Can .308Win do everything that .375H&H do?


PDA






AirPower
December 23, 2009, 11:37 PM
I have a Winchester M70 in .375HH and also Remington 700 in .308. I'm trying to see if I could pair down to just 1 bolt hunting rifle, and that'll be 700 .308.

So my question is if 308 can do everything 375 can do, or would I regret selling the .375 down the road? By the way, I'm not going to Africa.

If you enjoyed reading about "Can .308Win do everything that .375H&H do?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Float Pilot
December 23, 2009, 11:40 PM
For Alabama yes, .........for Alaska no...

R.W.Dale
December 23, 2009, 11:43 PM
For Alabama yes, .........for Alaska no...
Thread over!

federalfarmer
December 23, 2009, 11:48 PM
Inside of 75 yards in the lower 48........maybe. Big bears excluded. How do they say it? dead is dead.

However why not have 2? (and I like the 2 you have)

Speedo66
December 24, 2009, 12:40 AM
No, it can't cost as much for ammo, nor can it recoil as heavily.

Unless you have a specific need for a .375, why?

Uncle Mike
December 24, 2009, 12:55 AM
Sure...it will go boom, recoil, kill stuff and make holes...but comparing the two...in the sense you are insinuating....

and the question...can the 308 do everything the 375 can do!

Santa aint comin' to your house! Your a bad boy!

If you must jettison one of them...toss the 375, unless of course your in big critter country.

W.E.G.
December 24, 2009, 01:07 AM
Which one do you shoot with best accuracy?

Gordon
December 24, 2009, 01:13 AM
I shoot them about the same in sporting rifles. No fair with a 9pound + .308 which would be like my 14 pound bull barrel .375, which I built because I thought " Dang, I wonder what that Sierra 300 Boat tail at 2700 fps from a 28" barrel would do at 1000 yards!"

257WM_CDL-SF
December 24, 2009, 01:19 AM
id keep the 375 H&H just in case

Kernel
December 24, 2009, 02:14 AM
If you roll your own the .375 H&H can be downloaded to .38-55 levels. A tack driver that kicks like a kitten.

With creative handloading the H&H can do everything the .308 can do (and with similar recoil), but the opposite is not true.

Sav .250
December 24, 2009, 08:01 AM
What year is that Winchester M-70 in .375H&H ? If it`s a pre-64, it`s a no-brainer, keep it. If not, keep it anyway. :)

Gaiudo
December 24, 2009, 09:36 AM
.308 can't transect an Elk cow hip to shoulder at 75 yards in deep timber. .375... no problem.

tomaz45
December 24, 2009, 10:53 AM
The question isn't CAN IT, but SHOULD IT HAVE TO. More deer have fallen to the 22LR than any other round but that doesn't make it right. Since you have the rifles, use them as the tools they are. We all have a resonsibility to maintain ethics in our approach to our sport.

shaggy430
December 24, 2009, 11:01 AM
More deer have fallen to the 22LR than any other round

I doubt that.

tomaz45
December 24, 2009, 11:25 AM
If you doubt th comment about the 22LR, I would suggest you check with your local Game Dept. as to what the poachers are using in your area. Here on the border, it's a 22.

navyretired 1
December 24, 2009, 11:35 AM
The 308 Win can't do everything a 375 HH can do but it can do everthing YOU need.

ArmedBear
December 24, 2009, 01:32 PM
Where do you live and hunt?

AirPower
December 24, 2009, 03:16 PM
I'm up here in WA state, so we have some woodland, and it seems .308 is most 1 hit knock down for games around here. As for the Winchester M70, it's a recent make, but it's a Classic model so it's got the controlled feed. It's a very nice rifle, feels more robust than the Remington.

Thanks for all the responses, I think I'll just keep them both for now, I just can't bear watching that Winchester staying in the safe all the time.

ArmedBear
December 24, 2009, 04:22 PM
I just can't bear watching that Winchester staying in the safe all the time.

So put the .308 in the safe, and shoot the .375!:)

There's no doubt that the .375 will do everything a .308 can do. And you sure don't have to go all the way to Africa to use it to its potential, either, if you live in Washington.

Uncle Mike
December 24, 2009, 05:18 PM
I think I'll just keep them both for now

I knew it!

