What's the best scope for an AR

PDA

Mr. T
December 28, 2009, 02:43 PM
Hello Everyone,

I'm in the market for a mid range priced scope that will be adequate for ranges up to 300 yards. I've been looking at the BSA sweet .223, but don't have any experience with them. I've also been looking at Bushnell and Nikon as well. Does anyone have any advice on this.:confused:

Pictures of set ups are also appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "What's the best scope for an AR" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
matrem
December 28, 2009, 02:55 PM
I hope by "midrange", you are willing to get close to the two hundred dollar point?
If so, there are several that should fill your requirement.

R.W.Dale
December 28, 2009, 02:59 PM
The "best" is probably going to be a $1000+ optic

I like the Leupold vxI 2x7x33 for around $200

but either way there's many many better options than chinese made garbage optics. You'll go far if you will follow my advice ad never buy chinese optics. I learned the hard way don't follow in my footsteps

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=111673&d=1261687951

Z-Michigan
December 28, 2009, 02:59 PM
There is no one best scope. It depends on your uses, the compromises you prefer, and your own shooting technique and eyesight.

Among conventional scopes, good deals under $300 are going to be Weaver, Leupold (some models), Burris, a few Bushnell models, and Nikon. You will get more quality for the money with a fixed power scope like a Weaver K4 than with a variable.

Maverick223
December 28, 2009, 03:06 PM
I would opt for a Zeiss Conquest, SuperSniper, Bushnell Elite 3200/4200, or perhaps a Leupold VX-III. The Zeiss is the best deal for good optics IMO. If you don't want high-magnification (which you don't need for 300yds.), target turrets, FFP, et cetera you have a lot of good options...if you want any of the above, the price will start to go up steadily to retain good glass quality.

:)

Mr. T
December 28, 2009, 03:22 PM
Actually I was looking for something that would be adequate to take into the field hunting, but could still do the job when I go to the rifle range. I'm looking to keep costs in the $200 - $300 price range. I would like to find something that has a BDC on it also. Am I asking too much?

Maverick223
December 28, 2009, 03:28 PM
Am I asking too much?In a word...yes. You need to expand your budget a little to get good optics, let me see what I can find, BRB.

BDCs, typically come at a premium...or on mediocre optics. The best I can find is a Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9x40mm with the DOA-600 reticle, which is probably tuned for .308 at max magnification, but with .223 you can determine what the drop is and compensate for that by using a different magnification (keep in mind that ballistic reticles are only really useful when you have a FFP optic...which is way out of your budget). It has good glass, hunting turrets (which you want so branches and such don't make your adjustments for you), a ballistic reticle, and is a well built optic.

:)

matrem
December 28, 2009, 03:29 PM
You should have no trouble finding a great scope in that range.
VX1 in the 200. range & VX2 in the 300.
You'll be fine with either.

R.W.Dale
December 28, 2009, 03:30 PM
I THINK you can order a Leupold with a ballisticly matched reticle and come in under $300 if you stick with the right line

https://customshop.leupold.com/

The leupold pictured above on my rifle has a generic "BDC" reticle

Shadow Man
December 28, 2009, 03:30 PM
A BDC equipped scope for under $300? I'm no scope guru, but the only one I know of that has a good BDC is a Trijicon ACOG...and there is no way you will get one for under $300.

Orr...maybe there is and I should just keep my mouth shut :D

By the by, Krochus, gorgeous rifle sir.

Smeh
December 28, 2009, 03:36 PM
The Leupold Mark AR line will come close to the 300 dollar mark if you look around. I have limited experience with AR-15's but I've got the Leupold Mark AR 3-9 x 40 with mil-dot reticule and it works great!

Mr. T
December 28, 2009, 03:38 PM
By the way Krochus that's a sweet looking setup you have. What ranges are you shooting at with it?

taliv
December 28, 2009, 03:39 PM
i'm kinda with shadowman on this one... krochus, can you really get custom BDCs under $300 from leupold?? that's amazing

i tried to get their custom shop to make some stuff for me a couple years ago, but they always old me what i wanted wasn't available on the particular model of scope i'd purchased.

R.W.Dale
December 28, 2009, 03:42 PM
i'm kinda with shadowman on this one... krochus, can you really get custom BDCs under $300 from leupold?? that's amazing

i tried to get their custom shop to make some stuff for me a couple years ago, but they always old me what i wanted wasn't available on the particular model of scope i'd purchased.
I went through this awhile back and it appears as though you can even on the vx1 line

here's the link on buying through optics planet
http://www.opticsplanet.net/custom-leupold-vari-x-i-2-7x33mm-rifle-scope-with-matte-black-finish-and-duplex-reticle.html

EDIT there seems to be a large price disparity from opticsplanet and the custom shop page?????? leupold shows $249 for a vx1 2x7x33 with a custom BDC reticle

Smeh
December 28, 2009, 03:44 PM
Here's a rather cruddy photo of my AR setup. And no, the rail is not a UTG. I hate how similar their rail looks to my YHM rail. :barf:

http://i447.photobucket.com/albums/qq192/CaulkSlap/1225091836.jpg

Shadow Man
December 28, 2009, 03:44 PM
Learn something new every day, don't you? I can go home now ;)

matai
December 28, 2009, 03:48 PM
I think in that price range a Bushnell 3200 would be your best bet

Maverick223
December 28, 2009, 03:49 PM
I think in that price range a Bushnell 3200 would be your best betLOL, see the "revised" post no. 7. That is exactly what I concluded. ;)

EdLaver
December 28, 2009, 04:28 PM
And no, the rail is not a UTG.

What's wrong with UTG rails?

highorder
December 28, 2009, 04:31 PM
What's wrong with UTG rails?

