Is there a downside to Expanding Full Metal Jacket ammo?

PDA

berkbw
December 26, 2009, 08:09 PM
sorry

If you enjoyed reading about "Is there a downside to Expanding Full Metal Jacket ammo?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BK
December 26, 2009, 09:20 PM
Maybe the cost and/or availability? I don't know how much the stuff runs because I've never been able to find it.

VA27
December 26, 2009, 10:15 PM
Maybe the cost and/or availability? I don't know how much the stuff runs because I've never been able to find it.
+1!:D

outerlimit
December 26, 2009, 10:37 PM
Probably works fine in this forum, because EFMJ ammo is usually only made for autoloaders anyways. I can't think of any made for revolvers, closest thing would be soft point ammo. I'm not really a fan of EFMJ because a lot of it seems to be lighter weight and that coupled with the expansion seems to reduce the penetration a great deal to the point of being questionable for defense. Seems to be greater even than hollowpoints, because on those the jacket folds back when it encounters resistance. I understand people who want to use them in guns that won't feed conventional HP ammo, but I think if I had such a gun I would opt for something like Hornady Critical Defense, or Corbon Powerball, though I guess Powerball is kind of considered EFMJ and is pretty light, at least the loads I've seen. But I definitly like the Critical Defense, it's more like a hollowpoint, but has similar feed characteristics to FMJ.

Bobo
December 26, 2009, 10:58 PM
Don't know for sure, but it seems EFMJ is most popular in New Jersey because hollow point ammo is illegal there. It's about the only expandable ammo that is legal in NJ.

From the tests I've seen it expanded very reliably, but I don't remember how good it was on penetration.

Bobo

outerlimit
December 27, 2009, 12:42 AM
Bobo, are soft points legal in New Jersey? Seems to me they would be, since the ban is just on hollow point ammunition as far as I'm aware. A heavier SP revolver round like 147-158gr. .38spl/.357Mag or 200gr.+ .44spl would be a pretty decent alternative round to JHP.

Bobo
December 27, 2009, 04:46 PM
outerlimit said,
Bobo, are soft points legal in New Jersey? Seems to me they would be, since the ban is just on hollow point ammunition as far as I'm aware. A heavier SP revolver round like 147-158gr. .38spl/.357Mag or 200gr.+ .44spl would be a pretty decent alternative round to JHP.

I believe soft points are OK, and that may be the only fairly good expanding bullet option you might have for a revolver in NJ -- but IANAL.

Bobo

jon_in_wv
December 27, 2009, 10:40 PM
The downside to me seems to be that they don't work. The jacket has relief cuts in it that create little sharp edges and my 9mm don't like to feed it. Also, I've tested them in 9mm in water jugs and soaked newsprint and I've never gotten one to expand in the least. In one test my shot penetrated 6 jugs with mo penetration. For the second shot I place plywood behind the last jug. The second round penetrated all six jugs again and dented the plywood but the bullet looked like it had never been fired. I don't trust or like them in the least.

If you enjoyed reading about "Is there a downside to Expanding Full Metal Jacket ammo?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!