Is an autosear the only thing needed to convert to full auto?

PDA

JellyJar
December 17, 2009, 10:09 PM
I just finished watching the latest CSI:LasVegas episode. Part of the plot involved illegal autosears. They stated that an autosear could convert a semi auto rifle to full auto. Is that all you need? :evil: What else would be necessary if you wanted to convert a semi auto rifle to full auto?:confused:

If you enjoyed reading about "Is an autosear the only thing needed to convert to full auto?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
taliv
December 17, 2009, 10:15 PM
you also need a full-auto fire-control group, and most lowers need to be milled out a bit to accept it. and you need to drill holes for the autosear pin. and you need a full-auto bolt carrier

edit: assuming you're talking about AR15s

Maj Dad
December 17, 2009, 10:16 PM
It is not the sole part required. Word to the wise/neophyte/anyone: learn all you wish, avoid acquisition of any parts unless you're willing to learn more about the judicial system. Legal full-autos are available for much less than lawyers' fees and court costs/fines/etc etc.

W.E.G.
December 17, 2009, 10:24 PM
There is the drop-in-autosear.
http://www.quarterbore.com/nfa/dias.html

Not legal unless it was registered before 1986

Then, there is the "poor man's machine gun."
Nothing but a rubber band.
http://www.poormansmachinegun.com/PMMG4.htm

Quentin
December 18, 2009, 12:41 AM
Typical Hollywood/TV, they make it all look so easy.

Of course you can bumpfire using a rubber band or shoelace wrapped around your belt. ;)

Really controlled semiauto is plenty good for most of us.

happygeek
December 18, 2009, 12:50 AM
When I'm on private land with a good backstop, sometimes I pull the trigger on my AR really, really fast repeatadly to almost get that real M4 feel :p

paintballdude902
December 18, 2009, 02:47 AM
most important to all of the weapons is a tax stamp

CZguy
December 18, 2009, 05:41 AM
I can barely afford to shoot mine semi-auto.

kanook
December 18, 2009, 08:17 AM
There is the drop-in-autosear.
That will not work unless you have what taliv said in the second post.

Now the lightning lever is a different story. And very expensive. as always NFA rules apply

wishin
December 18, 2009, 08:34 AM
I can barely afford to shoot mine semi-auto.

Ain't that the truth!:)

Brimic
December 18, 2009, 10:02 AM
I just finished watching the latest CSI:LasVegas episode. Part of the plot involved illegal autosears

I suprised the plot didn't involve homeboy 'gunsmiths' filing down sears to make them FA. That would fit in nicely with the level of realism that the rest of the show portrays.:rolleyes:

Sav .250
December 18, 2009, 02:38 PM
JellyJar: ATF already has you down for a visit. :)

TexasRifleman
December 18, 2009, 02:42 PM
Even with a lightning link you have to have the right type of bolt carrier.

It's never as easy as it is on TV :)

Mags
December 18, 2009, 04:34 PM
most important to all of the weapons is a tax stamp How about a license to manufacturer since you would be making a semi into an auto. Good luck getting one of those after 1986. Now an auto to semi back to auto is doable, I think.

kanook
December 18, 2009, 05:24 PM
wrong on both of those The Real Mags

Quentin
December 18, 2009, 05:33 PM
Even full auto converted back to semiauto is illegal. "One a machine gun... always a machine gun" is the feds opinion.

Now I assume you could use the full auto M16's upper in a semiauto AR since a properly operating trigger control group in the semiauto lower receiver would prevent full auto operation (even though the M16/M4 upper does have what's called an M16 bolt carrier that aids in full auto operation - the feds don't seem to care and many ARs have this part but better not have M16 trigger control group parts).

jmorris
December 18, 2009, 07:50 PM
What else would be necessary if you wanted to convert a semi auto rifle to full auto?

Now it takes the proper FFL and SOT to do it legally. That being said you can make some rifles full auto with nothing more than a piece of string or a sliver of paper.

Brimic
December 19, 2009, 10:04 AM
That being said you can make some rifles full auto with nothing more than a piece of string or a sliver of paper.

I think the BATFE has declared those sundry objects as being 'machine guns' in the past, along with springs. :cuss:

Jim Watson
December 19, 2009, 12:18 PM
It is not the technical inaccuracies that bothered me, they are so common as to not be worth notice, it was the general anti-gun subtext. Nobody thought it at all unusual that a FFL would have a crooked sideline in autosears. Nobody thought it unusual that a shootout in a small store hit everybody but the intended target. And the gunowning neighbor was depicted barely short of a raving lunatic with the gun he provided to his single female neighbor useful only for suicide. The typical elitist Hollywood attitude played fairly low key.

sandkicker
December 19, 2009, 04:19 PM
I watched that show....As soon as I saw the opening scene in a gun shop I thought..." OK, lets see how they trash gun ownership"...

BTW... as previously posted an "autosear" is a screenwriter's fantasy.

Actually all the CSI shows are starting to annoy me...
Real CSIs don't:
interrogate suspects or
go barging into suspects houses
get DNA results in 10 mins
have every bit of shiny new esoteric test equipment "just sitting on a table"
...etc..etc...

Brimic
December 19, 2009, 04:37 PM
BTW... as previously posted an "autosear" is a screenwriter's fantasy.

They exist, but need other modifications to the rifle to work, mainly a M16 bolt carrrier and the correct paperwork, the former will keep your rifle in one piece and the latter will do the same for your rectum.

http://www.quarterbore.com/nfa/ar10autoconnector.html

If you enjoyed reading about "Is an autosear the only thing needed to convert to full auto?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!