Frustrating


PDA






jagugator
December 19, 2009, 07:40 PM
http://i726.photobucket.com/albums/ww268/jagugator/DSCF0135.jpg http://i726.photobucket.com/albums/ww268/jagugator/DSCF0134.jpg

Couldn't Speer at least mark these a little different to make sorting easier? Now I need to go through all 2000 45ís.

For those of you that donít or canít see any difference, the cartridge on the left in each picture has a small pistol primer.

If you enjoyed reading about "Frustrating" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Walkalong
December 19, 2009, 07:43 PM
Those Rascals. :scrutiny:

As many times as I handle brass before it gets primed, I catch 99% of the ones I don't need to prime. The other 1% is caught then or when running through the press.

taliv
December 19, 2009, 07:44 PM
ugh

not sure i could spot them hand sorting through 2000. i'd prob just attempt to reload one to see if i could fit a large primer in that hole. assuming it crunches, i'd run them all through the press and and sort out the bad ones afterwards.

unless of course, you've somehow got a mix of like 50/50

LAH
December 19, 2009, 07:49 PM
After you look at a few of them they will begin to stand out............Creeker



Dry Creek Bullet Works
Dry Creek Firewood

Walkalong
December 19, 2009, 08:01 PM
not sure i could spot them hand sorting through 2000
True.

I turn every case over and look at the primer pocket before priming, so I would catch it then before trying to prime. I hand prime, but if I were priming on the LNL I could still do that before putting it in the shell plate.

I have run into very few of them, so it hasn't been a big deal. If one is finding a lot, I am sure it is frustrating.

jagugator
December 19, 2009, 08:47 PM
So far I have gone through about 4-500 and have found about 50 of the smalls. I found the first couple when the primers wouldn't seat in my press. At first I thought it was just a fluke, but then I took a closer look came here and did a search only to find out that they were for real. I just wish Speer would put a different marking on them.


not sure i could spot them hand sorting through 2000. i'd prob just attempt to reload one to see if i could fit a large primer in that hole. assuming it crunches, i'd run them all through the press and and sort out the bad ones afterwards.

I thought about doing it that way but I figured since the wife was doing her annual Christmas baking, I had better stay in the garage or risk gaining a bunch of pounds from staying in the house. So I have the extra time.

After you look at a few of them they will begin to stand out............Creeker

At first you were right but it must be the lighting in my garage because they all started blending together. So I came in to rest the eyes and sneak a cookie or two dozen.

LAH
December 19, 2009, 08:50 PM
Lighting surely is important with most things like that. You might learn to do it by feel...........Creeker

jcwit
December 19, 2009, 09:10 PM
Take a Large Primer pocket cleaner "hand type with the wooden handle" and start in, the ones the tool doesn't fit in I bet are small primer pockets.

jagugator
December 19, 2009, 09:53 PM
^^Good idea! I think I will have to give that a try.

The Bushmaster
December 19, 2009, 09:59 PM
After looking at a few of them he'll figure it out. I have no problem finding (seeing) them during cleaning and sorting. Easy to spot...

rcmodel
December 20, 2009, 01:12 PM
The only .45 ACP you will find with Small primers is lead-free ammo.

If you look inside, I think they will also have a humongous flash hole compared to a normal .45 ACP with a Lg primer.

Might be easier to see the huge flash hole then the difference in primers.

rc

ReloaderFred
December 20, 2009, 02:45 PM
Even the newer large primer pocketed .45 acp brass has the larger flash hole in both Speer and Winchester. It doesn't make any difference in the loading, from what I've experienced with it.

Just save up the small primer pocketed .45 brass and when you get enough, load it as a batch. It works just fine. There have been several threads concerning this on this forum. Just do a search.

Hope this helps.

Fred

jagugator
December 20, 2009, 05:15 PM
^^ That's exactly what I had planned for the oddballs. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Frustrating" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!