Your gun interest is growing in which direction?

PDA

twoblink
November 11, 2003, 11:53 PM
Having a few chats with fellow THR'ers..

I seemed to have my interests move from:

Semi-auto pistols --> Revolvers --> Rifles

So tell me what direction your gun interests are progressing?

(I wait in anticipation for Tamara's diagram..):evil:

If you enjoyed reading about "Your gun interest is growing in which direction?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jesse H
November 11, 2003, 11:55 PM
Idling :-(

Haven't purchased a gun in almost a year.

Haven't purchased ammo in a few months.

Haven't shot a gun in a month.

Haven't dry fired in weeks.

twoblink
November 12, 2003, 12:04 AM
Jesse,

Is this what happens when you take up a LEO job?? :confused: :scrutiny:

Skunkabilly
November 12, 2003, 12:27 AM
Clay shooting shotgun games -> semi-auto handgun plinking -> semi-auto handgun steel plate matches -> three gun matches -> CCW -> gun school & photography

Mike Irwin
November 12, 2003, 12:29 AM
Same way my interest has been growing for the past nearly 20 years... revolvers.

Yeah, I have other guns. I've bought other guns. But I'm still a revolver guy at heart.

10-Ring
November 12, 2003, 12:30 AM
Sometimes I shoot semi autos, sometimes, I shoot wheelguns :D Sometimes I shoot right handed & sometimes I shoot lefty :neener:

sm
November 12, 2003, 12:31 AM
1911 style, and old smith wheels always have and has never changed.

Shotguns and rifles only change is the ga/cal for the job. Their Platforms same way.

Competed for awhile. Although have always CCW, and cogiznant of security and safety, more attention to these.

DualBerettas
November 12, 2003, 12:43 AM
to the stuff the gov. won't let me have....SIG 552, GALIL AR/ARM, SIG SNIPER RIFLE, MP5s, UMP, G36, P90, TMP, M60E4, SAW...what a collection that would be!!

DB

Oleg Volk
November 12, 2003, 12:49 AM
Guns--->ammo--->Accessories--->training...never enough of the last.

4v50 Gary
November 12, 2003, 12:57 AM
Revolvers when I was young. Then it was rifles (HK-91) in college. Pistols in the '80s. Full Autos from mid-80s to early '90s. Around '94 first got drawn to flintlocks. Now it's older guns and sharpshooting. Must be age.

DontShootMe
November 12, 2003, 01:11 AM
Autoloaders
Revolvers
back to Autoloaders
CCW
Plinking (.22's)
Skeet
1911's
holsters and more holsters

that's where I am now. Currently acquiring a Miami classic Galco SH with the SS2 shoulder straps

Greg L
November 12, 2003, 01:13 AM
[Non-highroad joke deleted.]

Did I read that wrong? http://www.newf.net/ubb/graemlins/angel.gif

Recently my interests have been along the lines of cheap C&R weapons, those that I can buy in sets of three (three kids who will get the contents of the various safes one of these days....) .

Other than that, most anything that goes bang at a reasonable cost:bang for $ spent ratio.

Greg

natedog
November 12, 2003, 01:17 AM
Semi-auto pistols...don't own any though :(

Dr.Rob
November 12, 2003, 01:17 AM
Plinking>hunting>newguns>evil black guns>old guns>competition shooting

WhoKnowsWho
November 12, 2003, 01:26 AM
Autoloader->Rifle->Autoloader->Rifle->Revolver->Autoloader->Autoloader->Autoloader->Autoloader->Revolver->AR-15->Autoloader->Etc...->CCW->Lever Action->Reloading->Autoloader...

I prefer autoloaders, don't mind a revolver every now and again. I like rifles, but handguns are so much more convenient to take to the range.

Haven't sent in for my C&R yet... this interest line would be skewed in a few directions then...

Mike Irwin
November 12, 2003, 01:27 AM
[Continuation of non-highroad joke deleted.]

tomkatz
November 12, 2003, 01:29 AM
Same way my interest has been growing for the past nearly 20 years... revolvers.

