.40 S&W 135 gr. Nosler JHP

PDA

mraymiller
December 19, 2009, 01:20 AM
I'm loading .40 S&W, 135 gr. Nosler JHP... is it possible to use a magnum small pistol primer in lieu of the standard small pistol? If so, how much of a powder reduction should I apply to the load? I'm currently loading AA-7 @ 10.9 grains.

If you enjoyed reading about ".40 S&W 135 gr. Nosler JHP" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dwhite
December 19, 2009, 08:42 AM
I run magnum primers in my 40 S&W loads with AA-7 and 180 grain lead bullets. I've had no problems.

I use the same powder and primers in my 357 Mag loads without issue.

All the Best,
Doug White

loadedround
December 19, 2009, 09:57 AM
According to my current Nosler Manual, the combination you are using is Nosler's recommended starting load. I can not see any problems substituting magnum primers for standard ones. I don't think you will gain much by doing so, but hopefully you are not shooting them in a Glock with a unsupported case head. So give it a try while watching for the various pressure signs.

If you enjoyed reading about ".40 S&W 135 gr. Nosler JHP" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!