22/250

PDA

h&kusp45
December 26, 2009, 05:28 PM
Has anyone ever done work to a 22/250 like bull barrell and new stock? Just wondering about accuracy difference and barrel life and such... Any info would help..

If you enjoyed reading about "22/250" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
redneck2
December 26, 2009, 05:52 PM
Would most likely depend on the quality of the barrel. If you got something like a Pac-Nor, Krieger, etc. accuracy should improve, sometimes greatly. Factory barrels are luck of the draw.

As for the stock....if you stock is free floated, I suspect it would have very little effect assuming you have it bedded correctly.

Personally, I'd make sure I had a really good trigger as my second step after the barrel.

Art Eatman
December 26, 2009, 08:28 PM
Barrel life varies with the temperature at the entrance to the barrel from the chamber, the "leade". Maximum loads from large-capacity cases, and particularly if fired rapidly and in long strings, will erode this area faster than otherwise. The .22-250 is not particularly bad about this.

Bull barrels will provide more consistent accuracy for longer strings of fire, such as ten-shot groups in competition on paper, or for prairie dog shoots where there are numerous targets. For such use as coyote hunting there is no advantage.

h&kusp45
December 27, 2009, 12:07 AM
I would be using it for varmints such as prairie dogs and rabbits... So a bull barrell would be beneficial.. What about stock options? Synthetic? Wood? Doesn't have to be light weight..

trstafford
December 28, 2009, 02:24 AM
Had a very heavy barreled Savage once that was an outstanding ground hog shooter, it started out as a 22-250 but was rechambered for 22-243 Midleston. Savage makes great rifles for the money. The first question my hunting buddy asked when he saw my rifle was "where are the wheels for that thing"

If you enjoyed reading about "22/250" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!