I'll agree with mike on this, I buy/own fancy autoloaders, but those revolvers just have a hold on me, I'm almost always carrying a revolver.

In addition lately I seem to be getting interested in old military weapons.......tom

Black Majik
November 12, 2003, 01:52 AM
Autoloader pistols ~~~~> Shotguns ~~~~> Long range Bolt Guns

... so far...

Jesse H
November 12, 2003, 02:46 AM
Twoblink said,

Jesse,

Is this what happens when you take up a LEO job??

Nope...this is what happens when you take on new hobbies (girlfriend, motorcycle).

I may go to a gunshow this weekend, though.

Majic
November 12, 2003, 03:22 AM
revolvers > briefly tried shotguns > briefly tried pistols > rifles > back to and stayed revolvers

badgerrr
November 12, 2003, 03:53 AM
Of late, my facination with revolvers is on the wane.

Am becoming more interested in Single Shot Rifles and small rifle calibers.

semf
November 12, 2003, 05:12 AM
my first love is revolvers & shotguns. I had a brief affair with semi auto pistols but I think that's over. As a matter of fact just yesterday I think I decided to sell or trade off some of them to get into C.A.S.

Spieler
November 12, 2003, 05:19 AM
Military style 'assault rifles' (pre-'89) > hi-cap 'wonder-nine' semi auto pistols > milsurp rifles > surplus semi-auto & 1911-style pistols > revolvers (currently).

igor
November 12, 2003, 05:27 AM
Basics marksmanship -> IPSC -> practical rifle -> next will be shotgun and off to 3-gun I go!

ACP230
November 12, 2003, 08:11 AM
Smith N frames, especially those in .41 Magnum.

Highly accurate .22 rifles with high powered scopes for an e-mail .22 benchrest match I participate in.

Right now my deer rifles are eclipsing both since the rifle deer season starts on Saturday here.

Kharn
November 12, 2003, 08:56 AM
Military rifles -> pistols -> C&Rs -> practical social firearms.
But for the moment, I'm trying to concentrate more on becoming accurate with the ones I have, so I'm buying ammo instead of guns.

Kharn

jrhead75
November 12, 2003, 09:34 AM
Military style/surplus rifles. Oh yeah, and coming up with creative ways to fund my newly aquired C&R habit without the War Dept(wife) finding out.

TonyB
November 12, 2003, 09:36 AM
big revolvers..to small revolvers..to autos...to plastic autos...to small plastic autos....someone please help me........:o

Sean Smith
November 12, 2003, 10:15 AM
Well, I guess we were bound to have a Tamara cannibalism topic eventually. :evil:

I've stuck to handguns, but have steadily progressed from quantity to quality.

Beav
November 12, 2003, 10:30 AM
started with semi-auto handguns, tried a revolver but it wasn't me. Next will be rifles and then training.

Werewolf
November 12, 2003, 10:46 AM
coming up with creative ways to fund my newly aquired C&R habit

Probably a dumb question but what the heck is C&R????

Daedalus
November 12, 2003, 11:03 AM
Shotguns > rifles > rifles > rifles > rifles ... ... > rifles > rifles

Greg L
November 12, 2003, 11:37 AM
Probably a dumb question but what the heck is C&R????

Curio & Relic FFL. $30 for 3 years & you can have the firearms shipped right to your door.

Essentially anything that is 50 years or older is allowed (the relic part) and a variety of newer arms that the ATF had decided were odd enough that only a collector would want them (Curio).

Well worth the money to get one.

