What's the life of a snap cap?

PDA

Topgun
January 20, 2003, 01:49 PM
It seems that after only about 20 or so "snaps" the hammer or pin sounds just like it did before putting in the cap.

Are they only good for 20 or so uses or are they still serving a purpose after the firing pin has dented them to the full extent?

If you enjoyed reading about "What's the life of a snap cap?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
10-Ring
January 20, 2003, 02:45 PM
I have been using the Azoom caps & those seem to have a pretty long life. As for an actual round count...sorry :uhoh:

wingnutx
January 20, 2003, 04:10 PM
The life of my plastic 20 gauge caps was one use. The plastic rim around the bottom of the shell was instantly snapped off by the extractor.

Next time I will make sure to get the aluminum or brass ones.

Nathaniel Firethorn
January 20, 2003, 04:34 PM
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=135090&highlight=life+firing+pin

Wake up.

Slide into the chamber.

Get pinched by the locking block.

Get whapped on the primer by the firing pin.

Eject.

Back to sleep.

:D

- pdmoderator

Blackhawk
January 20, 2003, 05:02 PM
Pachmyer: not very long, maybe a few hundred times before the "primer" is so dented that you may question whether it cushions the firing pin much at all.

A-Zoom: A long time. I haven't noticed any wear that causes me to question their effectiveness after multiple hundreds of uses.

Kentucky Rifle
January 20, 2003, 07:07 PM
I buy A-Zooms *only. I used to order them. Then, the gun shop right down the street started keeping them in stock. :)

KR
P.S. Another reason I support my local gun shops. I asked the owner to carry A-Zooms...and he did it.

Dave R
January 20, 2003, 07:10 PM
Agreed. Pachmeyer and equivalent plastic models, under 100 uses. Just got Azooms, but 20-30 uses shows ZERO wear.

Sven
January 20, 2003, 07:35 PM
I've seen spring-loaded caps from Italy... that idea always intrigued me (dampen the hit of the firing pin with a spring).

Seems to me they would last longer.

Traveler
January 20, 2003, 10:01 PM
The life of a snap caps parallels that of Monty Python's girls in a nunnery. They lay around in the dark waiting for a slap on the azz.

If you enjoyed reading about "What's the life of a snap cap?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!