Swedish Coastal Ranger with really cool rifle, but what is it?

PDA

Hugo
November 12, 2003, 12:23 AM
Found this on www.specialoperations.com a great web site with info about special operation troops from around the world. Apparently this guy is a Swedish Coastal Ranger.

It seem all of Scandanavia was nervous to the point of nearly getting paranoid that they would get invaded by Russia during the Cold war. Good thinking to me since they saw Norway get screwed by the Nazi's and Finland had a hard time fighting off the Russians in 1939 and 1941. Guess that Viking blood came in handy. :)

So anyway exactly what is the bfg rifle this guy is holding? I'm pretty sure that's a 100 round drum or so and a big night vision scope on top but I have no clue what make it is.

Reminds me of the Finnish "Lahti" 20mm anti tank rifle. Screwed up Russian tanks and trucks and some planes a lot during their winter war in 1939. Saw one once at a gun show. Cool but freaking huge! $8,000 and I don't want to know how much ammo would cost you. Probably $20 a shot or something and the recoul and noise would probably kill your hearing and walet. Ok thats enough rambling. Replay away.

If you enjoyed reading about "Swedish Coastal Ranger with really cool rifle, but what is it?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ian
November 12, 2003, 12:57 AM
I'll go out on a limb and guess that it's a FAL, under all the doohickies.

BDM
November 12, 2003, 01:04 AM
Looks like an FNC

swampsniper
November 12, 2003, 01:18 AM
How about something based on what is already one of the most accurate rifles ever, a Carl Gustav or Husqy made Mauser? :D

swampsniper
November 12, 2003, 01:31 AM

swampsniper
November 12, 2003, 01:35 AM
1 MOA or better, all day

roscoe
November 12, 2003, 01:39 AM
My god, that thing should come with a tracked vehicle to carry it. I hope it does something really special.

Mike Irwin
November 12, 2003, 02:09 AM
Good lord!

Grenade launcher (I think)

Drum magazine.

Some sort of night vision scope, I suspect...

Where's the doohicky for opening cans?

7.62FullMetalJacket
November 12, 2003, 02:12 AM
I think only Ahnold could carry that thing. Does it come with a Chinook helo?:rolleyes:

Gabe
November 12, 2003, 03:05 AM
It's the Swedish variant of the FNC, the Bofors AK-5. Looks like it as a huge ammo drum and a night sight.

mete
November 12, 2003, 05:04 AM
I didn't know the Fnc s could handle a drum mag, G3 variants can. But with grenade launcher and night sight it must weigh a few pounds.

Spieler
November 12, 2003, 06:43 AM
I have to agree with BDM and Gabe, it is an FNC variant. The FNC uses a steel M16 STANAG magazine and can utilize any mag that fits the M16/AR15 series. The drum shown in the picture looks to me like the '90 Rounder' that was marketed here in the U.S. in the mid to late 80s by... Ramline? I'll have to check some old gun rags at home later to verify that. The FNC is a great rifle that hasn't gotten it's share of respect IMHO. Another pre-ban I never should have let go! :banghead:

threeseven
November 12, 2003, 08:22 AM
I don't know about you guys, but I think that looks utterly terrible.

MaterDei
November 12, 2003, 08:56 AM
Are you sure he is a Swede and not Swiss?

Looks like a Swiss Army Gun to me. :D

He is totally unsupported (unless the tall grass counts). That thing, with a full magazine would weigh 30 lbs. A pair of shooting sticks might make sense, no?

MaterDei
November 12, 2003, 08:58 AM
On second glance, he looks to be either squatting or sitting. No?

El Tejon
November 12, 2003, 09:05 AM
Hugo, it is a Space Rangered AK-5.

The AK-5 is the Swedish version of the FNC. It's only a .223 no matter how much gun show rubbish one stacks on it, not a 20 mikey-mike.:p

Hugo
November 12, 2003, 09:58 AM
Whoops. Didn't mean to cause confusion like I thought this looked like a lahti 20mm anti tank rifle. The Lahti I saw at the gun show looked a lot like a Barret .50 but with the magazine loading from the top and it was bigger. The rifle in the picture is clearly .223 or .308 but definitely not 20mm. Can anybody tell if he is from Sweden or Finland? Not sure if I was correct on the country and someone must know the uniform patches or something. Check out www.specialoperations.com too. good website.

Kharn
November 12, 2003, 10:15 AM
Thats not a drum, but a magazine that curls to the side. They typically hold 90 rounds of .223. Tapco had them for the Mini14 for like $90 last time I looked.

Kharn

Mike Irwin
November 12, 2003, 12:53 PM
If it's round and looks like you could keep the beat for a smoking salsa dance, it's a drum magazine. ;)

max popenker
November 13, 2003, 04:49 AM
this is a Bofors AK-5, a modified FN FNC
http://world.guns.ru/assault/ak5.jpg

some details: http://world.guns.ru/assault/as35-e.htm

Hugo
November 14, 2003, 01:46 AM
Interesting. thanks for the info. The scope on his rifle looks like it weighs as much as the gun. You would have to be in pretty good shape to carry that thing around the woods all day.

Hmmm. Note to self, get gym membership before thanksgiving.

hksw
November 14, 2003, 01:31 PM
Better pic of the Swed CR and rifle.

http://www.specialoperations.com/Foreign/Sweden/jagare.jpg

hksw
November 14, 2003, 01:33 PM
Whoops, my error. That's a Norrlands jaeger, not Coastal.

Pumpkinheaver
November 14, 2003, 01:53 PM
FNC with added toys!

4v50 Gary
November 14, 2003, 02:01 PM
The magazine is an American MGW 90 rounder that was popular back in the late '80s and early '90s. I happen to have one for the Mini-14 and another for the AR.

If you enjoyed reading about "Swedish Coastal Ranger with really cool rifle, but what is it?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!