Nobody can rid themselves of a .375H&H!

It's like a bad itch that wont go away, and you just have to scratch it! lol heheheh

Merry Christmas!

Mags
December 24, 2009, 05:53 PM
Can't 270 do everything the 308 can? Can't 30/06 Do everything and then some same with 7mm Mag. Could probably go on and on. Just pick which one of the common hunting calibers (270, 308, 30/06, 7mm Mag, 300 win Mag) you like and go with it.

Offfhand
December 24, 2009, 08:12 PM
Hasn't the .308 been used to kill a lot of elephants?

FSJeeper
December 24, 2009, 09:27 PM
I was in a simliar position a couple of years ago. I had a custom Win 70 Match Grade Arms built in .338 (actually is was .340 Weatherby Mag.) I used it in Africa for plains game and Colorado for Elk hunting. I almost went with the 375 H&H but didn't because the .338 has better range.

I have sold off all of the what I call non-standard caliber rifle a couple of years ago including the .338. I do not plan on any more exotic hunts and the
.308 will do everything I need in Texas. If I were ever to Elk hunt again, I have a 30-06 with sweet handload 200 grain nosler partition bullets that was my back up rifle in Africa and I am confident it will do anything I need it to do in the lower 48.

So, because I live in Texas, I would go with the .308. If I lived in Washington state with healthy your healthy Elk hunting, there is no friggin way I would sell that 375 H&H off. If I was going Elk hunting and had my choice between the .308 and 375 H&H, the 375 H&H would win every time.

9mmepiphany
December 24, 2009, 10:52 PM
Hasn't the .308 been used to kill a lot of elephants?

so has a .276 Rigby...it was a favored round for culling elephants back when the herds were huge...that doesn't make it a good idea for the average shooter.

i'm a big fan of the .375 H&H, but then i consider it as the next step up from the 6.5x55mm. now a 6.5x55mm will do everything a .308 will do too and would be my choice for NA game up to the big bears...that's where the H&H shines

ArmedBear
December 25, 2009, 01:03 PM
I just found a copy of Keith's Rifles for Large Game in the local college library (they have a great collection of Keith stuff among other things).

It was published in 1946, and written before the Nosler Partition or other modern bullets existed. Back then, one had to choose between a flat-shooting spitzer that didn't penetrate all that well, and a good penetrating round nose that didn't fly as well. So, modern bullets have changed the equation a bit since then.

But, considering the loads and bullets available in the WW II era, you know what Elmer Keith recommended as a top-notch all-around commercial rifle for an American hunting deer to moose and bears? A Winchester Model 70 in .375 H&H.:)

There's no reason it can't fill the same role today.

TIRED TRAVELER
December 25, 2009, 05:15 PM
The change is not only in which rifle is kept, but in you and what you will do with it.

Choose the rifle you want and modify your actions to suite the rifle.

Change is a process, not an event!

JIM:)

noob_shooter
December 25, 2009, 05:20 PM
toss both and just grab a rifle chambered in 50BMG.. that will do more than just killing animals. it will also take other things down too.. :)

Redneck with a 40
December 25, 2009, 07:35 PM
The .308 will do everything I envision it will have to do. I primarily use mine for 300 yd target shooting, which is fun and satisfying. I'm not a hunter, but I could easily bag an Elk with this gun if I had too, the biggest animal I would ever hunt.

Langlo
December 25, 2009, 08:30 PM
Would u consider shooting birds ? Here in Norway we use the 308 with FMJ for birds down to grouse size and up to moose with exňanding bullets. I dont know about 375 H&H and birds? ,, But perhaps some have experience ?

ArmedBear
December 25, 2009, 11:34 PM
In most of the US, it's illegal to shoot any birds with centerfire rifles, though rimfires are sometimes legal for some kinds of grouse.:)

Acera
December 26, 2009, 02:39 PM
Didn't someone say about the .375 in Africa,

"Too big for 75% of the game, and too small for the other 25%."


Sell the .375, and go buy ammo for the .308 and practice until you are really comfortable and accurate with it.

How easy is it to find ammo for the big gun? That .308 can be a great all around gun.