Greg

RustyHammer
November 12, 2003, 11:38 AM
Revolvers -> Semi-Auto Handguns -> Lever Guns -> Shot Guns -> "Black Rifles" -> Battle Rifles ...... ammo, Ammo, AMMO

then,

Revolvers -> Semi-Auto Handguns -> Lever Guns -> Shot Guns -> "Black Rifles" -> Battle Rifles ...... ammo, Ammo, AMMO

then,

then,

:scrutiny:

Kaylee
November 12, 2003, 11:44 AM
gotten progressively more old timey. Started with an AR interest, since I wanted a big scary gun for defense and figured the army knew what it was doing when it picked a rifle. Yeah, I'm a naiive kid sometimes. :)

Progressively lost interest in the more defensive stuff and got caught up in the history of the things. From semis to bolts and now if I could add anything for over the fireplace, it would prolly be an 1859 Sharps cavalry carbine, paper cartridges and all.

I figure at this rate I'll just have a collection of sticks and rocks in a year or two. :)

-K

Rockrivr1
November 12, 2003, 12:55 PM
Started off with wheel guns, moved to semi auto handguns, then got my first shotgun and got into trap/skeet. My interests then moved to Highpower Service Rifle, which gave me my first AR-15. I've stayed with shooting Highpower occasionally, but have started an interest in bolt rifles. Started that with a C&R Mauser, moved to a nice FN sniper setup and am currently waiting for the 50 bmg big boy to top off the collection.

No telling where I'll go from there.

Swamprabbit
November 12, 2003, 01:39 PM
Used to be that I always wanted a different rifle/revolver/pistol. As I'm getting older, I tend to focus more on what I like. I like 1911s so I now own 3; I like ARs so I now own 3; get the picture?

Black Snowman
November 12, 2003, 03:35 PM
Clay birds -> Target semi-auto pistols -> exotic action -> EBR -> target rifle -> EBR with exotic action -> exotic actions and oddball calibers sprinkled with "Oooh, that's a good deal!"

Atticus
November 12, 2003, 03:36 PM
Finding the time and motivation to improve my shooting ability with the ones I already own; and channeling the resources to modify them as needed. However, my interests today lean more toward the traditional lever actions, bolt guns and revolvers.

Ed
November 12, 2003, 03:45 PM
Let me see Bolt action, Lever action Rifles, Semi auto Pistols,Revolvers,Rifles,BP,C&R Kinda funny. Lots of people like me have gone from the most recent back to older weapons. With Me I guess Its because they are more challenging, with the BP, and more powerful in Handguns. I also have gone to all wood instead of plastic on firearms. I son't own a single firearm that doesn't have a wood stock or grip. Anyone else like that?

BigG
November 12, 2003, 04:06 PM
>$

Ala Dan
November 12, 2003, 04:56 PM
Greeting's All-

Born with a revolver in my hand, I diverted to the fast
pace of the semi-auto's as a LEO in the 1980's; but
now its back to revolver's. It's a wild and whacky world
that we live in!:D :uhoh:

FootNote- Oh yes! I still favor the self-loader as a CCW
piece.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

QuarterBoreGunner
November 12, 2003, 05:01 PM
Curiosity about Dad’s service revolver when he was still active duty> evil black guns (I blame Peter Kokalis and SOF total immersion during my formative years) > N frame revolvers > ¼ bore varmit type rifles (naturally) > benchrest .22 rifles.

goon
November 12, 2003, 05:17 PM
I always have an interest in C&Rs, but lately I have been more into the non-PC black rifles.
AK, AR-15, FAL, CETME-- They are the ones that I tend to look over every time I go into a shop.
I am planning a FAL purchase before too long.:D

P95Carry
November 12, 2003, 05:54 PM
Always had plenty of rifles . and still love em but .... the trend tho (from an active useage/interest POV) has been ever more toward shorter things!!

I am probably in Mike Irwin's camp .... always come back to the faves being wheel guns .... plus getting more interested now in hand rifles!

Standing Wolf
November 12, 2003, 08:38 PM
My interest is evolving from high class .22 caliber pistols to high class .22 caliber pistols. That may not seem to be much of a change, but they're at least getting more expensive.

