Confused

PDA

wgaynor
December 20, 2009, 01:13 AM
So, I was about to buy some more once fired brass on the internet when I had an idea. I Googled once fired brass in the Owensboro, Ky area. I found Bartlett Reloaders. I gave them a call and was on my way.

I bought 500 pieces of once fired Lake City Military brass for my .223 for $40. I brought it home and there it sat for 12 days until I got a day off.

I cleaned it, removed the primer, and planned on removing the primer crimp...but it wasn't needed. The primer went right in.

Not that I don't appreciate the time and effort saved on removing the crimp. I am really pleased, but I thought all military ammo had a crimp.

This is Lake City Brass (stamped on the shell casing). This is a respectable dealer (as I am told by word of mouth through another enthusiast and by doing an internet search), so I am pretty positive it is once fired brass.

Any ideas?

If you enjoyed reading about "Confused" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
WNTFW
December 20, 2009, 02:04 AM
I shoot at a range that has target pits. When pulling targets in the pits we talk reloading a bit between stages. I had one guy that is one the top shooters tell me he doesn't remove primer crimps on .223. He just reprimes the cases on a Dillon 550b

I tried it on various headstamps and they all worked. Lake City was one of the easier IIRC. (Dillon 550b)

My neighbor doesn't remove .223 crimps any more & uses a Lee single stage.

The Crimp can be hard to see after the primer busted through on its way out. I'll look at some of my LC tomorrow. Should be a round ring. I think I have some LC 07 I have not sized/deprimed.

If the dealer is reputable I'm sure he wouldn't mind you asking in a tactful manner.

What year LC? Any indication of primer sealant?

rg1
December 20, 2009, 03:01 AM
Jeff also sells "processed" brass with the primer pocket already swaged and usually charges about $10 per 1000. Maybe he gave you his processed brass. Plus I've bought some 07-09 year LC brass that had such a light crimp that swaging was almost not necessary. Reread your post and since your brass still had the primer in I suspect that it has such a light crimp that primers will seat but it's still better to remove the crimps because you'll run into some with a major crimp and end up mashing a primer. If you bought once-fired I'd bet money that's what you got from Bartletts.

wgaynor
December 20, 2009, 10:44 AM
well rg1, I suspect your right about the light crimp. Thanks for the info. I think I will continue to remove the crimps just in case.

If you enjoyed reading about "Confused" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!