Q re: Fixing kydex

PDA

10-Ring
January 20, 2003, 01:32 PM
A buddy put some scratches in my kydex holster. Can they be buffed out, should I not worry about it?
Yeah, I know it's really anal of me to worry about seemingly superficial scratches, but I just got it & bonehead :banghead: tried to shove his pistol into it & he had applied sand paper on the slide of his gun (:fire: ) resulting in scratches...geez, some peoples kids! :banghead:

If you enjoyed reading about "Q re: Fixing kydex" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dfariswheel
January 20, 2003, 02:54 PM
The best way is to go down to your local Hobby shop and buy a package of modelmaker's sanding film for plastic.
This is usually sold by Testor's Model Company, and comes 5 sheets to a pack.
It's small sheets of abrasive coated plastic film, that runs from a "coarse" to a very fine grit.

Start with however coarse a grit you think you need and remove all the scratches. Then use progressively finer grits, sanding ACROSS the last grits "grain", with each succeeding grit, until you get down to the finest. I recommend using a small sanding block if possible. I often use a pencil eraser as a block, for small areas.

After all marks are removed, and you're down to the finest grit, use toothpaste or something like Simi-Chrome polishing paste to return the plastic to it's original luster.

NOTE: This only works on SMOOTH Kydex. Some Kydex has a "haircell" pattern on one side, and you can't remove scratches from this.

10-Ring
January 20, 2003, 06:42 PM
Wow, thanks. I really didn't expect such a quick reply. This place just has so much knowledge waiting to be tapped! :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Q re: Fixing kydex" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!