M&P vs. Glock Trigger

PDA

ezypikns
December 19, 2009, 01:32 AM
I've never shot a S&W M&P. How does the trigger compare with a Glock trigger?

If you enjoyed reading about "M&P vs. Glock Trigger" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
desert gator
December 19, 2009, 02:01 AM
I like the M&P better. They feel fairly similar, but I think that the actual shape of the M&P feels better and is a little crisper.

Oldnoob
December 19, 2009, 02:54 AM
I prefer Glock's trigger much more than M&P. M&P's trigger creep in a very weird way. Beside, Glock can easily install at least 3 different "factory" connector to adjust the trigger, no smith needed.

#3.5 (or later call #4) connector give you a slightly heavier trigger travel but easier break then stock #5.5 connector.

#8 connector give you a very light trigger travel but very heavy break.

Stock #5.5 connector give you a middle ground of both (and it's the one I prefer).

NinjaFeint
December 19, 2009, 03:14 AM
I actually shot the M&P before I shot a Glock and hated the trigger. It just didn't feel right for me and I could not shoot it very well. I ended up buying a Glock 17 and the trigger is great for me. My brother who shoots an XD did not like the Glock or M&P until my Glock had about 500 rounds through it. No comparison for me.

Nuke8401
December 19, 2009, 03:37 AM
I've had a G34 for about 3 years and an M+P 9 full size for about a year. M+P trigger was initially heavier but much smoother. The Glock is crunchy but lighter. The M+P has gotten lighter over time >1000 rds? I still shoot the G34 better than the M+P but much prefer the M+P. Both can be made/modified into good triggers. If you can find an M+P Pro, try the trigger, much improved over the standard trigger.

Be wear of the MASS compliant M+P guns, their triggers are HEAVY! But I guess all MASS triggers are heavy.

I shoot the Glock in competition but carry an M+P.

The Lone Haranguer
December 19, 2009, 08:07 AM
I like the M&P better. They feel fairly similar, but I think that the actual shape of the M&P feels better and is a little crisper.
Agreed, but I can live with either just fine, mostly because I've had my Glock longer.

Ben86
December 19, 2009, 10:47 AM
The glock trigger is way smoother. The m&p's is gritty yet a little shorter. I do really like the feel of the actual trigger itself (m&p).

jon_in_wv
December 19, 2009, 11:36 AM
I have two M&Ps and the generalization that all M&P triggers are gritty is just bunk. Both of my M&Ps have very nice, crisp triggers. That being said the Glocks trigger is a little crisper and has a more positive reset. Both mechanisms are very similar so modifying the M&P for a better trigger is an easy thing too.

Philo_Beddoe
December 19, 2009, 01:08 PM
I thought the m&p trigger was better then my glock 17. It was crisper

Both are fine though out of the box and smooth up over time.

David E
December 19, 2009, 01:23 PM
A trigger job on the M&P beats a trigger job on the Glock easy.

Jim Watson
December 19, 2009, 01:40 PM
Factory Plastic M&P triggers DO tend to be gritty, at least the ones I handled before buying mine... and having Dan Burwell do a trigger job on it. If you are a reset fanboy, the M&P's is not as sharp as a Glock's. I have seen some trigger jobs on Glocks that beat my M&P, but they were done with major surgery and soft springs I would not trust on a serious weapon.

Mags
December 19, 2009, 01:45 PM
I own both an M&P in 9mm and a Glock 19. The Glock trigger is easily fixed by adding a 3.5 pound connector the Glock trigger's reset is easily defined and crisper for faster follow up shots. The M&Ps trigger has a decent pull but the reset is very vague and sometimes you will try to fire without a full reset so now I let the trigger go all the way forward before firing this affects accuracy but it helps with follow ups because the gun will actually go off.

sheephearder
December 19, 2009, 01:46 PM
Had both but kept the Glock. Neither trigger is bad, I just prefer the Glock. Really you have to shoot both and decide for your self, there is no right answer. Bill

Full Metal Jacket
December 19, 2009, 01:48 PM
glock's perceptible reset is definitely an advantage over the m&p's trigger. i have 2 m&p's and 1 glock. about to sell my mp's to make up for my recent emp40 purchase-keeping the glock though. :)

Digitalage03
December 19, 2009, 01:49 PM
The glock trigger is way smoother. The m&p's is gritty yet a little shorter. I do really like the feel of the actual trigger itself (m&p).
I Had a 3.5 pd trigger put on at a gun show for $20 from a authorized glock retailer and it made a word of difference, though the m&p is a nice gun ive had my glock for years and if its one thing i learned is if it aint broke dont try to fix it.

legion3
December 19, 2009, 01:51 PM
That being said the Glocks trigger is a little crisper and has a more positive reset.