Stoney
November 12, 2003, 08:53 PM
Colt blackpowder revolvers. Have five now and am bidding on number
six on GunBroker.

cool45auto
November 12, 2003, 09:32 PM
semi-auto pistols->shotguns->old battle rifles->semi-auto pistols again

twoblink
November 12, 2003, 09:53 PM
I see a lot of people moving from shiny and black modern stuff towards older stuff..

I've have personally found older stuff has longer lasting appeal too..

Then again, there are those Class 3 weapons.. Is it a "forbidden fruit" thing??:evil:

Chris Rhines
November 12, 2003, 09:56 PM
My big problem is that I keep adding new interests without losing the old ones.

UIT bullseye, NRA Conventional Pistol, CCW, IDPA, Steel, Highpower rifle, gunsmithing, on, and on, and on...

- Chris

TechBrute
November 12, 2003, 10:28 PM
Autos
Revolvers
Tactical Shotguns
Precision Rifles
Fancy O/U Shotguns

Currently on AR15s

Will be moving on to .308 Battlerifles soon. I'm thinking FALs, M1As, AR10s, and G3s... several.

Will probably take up AKs after that. My bank account will need a break.

Might go back to 1911s somewhere along the way.

Oh crap... I'm in a class III state now... :evil:

hansolo
November 12, 2003, 10:37 PM
C&R is a Curio/Relic over 50 years old

That's me...I feel so frikin old!:cuss:

Mr Jody Hudson
November 12, 2003, 10:54 PM
My current evolution is to the good, cheap ammo and good cheap guns. Makarov, PA63, Keltec, Glock and Hungarian military surplus baby pistols. Along with the good cheap guns I'm evolving to excellent surplus ammo in .380, 9x18, 9mm, .45 and Aguilla .22 for my smaller and smaller, better and better, little .22s.

This has been driven by my evolution to smaller and smaller pistols. Keltec is the culprit mostly. The Keltec micro .380 is an awesome little pistol and I've picked up quite a bit of surplus ammo from military and from police. I'm leaning heavily in the direction of the baby Glock .45 next and am seeking some "special" surplus military or police ammo for it in anticipation.

MikeJ
November 12, 2003, 11:14 PM
Revolvers! I thought I was pretty well fixed with handguns but lately there have been a number of revolvers that have grabbed my attention. Mike

farscott
November 13, 2003, 07:15 AM
Mine is mostly toward rimfires, especially .22 LR, but I am also returning to the revolver after really building my 1911 resources. I also seem to be getting away from magnums and using quieter (and less expensive) cartridges. So less .44 Magnum and .454 Casull and more .38 Special and .44 Special. And a lot more .22 LR.

Gunner45
November 13, 2003, 10:52 AM
Over the last few months I have been drawn more and more to Trap and Skeet. I hadn't really been into shotguns since high school when I won a multi school trap match.

Now I am finding my self having to decide witch I am going to do IDPA or Trap/Skeet. So far I have been doing both, but Mrs. Gunner45 is catching on that something is up....:rolleyes:

Gunner45

Sven
November 13, 2003, 11:55 AM
My interests are growing like a tree in all directions. Shotguns, rifles, big guns small guns. Gear, training, reloading, maintenance...

Carlos Cabeza
November 13, 2003, 12:20 PM
Started out mostly with shotguns for bird/skeet shooting then centerfire rifles for med. game hunting, went to semiauto handguns with my first being a BHP, then 1911's, cowboy revolvers were next, made it to the "blackrifle" club after a few years, got a Krag from my ol' Pops and now I'm into old military rifles such as broomhandles, garands etc. Always looking for a new 1911 though.:D

Checkman
November 13, 2003, 12:37 PM
I went from magnum revolvers to evil black rifles. After several years of stagnation I became enamored with semi-auto pistols, then military surplus rifles (especially Lee-Enfields) and recently I have found myself drawn to revolvers. In particular I have developed a fascination with 2 - 3 inch barrell .38 and .357 revolvers both old and new. Go figure:scrutiny:

MyRoad
November 13, 2003, 12:58 PM
Mine has been more of focus change than gun-type change. I started with home defense in mind and bought .45's. Then I spent so much time practicing at the range, that I moved to 9mm's and target guns for fun. Now I'm focussed on the perfect CCW - currently a P7M8 but looking at a P239 and a G36. If/when I move out to the country, I'll probably get more into rifles, but there's just no place to shoot them where I live. I suppose I started with autos and then included revolvers in the mix, but now its about a 3-to-1 ratio, and I go back and forth.

