Who has a 'Firearms' Category in Quicken/Money?

PDA

BerettaNut92
January 20, 2003, 02:46 PM
I set up a 'Tactical' spending category in MS Money.

Firearms
Firearms accessories & maintenance
Ammunition & range fees
Training and literature
Other Tactical Gear

Do you guys spend so much on your gun-related needs you set aside money in your accounting?

Heck, I spend more on ammo than on groceries!

If you enjoyed reading about "Who has a 'Firearms' Category in Quicken/Money?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Killians97
January 20, 2003, 02:57 PM
I do, in Microsoft Money though. Only one catagory for now. I budgeted range time, ammo, and my wife's new pistol, all into one. Don't ask what I have budgeted for that catagory. It's pathetic and small. :(

Regards,
Killians97

dairycreek
January 20, 2003, 02:59 PM
Don't want to have too much breakdown as my wife uses the program as well. Because she is a compulsive gardner we have a "plants", and "plant related", "fertilizer", "tools", etc., categories as well. Found out that she spends as much on her passion as I do on mine. Works for us! Good shooting:)

Mauserlady
January 20, 2003, 03:00 PM
Listed as a sub account of Entertainment is a catagory for ammo.

Amazing how much I spend considering I always seem to be out...

MoonMan
January 20, 2003, 03:22 PM
I have a catagory set up to remind my wife that there is money available for range time, practice ammo, etc.

The great thing is that while she still has a bit of the irrational fear of my inanimate object, she feels better knowing that I train and practice.

MikeK
January 20, 2003, 03:30 PM
Just one category for guns/shooting. Since the gun laws changed in MD on 1/1, no need for a further breakdown.

10-Ring
January 20, 2003, 05:10 PM
Sinsei, what if I do? Actually 2 categories...one for firearms, one for accessories :D

MJRW
January 20, 2003, 05:19 PM
Yeah, I sort of have that category. Although its cleverly disguised as the amount left over after everything is budgetted for.

JeepDriver
January 20, 2003, 06:14 PM
It's a sub catagory named Shooting in Recreation. Also have a seperate area for hunting expences.

The end of year total was scarry. I hope my wife never looks at it!

vertigo7
January 20, 2003, 07:05 PM
I've got a Firearms category, with subcategories for accessories and other non-gun gear, ammunition purchases, maintenance (cleaning gear / gunsmithing), new gun purchases, and training costs.

I've also got a separate asset account that tracks the purchase costs for each gun in my collection. I know their values will depreciate over time, but it's so nice watching this value increase after each purchase. :)

vertigo7

BerettaNut92
January 20, 2003, 08:07 PM
Whew! At least it isn't only me! I thought everyone was going to start laughing at me!:D

davera
January 20, 2003, 08:44 PM
"Shooting Sports" with two subcategories, ammunition and guns, need to add a third for training and a fourth for range costs.

MPFreeman
January 20, 2003, 08:50 PM
What if you have a "Quicken-Category" in your firearms budget?

What if you refinance for guns?

Oh the problems...

MPF

El Rojo
January 20, 2003, 09:07 PM
LOL! I just started using Quicken last week. I love it. And funny thing, I made a firearms catagory right away! I just put everything firearms in there: FFL fees, CCW fees, ammo, guns, you name it. LOL

kalibear45
January 20, 2003, 11:12 PM
Heck, I spend more on ammo than on groceries!

I need to be on this diet plan :D

BerettaNut92
January 21, 2003, 01:22 AM
Why do you think I'm only 120 lbs?

twoblink
January 21, 2003, 10:31 AM
Real... REAL men have an Excel Spreadsheet detailing what they are going to purchase, the suggested retail price of the item, a website link to it's description, a link of which location sells it cheapest, a column for what price you've paid for it, and savings vs. the suggested retail price in both $dollar amount as well as percentage of the MSRP.

And this is also done for FUTURE purchases..

I WIN!!:evil:

MPFreeman
January 21, 2003, 03:02 PM
120lbs!:what:

MitchSchaft
January 21, 2003, 03:04 PM
I had a firearms/hunting category set up in Quicken, but I quit using it last year due to the wife taking over all responsability for bill pay.

BerettaNut92
January 21, 2003, 03:14 PM
Real... REAL men have an Excel Spreadsheet detailing what they are going to purchase, the suggested retail price of the item, a website link to it's description, a link of which location sells it cheapest, a column for what price you've paid for it, and savings vs. the suggested retail price in both $dollar amount as well as percentage of the MSRP.

You can do that in Money too ;)

45R
January 21, 2003, 09:22 PM
We need "Tactical Banking Software" for our tactical goods. :)

Beav
January 21, 2003, 10:03 PM
gah, gun nerds! :neener:

BerettaNut92
January 22, 2003, 12:11 PM
MPFREEMAN:
120lbs!:what:

Whaddya think'll happen if I someone drops a 120 lb bowling ball on your head? :D I may be small, but I can get the job done, trust me. ;)

ChristopherG
January 22, 2003, 12:14 PM
Dude, are you insane? If I set up such a category--which would, I admit, be interesting--my WIFE might actually get some idea of how much all this stuff costs. Geez, it's clear you guys aren't married--or won't be for long!;)

M1911
January 22, 2003, 04:48 PM
I do. But I never look at the amount I spend in that category. My heart is too weak :what:

ChristopherG: I am married. But we have separate checking accounts and the missus doesn't have the password to Quicken :cool:

Basically, I don't ask her how much that new dress cost and she doesn't ask me how much my new gun cost. I also maintain a strict regimen of preventative maintenance. Last time around it was a new Mercedes for her. Diamond earings before that. I figure that will probably make up for the 2nd safe I have to buy...

John Galt
January 22, 2003, 04:56 PM
As an accountant....

Office Expense
___Hobbies
______Guns
______Boating
______Rocketry
______Books

And, of course, every single expense towards the kid's school like school pictures & such are "donations" along with JPFO, GOA, NRA.

My normal offices expense are maybe $30 / year so lots of room for hobbies.

BerettaNut92
January 22, 2003, 09:24 PM
Unmarried, and the future Mrs Skunk would probably buy more guns than me anyway, and probably not talk to me after arguing night after night, 1911 vs Glock.

El Rojo
January 22, 2003, 11:29 PM
Dream on Skunk, dream on. Oleg doesn't loan out Runt. Maybe a firearm, but she stays. Probably not because Oleg says so, but because she says so.

PATH
January 22, 2003, 11:33 PM
Like ChristopherG I have found that discretion is the better part of valor where my wife is concerned. She'd faint if she knew what I have spent in the last few years!

twoblink
January 23, 2003, 01:21 AM
Skunk, MS Money is EVIL; just like everything else MS touches.. The only decent product the produce is Excel, of course, that is outright STOLEN..

ChristopherG,

I'm a cryptographer!! Don't you have all your stuff encrypted with a 4096bit RSA key??

Someone once told me, if your wife isn't spending more on firearms than you, you married the wrong woman! Who was that?? Tamara told me that maybe??

muddyboots
January 23, 2003, 12:12 PM
I use Guntracker from Bangzoom Software. It has the Blue Book built in so you can assign values. If you take a photo of your guns with a digital camera you can insert those pictures into your inventory, also.

If you enjoyed reading about "Who has a 'Firearms' Category in Quicken/Money?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!