The trigger reset is why I prefer Glock over just about any other gun. At least striker fired weapons. To me my speed, accuracy and followup shots are better due to Glocks reset which the M&P seems IMO to lack. The XD reset is better than SW's but still was not a Glock.

I could probably get used to the M&P trigger but why when Glock does all I need it to and has a 33 round 9mm mag to boot ;).

No offense to anyone but Made in America means nothing to me anymore.

distra
December 19, 2009, 02:11 PM
I own both and I perceive very little difference between the two.

gglass
December 19, 2009, 05:45 PM
Out of the box, the Glock has the edge, but over a couple hundred rounds the M&P REALLY smooths out and has a better overall feel. If you DIY a Burwell trigger job, or send it to Dan Burwell, the M&P trigger will take the Glock trigger to the proverbial woodshed.

David E
December 19, 2009, 06:17 PM
www.Accurate-Iron.com does a great trigger on the M&P

legion3
December 20, 2009, 04:21 PM
Why do Smith and Wessons always need trigger jobs?

First Sigma and now the M&P needs to be worked on to be "better" than Glock. What's the world coming to.

How about making a trigger pull thats good to begin with?

wow6599
December 20, 2009, 04:58 PM
It also depends on the Glock and M&P. I have shot several different Glocks and M&Ps and find that it really depends on the model. I hated the trigger on a Glock 22, 26 & 27 - but I love the trigger on my Glock 20SF (only Glock I have ever owned). The M&P line - I have had a FS .40, .357 and 9mm (no mag safety) and I found their triggers to be better than the G22, 26 & 27's I have shot, but no where near as good as my 20. I got rid of a M&Pc 9mm with the mag safety that had a horrible trigger. As always, YMMV.
BTW - M&P triggers do smooth up after 500 - 1000 rds.

Teddyb
December 20, 2009, 05:05 PM
I prefer the Glock Trigger more than any other for a self defense gun. That said, when the SHTF and the adrenaline is flowing you are never going to notice a difference in any handgun trigger as long as it shoots. Trigger dynamics are only for paper shooting me thinks!

Art Eatman
December 20, 2009, 05:15 PM
"...when the SHTF and the adrenaline is flowing you are never going to notice a difference in any handgun trigger..."

Your mind won't, true. Your trained-in reflexes will, however.

Teddyb
December 20, 2009, 06:19 PM
I could not agree more. That's why we had all that in service training all the time to keep those trained-in reflexes sharp. In my years in law enforcement I could never begin to tell you how many rounds I fired at paper. The 5 that I fired in self defense are still very vivid in my mind to this day.

BlayGlock
December 20, 2009, 07:18 PM
That being said the Glocks trigger is a little crisper and has a more positive reset.

That has been the case with mine. I have both Glocks and a M&P. The glock is more crisp and the M&P tends to been a little more "spongy." The Glock has a better reset as well. (These are comparing the stock triggers on my guns.) The M&P is a lttle more smooth however. Both are great platforms, but I prefer the Glock trigger.

millertyme
December 20, 2009, 07:54 PM
I've never shot either, but I have tried both of them out and I know I prefer the stock M&P to the stock Glock. It might have had something to do with me preferring the overall feel of the M&P to the Glock (just personal preference), but it seemed to have a better break and a smoother pull. But then again, I kind of like the trigger on my P95, too. So maybe I'm just a degenerate.

kd7nqb
December 20, 2009, 10:47 PM
I have the M&P and shoot glocks quite often, I like my M&P trigger but both are very good in my mind. I dont shoot from reset so that part does not come into play.

Avenger29
December 20, 2009, 10:50 PM
I like the M&P trigger. The Glock trigger can be changed very easily with extremely affordable parts. The M&P trigger, fortunately, can also be modified in a similar way, although the parts cost a bit more.

I've seen some very sweet jobs done on M&P triggers.

kwelz
December 20, 2009, 11:09 PM
Glock triggers are better stock, however it is very easy to make a M&P trigger smooth as silk. In the grand scheme I dont' feel either is better but they are different.

raz-0
December 21, 2009, 12:08 AM
I love all the summary judgments of "better".

