ammo selection

PDA

jeff mundy
December 18, 2009, 02:11 AM
Is it possible to fire .410 X 2.5" long shells from any 45 cal pistol? If so, why are the gun dealers so excited about Taurus pistols that are capitalizing on this ability?
And also it it possible to fire 45 cal pistol shells from a .410 shotgun? If not, why?

If you enjoyed reading about "ammo selection" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
highorder
December 18, 2009, 02:18 AM
And also it it possible to fire 45 cal pistol shells from a .410 shotgun? If not, why?

NO. The shotgun bore is grossly undersized. It will burst.

Is it possible to fire .410 X 2.5" long shells from any 45 cal pistol?

No, because "any 45 cal pistol" with few exceptions (TC contender, encore both in .45 Colt) does not have enough chamber to accept the length.

I don't even think the .460 has enough OAL for that.

You can fire .410 shells in the .45-70 with very poor patterns.

Pretty simple questions with simple answers.

Welcome to THR.

LaserSpot
December 18, 2009, 02:21 AM
I want to know this too! .410 shells arenít much good, even from a shotgun designed to fire them, so why get a big revolver to shoot them? There canít be that many people who need a dedicated Rattlesnake weapon.

highorder
December 18, 2009, 02:24 AM
so why get a big revolver to shoot them?

Indeed.

The Judge is noticeably absent from my collection.

FROGO207
December 19, 2009, 12:48 AM
For those that don't dare to buy a 500 S&W.:neener::D:D

stickhauler
December 19, 2009, 01:10 AM
I want to know this too! .410 shells arenít much good, even from a shotgun designed to fire them, so why get a big revolver to shoot them? There canít be that many people who need a dedicated Rattlesnake weapon.

Maybe not, but the Taurus Judge (and the Public Defender model as well) make great car guns. It's not designed to be a hunting firearm. I sure wouldn't want a Judge fired at me at close range with a 00 buckshot loaded .410.

highorder
December 19, 2009, 01:25 AM
Maybe not, but the Taurus Judge (and the Public Defender model as well) make great car guns. I sure wouldn't want a Judge fired at me at close range with a 00 buckshot loaded .410.

I don't understand why it makes a better car gun than any other gun.

Because the Taurus TV commercial says so?

There isn't a .410 load that offers better ballistics than a .45acp, and the .45acp can be had in a gun that holds more rounds in handier package.

I'm not bashing the Judge, but I don't see anything it offers.

owlhoot
December 19, 2009, 01:55 AM
I'm another who can't see the attraction of the "Judge". But obviously a great many people love the idea of .410/.45 in the same package. So different strokes...I guess. I'm not going to knock anybody's choice in guns. I'll save my knocks for those who want to do away with the freedom to have a gun.

Patriotme
December 19, 2009, 02:29 AM
Other than as a (heavy) trail gun for backpackers I don't get the Taurus Judge. I'd rather have a high capacity semi-auto with hollowpoints. It's a cool idea but I just don't see a lot of real world use for it.

stickhauler
December 19, 2009, 02:39 AM
The "Judge" and "Public Defender" use .45 Long Colt, not the .45 ACP. The attraction? Some people aren't experienced with semi-auto pistols and prefer a revolver. I don't own either a Judge or Public Defender myself, but then again, I like a 1911 or any semi-auto over a revolver, simply because of more rounds in the firearm to start with.

Here's a review of the Judge, and the writer feels .45 Long Colt the superior round for use in it:

http://www.learnaboutguns.com/2008/05/10/the-taurus-judge-a-revolver-that-can-fire-shotgun-shells/

It's all in what you feel yourself is a proper self defense firearm. Myself, I prefer a semi-auto pistol with at least a caliber of 9 MM, and a minimum of 8 rounds available for immediate use. As such, any firearm I carry for self defense will fill that requirement. I don't even own a Taurus of any kind. But if that's what someone wants to use to defend themselves, who am I to say no?

Diggers
December 19, 2009, 05:49 AM
Itís pretty much a gimmick that has some good PR.

There is no reason why it makes a good car gun over a more traditional handgun. Itís just how it was sold to the public.

Like many have said anything of any even OK caliber is better than birdshot out of a pistol. I will take my 5 shot .38 any day over that.

I also saw some interesting tests with the judge and buckshot. The buckshot really didn't have much power out of that short barrel......:uhoh: Someone IS making .410 shells for the pistol though, Iím guessing itís using faster burning powder.

IMHO I think the Judge, used for SD, appeals to people who want a gun that doesnít have to be aimed well AND is generally less lethal then other types of firearms.

For people who buy it for other reasons then SDÖ.well I guess they just wanted something different to mess around with. (Or they really do have a terrible snake problem!!)

wishin
December 19, 2009, 12:00 PM
................But obviously a great many people love the idea of .410/.45 in the same package. So different strokes...I guess.

I agree. Along the same line, it's amazing how many people buy 4-wheel drive trucks, and cars, to drive on paved roads 99.99% of the time!

highorder
December 19, 2009, 01:51 PM
The "Judge" and "Public Defender" use .45 Long Colt, not the .45 ACP.

I'm aware the Judge is chambered in .45 Colt.

There isn't a .410 load that offers better ballistics than a .45acp, and the .45acp can be had in a gun that holds more rounds in handier package.

This statement still stands.

Some people aren't experienced with semi-auto pistols and prefer a revolver.

Understandable.

If I were that person, I would buy a Taurus chambered in .45 Colt, like the 450T. I don't need the extra long cylinder and extra weight when I don't have any use for the .410 chambering.

If you enjoyed reading about "ammo selection" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!