how much does counterboring cost?

PDA

ineedmoney
December 26, 2009, 06:54 PM
and is it possible for me to do it? if so what do i need it is a mosin m44

If you enjoyed reading about "how much does counterboring cost?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Brimic
December 26, 2009, 06:57 PM
I've tried to do a counterboring job on a M44 in the past using a jobber bit and a hand drill- it didn't go well.

ineedmoney
December 26, 2009, 07:10 PM
sorry to hear that, is it anything you think you did wrong?

did your accuracy get worse or something?

Brimic
December 26, 2009, 07:17 PM
sorry to hear that, is it anything you think you did wrong?

did your accuracy get worse or something

LOL. It was on a Romanian M44 with one of the worst sewer pipe bores I've seen. I held the rifle in one hand with the butt on the floor, and the drill in the other, Everything went ok for the first 1/8" inch and then the drill grabbed, spinning the rifle in my hand, cutting my knuckles. The counterbore had wandered off center. Eventually I ended up cutting the barrel down in 1" increments until I was 1/2" over legal length, but the bore was still completely garbage to that point. Just for fun, I mounted a scope, cut a new crown and took it to the range- it shot about the same as before I started experimenting with it- about 3 foot groups at 25 yards. At least I only paid $49 for it, and now have some spare parts for my other M-Ns.

ineedmoney
December 26, 2009, 07:40 PM
reading that make me want to leave mine alone iam getting about 3" groups at 25 yards
with a loose front sight

Uncle Mike
December 26, 2009, 08:33 PM
Brownell's sells a muzzle crowning kit, for the inspired shadetree smithie!

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/cid=0/k=crown+kit/t=P/ksubmit=y/Products/All/search=crown_kit

Brimic
December 26, 2009, 11:01 PM
For a milsurp there is a much cheaper way.

http://www272.pair.com/stevewag/muzzle/mz.html

I simply use a carriage bolt and valve lapping compound- it takes a bit of work, but I've restored the accuracy of at least one basket case rifle using this method.

ineedmoney
December 26, 2009, 11:40 PM
for the price of them tools i could buy another gun..and i dont think that is the same as counter boring.....i might be wrong tho i really didnt read to much because i seen the price

ineedmoney
December 26, 2009, 11:44 PM
i was thinking i could get a gun smith to do it cheaper than that, i dont think it would take long maybe 30 mins at the most $25

ineedmoney
December 26, 2009, 11:48 PM
i think i need to go about 1/2" deep at least for it to make a difference

Uncle Mike
December 27, 2009, 05:02 AM
A 1/2" DEEP!

Well, forget the crowning tool! Cut of a 1/2", square the edge and re-crown.

Yeah...try to find a gun mechanic to do that...It'll be cheaper, faster and probably better than home work. Not that you can't do it, or your work is bad, not at all!

But they will have the crown cutters and maybe even chuck it in a lathe.

If you enjoyed reading about "how much does counterboring cost?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!