new AR upper (Can I buy online -shipped to my home?)

PDA

NETO1978
December 21, 2009, 07:58 AM
Is it legal to buy an upper online and get it shipped to my home address?
Do I need a FFL dealer?

I got a Colt AR-15 ,with carrying handle.
I just want to make it looks like a M4...flat top.
Is it possible?
where can I buy it online? wich brand?

If you enjoyed reading about "new AR upper (Can I buy online -shipped to my home?)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ArmedBear
December 21, 2009, 08:02 AM
The Upper Receiver is not legally the "receiver". The Lower Receiver is.

Therefore, you can order it and have it shipped to your home -- even in California, where putting together a legal AR-15 requires a bit of special knowlege.

I'll defer to others re Colt. I believe a Colt lower takes a standard upper, but I'm not absolutely sure.

Or, call a company like J&T Distributing http://www.jtdistributing.com and ask. I like my J&T upper, and I know they sell parts specifically for civilian Colts as well as standard milspec rifles. Civilian Colts, or at least some of them, require special fire control parts, and possibly some others.

ny32182
December 21, 2009, 08:46 AM
You can get it shipped to your home, but I agree you better talk to someone who knows Colts inside and out to make sure you are getting one that will fit on your lower. I know Colt used some kind of screw instead of a normal front pivot pin for a while... not sure if receiver dimensions were changed in any way to accomodate that.

If you enjoyed reading about "new AR upper (Can I buy online -shipped to my home?)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!