Who Still Makes a Good .41 Magnum?

PDA

Olympus
December 28, 2009, 12:48 PM
I'd really like to add the .41 Magnum to my caliber list but I seem to come up empty when I try to find anyone who still makes guns in this caliber. I know Ruger makes a Blackhawk in .41 mag, but I'm really wanting more of a modern style. I'd like to fill the gap between .357 mag and .44 mag. It would be mainly a range toy, but I'd like to have the option to use it on deer and hogs if the opportunity came up. I wouldn't even be opposed to a pistol calibered rifle, but I haven't found anyone who makes a carbine or lever rifle in .41. I've even scoured GunBroker and have come up empty. Any suggestions?

If you enjoyed reading about "Who Still Makes a Good .41 Magnum?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
calaverasslim
December 28, 2009, 01:46 PM
It is really unusual for this type of question. I suspect Taurus makes a 41 mag revolver. Think so, tho.

However, I know that there are 3 or 4 from S&W.

1. M57

2. M657

3. M58

4. M658

Go to smith&wesson forum.com and check their classifides. I think there are several right now.

There is a Marlin M1894(?) that was made in 41 mag. Marlinforum.com has them quite often for sale in their classifides

good luck

Kurt S.
December 28, 2009, 01:48 PM
You may not like this brand, but don't believe everything you hear: http://www.taurususa.com . They still make a compact 5-shot, a medium frame "Tracker" 5 shot ported bbl configuration, and also have the .41 in the 6-shot "Raging" series.

Olympus
December 28, 2009, 03:04 PM
I saw that. They're not up my alley as far as looks, but they'd make a good gun to take to the woods and use. That's a definite possibility.

Leanwolf
December 29, 2009, 01:25 AM
CALAVERASSLIM - " There is a Marlin M1894(?) that was made in 41 mag."

Yep, and it's a dandy, too. I bought a new Marlin 1894S in .41 Magnum in 1987. Went perfectly with my S&W 57 .41 Magnum as a great combo when bustin' around out in the boonies.

I haven't any idea how many rounds I've put through that combo. Killed one medium Mule deer with the Marlin at about 90 yards, and one 400 pound Black bear with the S&W. (The bear was treed. I was hunting behind bear dogs in very rough and steep country and I did not want to pack the weight of a rifle. One round: dead bear.)

Nothing wrong with a .41 Magnum. :)

L.W.

sargenv
December 29, 2009, 01:30 AM
I have a 7.5" S&W 657.. I always wanted one but now that I have it, well, I really have no real use for it other than having a larger than 357 Magnum handgun. I like it, it is a bit heavier than my 6.5" competition 610..

calaverasslim
December 29, 2009, 07:44 AM
For those of you who have the 41mag., ddixie1984(?) on rugerforum.com has 41 special brass, headstamped so, from starline. 210/215gr bullet ahead of 14gr of IMR 4227 is a super load. If you hate 44 mag but love the 44 special, this is the one for you.

Capstick1
December 30, 2009, 02:05 AM
I'm glad somebody finally took some initiative and started selling ".41 Special" rounds. That's one of the reasons the .41 Magnum has never been that popular. With a .41 Magnum pistol the only rounds you could shoot were the 41 Magnum and that was it. Up to this point noone ever made a shorter, less recoiling .41 caliber round available for it. The nice thing about a .357 Magnum or .44 Magnum revolver was that you always had the option to shoot .38 Special or .44 Special if you didn't want to beat the web of your hand all to hell shooting full power magnum loads practicing at the range. Sometimes I think the .41 Magnum would've achieved more popularity if they had released the .41 Special first for a few years and then released the magnum version afterwards.

W.E.G.
December 30, 2009, 02:28 AM
If you want a "modern" pistol in .41 caliber, you should settle for .40 caliber.

In that case, there is a multitude of pistols in 10mm, which is identical to the .41 magnum in terms of performance downrange.

If you want a .41 magnum rifle, you can have any rifle you want, so long as its a Marlin.
Impact guns has one right now.
http://www.impactguns.com/store/1894FG.html

For pistols in genuine .41 magnum caliber, you can't beat a Blackhawk, and that's that.

If you shop around long enough, you can find Desert Eagle pistols in .41 magnum caliber.
Something of an oddball gun in my estimate.

ArmedBear
December 30, 2009, 09:32 AM
210/215gr bullet ahead of 14gr of IMR 4227 is a super load.

