend years ago named Jerry who had all kinds of hunting photos posted on the wall of his garage. He owned an old .380 colt, a Glock 19, and a pistol-gripped mossberg 12 gauge. He wasn't really a big talker like the OP's acquaintance but seemed to have a lot of opinions about guns.

I never saw or heard of him shoot but one day he asked to go to the range with me. At the range, I heard the Colt bark once and then nothing. I looked in his lane and he was struggling to clear a jam, the muzzle pointing at the wall that separated us. After helping him clear the jam, I next heard the roar of a 12-gauge. Again, only one time. I looked in his lane and he was not there. I turned around and there he was leaning against the back wall, his face in his hands. I walked over to check on him and he looked up with blood dripping from his mouth and a tooth in his hand. "Are you okay? What happened?" I asked. He gruffly replied, "Aww, those d*** Hollywood movies are phony! I was holding the gun out in front of me with one hand like in the movies and it flew back and hit me!"

I told him we would go but he wanted me to finish my shooting and he would wait for me in the gunshop. When I went into the gunshop, the first thing I saw were the faces of the two employees at the counter...they had expressions of incredulous disgust. "Where did you find this guy???" they asked me. I looked over and there was Jerry with cigarette in hand (this was years ago when it was still legal to smoke indoors) spitting blood into the water fountain.

I thought that would be the end of Jerry's shooting or at least he would learn a lesson from the experience. However, what he took away from the incident was not about proper gun handling or the limitations of a pistol gripped 12-gauge. Instead, he blamed the gun and the next thing I knew he traded the Mossberg for a SxS Rossi coach gun which he was intent on modifying. But that's another story...

B yond
December 20, 2009, 02:14 PM
I next heard the roar of a 12-gauge. Again, only one time. I looked in his lane and he was not there. I turned around and there he was leaning against the back wall, his face in his hands. I walked over to check on him and he looked up with blood dripping from his mouth and a tooth in his hand. "Are you okay? What happened?" I asked. He gruffly replied, "Aww, those d*** Hollywood movies are phony! I was holding the gun out in front of me with one hand like in the movies and it flew back and hit me!"

Bah! He just did it wrong!

I used to have a PGO Mossberg 500 w 18" barrel (PG was a Pachmayr (sp?) decelerator) that I could hold out and shoot with one hand. I still have all my teeth. Heck, If I used 3" slugs it would even halfway cycle the action for me!

I got the idea from the movies too...

CooperThunder
December 20, 2009, 09:17 PM
You must somewhat be talking about my son...he is in military school and collect rifles...he comes home (like now for his Christmas holidays) and tell me I am wrong about putting my gun on top of my beside table, on top of the table near me by my computer, beside the table near me when I am watching tv and eating tv dinner, ad infinitum...

My gun is a Glock...he cautioned me about dropping my gun??? He goes blah..blah...blah...because he and his friends...blah...blah...blah...and ..."I grew up with guns...you didn't, Mom..."

I usually turn my back and make an excuse that I am going upstairs to reply to my email or I am going to the kitchen to do some cooking, etc...

God! I love this boy...but he can be too "knowledgeable..."

B yond
December 20, 2009, 09:23 PM
I thought Glocks were pretty safe to drop, so long as you don't try to catch it by the trigger...:eek:

Darkninja
December 20, 2009, 09:26 PM
You must somewhat be talking about my son...he is in military school and collect rifles...he comes home (like now for his Christmas holidays) and tell me I am wrong about putting my gun on top of my beside table, on top of the table near me by my computer, beside the table near me when I am watching tv and eating tv dinner, ad infinitum...

My gun is a Glock...he cautioned me about dropping my gun??? He goes blah..blah...blah...because he and his friends...blah...blah...blah...and ..."I grew up with guns...you didn't, Mom..."

I usually turn my back and make an excuse that I am going upstairs to reply to my email or I am going to the kitchen to do some cooking, etc...

God! I love this boy...but he can be too "knowledgeable..."
You need to beat some sense into that boy...

Officers'Wife
December 21, 2009, 09:04 AM

When my uncle was still alive he had a neighbor that 'instructed' him on the proper powder charge for his BP revolvers. Keep in mind my uncle was in his fifties and the neighbor in his early twenties. After one particularly intense diatribe, my uncle looked at him and said very simply... 'shut up boy, I got this old by living this long.' Needless to say, said uncle tended not to be popular with the self proclaimed experts.

hinton03
December 21, 2009, 11:01 AM
I am more of a hunter that shooter, but you find them in hunting as well. They generally tell you about the measure 385 yard shot they made on a Bull Elk; when you ask what rifle/caliber and what kind of hold over adjustment they used they tell you they used a Thompson Contender in 30/30 and that no hold over was required because of how flat his special hand load shoots.

If you enjoyed reading about "Everyone knows a guy like this!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!