New Desert Eagle owner. What to feed it.

PDA

Kingofthehill
December 20, 2009, 02:11 PM
I just got one and when my neighbor found out he told me he had some ammo i could have since he sold his .44 mag revolver earlier in the year.

So i was gonna go to the range but doing more research on the Desert eagle, its said NOT to use lead ammo in it because of the gas system, and the Eagle likes HOT loads... one of these seem like it could be too light.

Now these are full lead but they do have lead exposed, being JSP's...

Safe to shoot or not?

Thanks for the time :cool:

http://i48.tinypic.com/dpio45.jpg

http://i46.tinypic.com/15p4pqb.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "New Desert Eagle owner. What to feed it." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
highorder
December 20, 2009, 02:13 PM
Both should cycle the DE if you hold on tight. I bet the 180gr. Remington's will cycle better.

JSP's will be fine.

Kingofthehill
December 20, 2009, 02:15 PM
JSP's will be fine.

I "ASSUMED" so because that part should not be contacting anything other than the ramp as it cycles but i wanted to double check.

Thanks

JOe

MachIVshooter
December 20, 2009, 04:18 PM
The concern with lead is fouling of the gas system more than anything. Any Jacketed bullet, even half jacketed, is fine.

NG VI
December 20, 2009, 05:02 PM
Now these are full lead but they do have lead exposed, being JSP's...

Yeah that'll be alright.

Get out and shoot it and give us an extremely detailed range report if you've got the time!

ohioshooter
December 20, 2009, 06:44 PM
got them both and they cycle fine just for me

pageophile
December 20, 2009, 08:16 PM
Congrates :) I picked up a DE a few weeks ago.

All the answers so far jive with what I've read and experienced. In fact I've run both those specific bullets though the Eagle just fine. The 180's are AWESOME ! ! ! Lots of Bang/Flame :D

Mine didn't like the American Eagle 240's not enough pop and the bullet shape was a tad off.

As long as the base of the bullet is not lead you should be good to go.

There is also a list of recommended ammo on the Magnum Research site if you want to double check some more.

mljdeckard
December 20, 2009, 08:58 PM
A friend of mine has one, the only thing it will cycle reliably is Corbon defensive loads.

If you enjoyed reading about "New Desert Eagle owner. What to feed it." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!