7 STW - Advice needed

PDA

dww
November 11, 2003, 02:40 AM
Just bought a model 70 classic in 7 STW.

I live in Washington State, on the east (or desert) side. I hunt deer, elk, bears, etc in WA and ID.

1) What do you guys think of the 7 STW

2) is it really a barrel burner?

3) favorite loads?

3a) favorite loads with Barnes XLC bullets (140 or 160 grain)

Thanks,

dww

If you enjoyed reading about "7 STW - Advice needed" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
lycanthrope
November 11, 2003, 03:37 AM
I have a model 70 in 7 STW. I absolutely love the gun. Shoot it in 2.5 inches high at 100 yards and no holdover on deer out to 400. Mine hits dead on at 500 with only 5.25 inches high at 100. Get a good ballistics program and you can have a lot of fun!

I too, have heard the STW is a barrel burner, but mine still shoots 1/4 MOA after 600+ rounds. The bore gets swabbed with FP-10 after every session and I let the gun cool well between shots.

My favorite load for deer is the 140gr Combined Technology Ballistic tip at close to 3500 fps. My elk load is the 160gr Nosler Partition at 3300fps. Both bullets carry through with lots of tissue damage.

My gun is very sensitive to powder charge and bullet type. A 1 grain difference in powder can drastically change group size as can pressure on the barrel. For both, I use IMR 7828 powder above a Federal 215 primer. Bullets are seated just off the lands. All my loads are over max so don't expect me to post 'em. ;)

Fed168
November 11, 2003, 09:10 AM
My dad's STW is a 700. It really likes the 160 grain Nosler Partition, the load we used in Montana for mulies. We haven't noticed the barrel going, and the rifle is cleaned and well taken care of.
His rifle didn't like the Barnes X bullets, they did not shoot as tight as he liked.

If you enjoyed reading about "7 STW - Advice needed" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!