What's that, about 700 fps?

Whenever I've done something like that with magnum brass, the pressure doesn't expand the case and there's a lot of nasty blow-by.

I don't think I'd plunk down the cash to buy a .41 Magnum, to shoot that load in it. A good .38 Special is a lot easier to find, and makes a fun and accurate target gun with cheaper components. K38 Target Masterpieces aren't that expensive, and can probably be had in good shape, for cheaper than a good new .41 Magnum.

I'm not a recoil junkie; I just don't think it's worth paying for a .41 or .44 magnum revolver just to punch paper with SASS loads. .38 Special is a wonderful round if it's not for hunting or trail carry, and lightly-loaded .38 is accurate, very fun, and cheap to make.:)

Quoheleth
December 30, 2009, 09:33 AM
I picked up a Blackhawk, 6.5", this summer for a song. It's a fun gun to shoot. I got it for hogs, the hunting of which has not matriculated, but it's become a favorite range gun for blasting and plinking. If all you want is for hunting, a single action is hard to beat. If you want it for carry, I will not put up a strong argument that a DA is probably a better choice.

Q

WC145
December 30, 2009, 09:43 AM
S&W currently shows 8 different .41mags on their website. It took about 5 seconds to find them, you must not be looking too hard.:rolleyes:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogSearchResultView?storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&pageSize=10&published=1&beginIndex=0&resultType=2&attributeName1=Caliber&attributeValue1=.41MAG&attributeValueType1=STRING&attributeValueOperator1=EQUAL&isFirearm=Y

WhoKnowsWho
December 31, 2009, 05:38 AM
You could pick up an older Desert Eagle :D

bigmike45
December 31, 2009, 09:55 AM
Smith & Wesson just came out with a new Model 58 Classic in .41mag with a 4" barrel. In the picture I saw in the December 2009 copy of Combat Handguns, the gun is beautifully blued and it has the wood service grips with the screw hole in the middle of the diamond, located in the center of the checkering. I know it's not the original and those of you that have one will probably turn up your noses and sneer at it. But for someone who looked for one of these for many years, I really like it. Yes it does have the hated lock and does not have a pinned barrel or hammer. Again that is desireable but not a deal buster for me. Now I really don't want another 41mag as I have three stainless Redhawks and one Taurus, but if I see one of these laying in a case or on a gunshow table, and I pick it up, I might just rethink that feeling!!!
http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson/upload/images/firearms/150500_large.jpg

highlander 5
December 31, 2009, 10:11 AM
Ruger made the Redhawk in 41 mag for a time you might be able to find on on Gunbroker.

MagnumDweeb
December 31, 2009, 10:17 AM
A greater concern to me is ammo. I can't find a steady amount of practice ammo anywhere.

Walkalong
December 31, 2009, 10:40 AM
I vote for a Ruger Redhawk (http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=106775&d=1254926047), but you will have to pick one up used. No longer in production.

Rexster
December 31, 2009, 10:52 PM
I very nearly bought a Freedom Arms Model 97 chambered in .41 mag.

I carried an S&W Model 58 on duty, and quite a bit n my own time, in the 1980's. It is mostly retired now; I still have it.

W.E.G.
December 31, 2009, 11:02 PM
A greater concern to me is ammo. I can't find a steady amount of practice ammo anywhere.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/smileys/confused-1.gif

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/ammunition/rockchuckerset.jpg

Clifford
December 31, 2009, 11:35 PM
W.E.G. A 10mm is far from identical to a .41 rem mag, especially if you are a reloader. The top Hodgdon list for a 10mm is pushing a 180 grn Sierra jhp at 1287 FPS. A .41 will push a 170 sierra jhp at 1887 FPS, yes it's a lighter bullet but the .41 really shines with heavy rounds. Again Hodgdon lists a .41 pushing a 265 hardcast at 1556 FPS, that's 1412 ftlbs.

But if he is not a reloader you are probably correct, i'm told that factory .41 mag isn't really loaded up to snuff.

W.E.G.
December 31, 2009, 11:47 PM
...i'm told that factory .41 mag isn't really loaded up to snuff.

1250 FPS from Winchester Silvertips
http://www.winchester.com/Products/handgun-ammunition/super-x/silvertip-hollow-point/Pages/X41MSTHP2.aspx

I'd say there's still a goodly bark with just that.

If you enjoyed reading about "Who Still Makes a Good .41 Magnum?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!