Different people like different things.

Glock:
Pros - reset is anywhere form a little to a lot more positive than the M&P depend on which trigger it has (heavier = more firm and pronounced reset). Reset is also shorter. The design of the trigger means you will get more consistently finished mating surfaces.

Cons - Has a very pronounced springy feel that stacks with the trigger unless you get it worked on.

Trigger jobs - As you lighten the trigger pull, it tends to get much more mushy feeling. If you screw up a DIY trigger job, the gun goes full auto. I've tried out probably 20+ trigger setups on glocks. I've liked exactly two of them. Most of them were total sproingy mush with weak resets for the sake of lightening the trigger pull. LOTS of drop in after market parts, of which a number of them are not as drop-in as they'd like you to believe.

M&P:
pro - the sear breaking tends to be much crisper out of the box than the glock or XD, more like a hammer fired pistol. No stacking spring feeling or mushiness in any sample I have encountered.

con - Reset is kind of long stock. While you will get a fairly consistent finish on the sear, striker leg, and firing pin safety, you won't on the doohickey on the trigger bar that interfaces with the FPS. The mating part of that doohickey is the edge of a stamping, and can range from slightly rough to really rough, and to make it matter, the FPS is chamfered with a sharp angle rather than rounded. That rough stamped edge is what smooths up over time, but without a trigger job you can really feel the FPS engage and disengage. You'll see people refer to this as a false reset.

trigger job - If you screw it up the gun will not reset properly. If you barely screw it up, it will reset intermittently. After market FPBs and sears are showing up. Which means you should be able to improve the trigger fairly easily as a DIY project soon.

XD

pro - triggers are usually smooth. Which masks their weight. Trigger is a bit narrower than the others, which matters for some.

con - Triggers tend to show up from the factory with a lot of variety to their pull weights. They tend to also be mushy feeling. Reset is kind of long and not that positive feeling.

trigger job - in order for the gun to work right with a lightened trigger, mass has to be removed from the slide. This means DIY is a pita. A good trigger job on it feels kind of like a longer version of a 1911 set up to cam the hammer smoothly. Even on the best trigger jobs, reset is a mixed bag despite pull weight and smoothness being generally impressive. They never get a nice crisp break though.

XDm

pro - lot more crisp and less mushy feeling out of the factory. Reset is a little less anemic than it's predecessor. I've only handled a few, but they seem to be pretty consistent about it.

con - haven't seen enough of them used and abused to say. I'm assuming that the parts availability and other issues form the XD apply.

trigger jobs - haven't run into any yet, so I can't say.

I came from a background of not liking striker fired guns, and much preferred hammer fired guns. I bought an M&P, and I like the XDm enough I'd buy one if I didn't already own my M&P.

They all ship with serviceable triggers out of the box. They are all capable of being modified to have triggers of pretty good feel. None of them are going to feel like a good, light, crisp 1911 trigger.

Coronach
December 21, 2009, 12:56 AM
As was said, the M&P trigger is merely OK out of the box. It's not bad by any means, but the thing feels "busy" and the overtravel is pronounced. It can, however, to cleaned up really well. And, I mean really well. My M&P40C's trigger is, IMO, better than any other trigger on a polymer gun that I have ever felt, including some professionally-done Glock triggers.

www.burwellgunsmithing.com

Mike

ckone
December 21, 2009, 03:04 AM
The M&P trigger can be made much better than a Glock's, but it may not come out of the box that way...
The Glock trigger will have some mush and creep no matter what spring/connector combo is used (I've tried them all), just to varying degrees, an M&P's trigger beacause of how it works means a properly (and easily) shaped sear can be made to break like a 1911 free of creep and reset positively like a Glock's, but they usually don't come that way... Type "M&P trigger job" into Google, follow Mr. Burwell's instructions and you will know, no special connector or spring to try.

I have several thousands of rounds through both Glock's and M&P's and I'm not BSing... A Glock with it's connector cannot do what the M&P design with an honest to goodness sear can.

FunYet
December 21, 2009, 10:35 PM
When I'm shooting my Glock 26 and M&Pc 9mm side by side, they don't feel all that different to me, at least as far s the triggers go.

If you enjoyed reading about "M&P vs. Glock Trigger" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!