HankB
December 26, 2009, 02:53 PM
Hasn't the .308 been used to kill a lot of elephants? Experienced government cropping officers in places like Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe) used FAL rifles in 7.62 NATO on elephant; the FMJ or AP ammo worked fine on juveniles and cows, but getting through all the bone for a brain shot on a large bull proved difficult.

Didn't someone say about the .375 in Africa,

"Too big for 75% of the game, and too small for the other 25%."Whoever said that was wrong.

testosterone
December 26, 2009, 02:55 PM
I doubt that.
Many a country boy and farmer would argue with you...

testosterone
December 26, 2009, 02:59 PM
Hasn't the .308 been used to kill a lot of elephants?
I've read, but can't cite..the .303 british has probably taken more elephants than all other cartridges combined.

Offfhand
December 26, 2009, 03:10 PM
Quote from above:

"Experienced government cropping officers in places like Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe) used FAL rifles in 7.62 NATO on elephant; the FMJ or AP ammo worked fine on juveniles and cows, but getting through all the bone for a brain shot on a large bull proved difficult."

This is mostly correct, however the number of elephant killed in legal herd thinning in no way compares with the herds virtually wiped out in East Africa by the military using NATO ammo in large scale poaching operations. Within a decade more elephant were killed with full jacket 7.62 than with the .375 H&H during all the years it had existed.

mljdeckard
December 26, 2009, 03:33 PM
I have watched an elk walk away from a .308 hit. They guys who shot it tried to track it the next day but couldn't get to it, the season had ended, so they couldn't take another shot at it. Elk have a fat layer that seals up after a wound, so sometimes if you don't get a hit on a vital organ or blood vessel, they won't bleed out. Of course a better shot would have helped, but a heavier, bigger bullet would likely have penetrated deeper and caused more cavity trauma.

I don't hunt elk regularly, but if I did, I would want something with magnum in the title.

And no, I wouldn't even use a .22 on deer if I were poaching.

Redneck with a 40
December 26, 2009, 03:48 PM
mlj, a big factor in all of that is bullet weight and style, plus shot placement. A 180 grain trophy bonded bear claw in .308 would most likely get the job done, leaving the barrel at close to 2600 fps, out to 200 yards.

Walkalong
December 26, 2009, 03:54 PM
For Alabama yes, .........for Alaska no...
Thread over!
Yep.

9mmepiphany
December 26, 2009, 05:34 PM
Didn't someone say about the .375 in Africa,

"Too big for 75% of the game, and too small for the other 25%."

i seem to remember that quote referring to the 30-06 or the 300 Win Mag

the .375 H&H is the definitive African medium calibre...the .276 Rigby was the "light" (possibly better know as the 7x57mm)

berettashotgun
December 26, 2009, 05:50 PM
That's a big negative rubberduck:neener:
Get outta here.

9mmepiphany
December 26, 2009, 05:53 PM
^^^

do you mean you don't think of the .375 H&H as a "medium" or the 7x57mm asa "light" in Africa?

Casefull
December 27, 2009, 12:06 AM
I have both and I think it is a __________ question in the first place. The 375 can replace the 308 but not the other way around.

H&Hhunter
December 27, 2009, 02:19 AM
.308 can't transect an Elk cow hip to shoulder at 75 yards in deep timber. .375... no problem.

Gaiudo,

Now where have you ever seen that done? Sounds like a fairy tale to me. That elk and about 20 others who've shared it's fate didn't have much to say afterward however.:cool:

The only people that I've ever talked to who trash talked a the .375H&H were those who hadn't used one on game.

And there aren't any flies on a .308 but we are comparing two entirely different rounds. By the way it was Jeff Cooper who said the 75 & 25 percent thing about the .375H&H. I think he was wrong on that one. But that is just my limited and uneducated opinion.;)

My quickest one shot kill on a cape buffalo was with the puny and inadequate .375H&H.

MNgunhead
December 29, 2009, 12:08 AM
No. If you need to ask, sell the 375.

ForneyRider
December 30, 2009, 01:15 AM
375H&H with 225gr Hornady is excellent varmint round with plenty of Varget powder. Little on the spendy side.

Water-Man
December 30, 2009, 02:19 AM
The answer is NO!

If you enjoyed reading about "Can .308Win do everything that .375H&H do?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!