Mikul
November 13, 2003, 03:40 PM
semi-auto handguns -> action shooting -> competitive pistol shooting

I want to do longish (400-600 yards) range rifle shooting next.

Cosmoline
November 13, 2003, 04:54 PM
I've had many shifts as my knowledge has grown. I've gone from all semi handguns to a mix of handguns and massive revolvers to curio and relic rifles to small compact revolvers, etc. I switch from Mausers to Mosins and back again.

I'm currently into Mosin Nagant Rifles and Colt DA revolvers. It changes monthy, though.

Bill Hook
November 13, 2003, 05:00 PM
C&Rs

Checkman
November 13, 2003, 05:08 PM
No matter where my interests go I hold onto most of what I buy. I still own my first gun. A Marlin 22 bolt action rifle that was given to me for my thirteenth birthday in 1981. I still shoot it occassionally and I'm never getting rid of it. Guns are expensive and I make sure I really want it before I buy it. Well with a couple exceptions ( a Chilean Steyr Model 1912 Mauser and a Smith and Wesson Victory revolver ) but I still own those as well.They're fun.:cool:

Red Dane
November 13, 2003, 05:25 PM
Kinda weird... I started off with a .22 Henry lr that my dad bought for me. I then recieved a 12 gauge and moved up to a .22 Colt Diamondback that a family member gave me for my birthday. Since that date (and since I turned 21 and got my pistol license), I've added a Walther ppks .380, Sig 228, Colt Commander .45 model 80 and an H&K USP compact .40.

I'm now looking at evil awful horrible assault rifles, starting with the Beretta Storm (beats me why, but I like it, I know, I know.. it isn't an "assault rifle"), kind of want an AK & a Bushmaster too. Maybe someday when I get swamped in cash :D ;) I'm really leaning to old rifles and cowboy pistols now. Dunno whats happened to me.

Girlwithagun
November 13, 2003, 05:27 PM
In our house, the order of progression for guns is:

once in a blue moon---->once or twice a year---->every chance we get :neener:

Silent Bob
November 13, 2003, 05:57 PM
I spent the past 3 years focused almost entirely on semi-automatic pistols of the 9mm and .45 ACP variety. Finally this year I have branched out into rifles, and am now discovering the joy of scatterguns. Also for the first time in years I find myself re-discovering the .22LR.

Kukri
November 14, 2003, 12:38 AM
Semi-Auto Pistols--> Single Shot Hand Rifles---> Revolvers---> Single Actions

Autoloading Rifles---> Bolt Action and Lever Action Rifles and Single Shots

Pump Shotguns---> Stevens 311

I realized that I had more fun with the manually operated firearms than with the Semi automatics. I had a big smile on my face when shooting revolvers and the like. Tastes change.

twoblink
November 14, 2003, 10:57 AM
I might start getting into expensive competition air pistol shooting! You want to talk about tough!! In that catagory, .2" different between 10 shots finished last place!!

MrAcheson
November 14, 2003, 11:41 AM
Cowboy -> High Tech Plastic -> Shotgunning (now) -> Elegant and Classic Handguns

My next purchase will probably be a shotgun because I just went skeet shooting for the first time a couple weeks ago and it was a blast. The next several after that will be Metal-and-Wood Semis and Revolvers. I was at the AUSA convention a while back in DC and I just kept coming back to the Colt booth to handle those government models and revolvers.

If you enjoyed reading about "Your gun interest is growing in which direction?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!