At the very least, they are very heavy.

The fact that they are designed for airsoft use is enough to put most people off.

benzy2
December 28, 2009, 04:32 PM
For a BDC, field use, in the $200-$300 range I have one option that sticks out in my mind far and above EVERYTHING else. The Nikon Team Primos 3-9x. It is the older style Nikon Monarch before they went to a 4x erector. Amazing glass at $200 shipped from www.SWFA.com. They are also adding in a camo coat but I have no clue on the quality of that. For $200 I think the Team Primos is the clear cut winner. This scope is on par with Leupold VXIII, Bushnell 4200, (it is the 3x erector Nikon Monarch), Sightron SII Big Sky, etc. If you were to buy an equal scope from one of these other brands you are going to pay at least twice as much(other than for the 4200 3-9x which I think is at the $250 price range).

bratch
December 28, 2009, 04:45 PM
I was going to recommend the Primos as well. I've have one on a SPR build but haven't gotten a chance to shoot it yet.

matrem
December 28, 2009, 04:49 PM
Mr T
I have to ask...
Why are you even considering BDC for .223 at 300yds?

eastbank
December 28, 2009, 05:44 PM
i have a 2 1/2 compact leupold in a quick take off mount on my light weight match target carbine and out to 300yds it is a good 6 inch group shooter. eastbank.

eastbank
December 28, 2009, 06:02 PM
pic,s of my light weight carbine. eastbank.

highorder
December 28, 2009, 06:22 PM
Why are you even considering BDC for .223 at 300yds?

Yeah, 300 yards is just outside point blank range for the .223.

matrem
December 28, 2009, 06:38 PM
Yeah, 300 yards is just outside point blank range for the .223.
Good point... And.
Not even "outside"! if you're familar with that round & its trajectory.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
December 28, 2009, 06:54 PM
Actually I was looking for something that would be adequate to take into the field hunting, but could still do the job when I go to the rifle range. I'm looking to keep costs in the $200 - $300 price range. I would like to find something that has a BDC on it also. Am I asking too much?

You can NOT beat the Nikon Omega 3-9x40mm for your stated purpose, under $300, IMO. You probably cannot beat it under $400. They are usually around $240.

Yes, the BDC is for muzzleloader trajectories, but they'll adapt to centerfire cartridges with a little creativity, due to the circles having multiple intersection points on the vertical crosshair.

The truly-unparalleled eye relief of the Omega makes using the ARs charging handle with them a breeze, when you have a low & forward mount to the scope; this is a real issue with short eye relief scopes, unless you're willing to go sky-high so you can get your fingers under there. I don't like sky-high scopes if there's *any* chance I may need to use it under 40-50 yards, with it's given purpose. For a dedicated long-range gun, it doesn't matter.

However, having said that, if your goal is to "get good groups" at 300 yards, as opposed to "make hits on the man-sized target" at 300 yards, then I recommend a minimum of a 4.5-14 powered scope; preferably a 6-20x. Maybe a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40mm, right at $300 IIRC.

ol' scratch
December 29, 2009, 12:33 AM
I like the Leupold VX-III on my AR. I tried out a number of scopes and the Leupold was brighter and sharper. Leupold also has what I like to call the knuckle head warranty. You could run it over with a truck and they would still fix it.

W.E.G.
December 29, 2009, 01:18 AM
+1 for a mid-grade Leupold.

You'll be spending some dough on a riser too.

I've been a cheapskate on the riser, and have been using the B-Square riser with good success. I'm considering investing in something a bit more stylish.

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/catalog/P1011738.JPG

IndianaBoy
December 29, 2009, 01:19 AM
For 0-300 yards on a rifle that might go hunting?

Well it should start at 1x and probably doesn't need to go beyond 4x. The more I hunt and shoot, the less use I have for excessively high magnification.

The leupold shotgun scope with a custom reticle would do nicely for around 200. Or you could spend a but more and get the excellent trijicon accupoint.

I like my setup:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/gnieman/Acog/Top.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/gnieman/Acog/out_zoom_cont.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/gnieman/Acog/Outdoor_reticle2.jpg

In this picture you can see my BDC taped to my stock. :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/gnieman/101_8398Large.jpg

kwelz
December 29, 2009, 01:39 AM
ACOG

Mr. T
December 29, 2009, 12:21 PM
Matrem,

I am looking into the BDC, because I wish to use the setup for hunting. I know that the round does not drop that much in 300 yards, but I will be shooting at smaller objects such as fox, coyotes, and possibly feral pigs. Fox are a fairly small animal and you need to be precise at distance, if you hope to get them. I will also have my daughter possibly using the gun for deer hunting next year and I would like to have the weapon setup as a tack driver. Using a caliber that small on Whitetail will require accurate shot placement and I want her to be as accurate as possible.

Mr. T
December 29, 2009, 01:38 PM
Thanks for your input everyone!

[Pb]
December 29, 2009, 02:20 PM
I have a Bushnell 3200 3-12power scope with three MOA hash marks for BDC. It works well at 300 yards and it cost me around $260.

SGR
December 29, 2009, 05:20 PM
Nikon Buckmaster 4.5 to 14 with BDC for about $300. Have one on my AR and love it.

AKElroy
December 29, 2009, 05:37 PM

Nikon Prostaff 3X9X40; w/ BDC. Unless you are going into battle with this rifle, why not put a purpose built, high quality hunting / general use optic on it? I just ordered my second w/ BDC; found it on ebay for $149.00 NIB, free shipping & no tax. You will pay $169.00 retail for it, so it is in your range.

I bought mine for an AK! maybe I will actually shoot it now---

If you enjoyed reading about "What's the best scope for an AR" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!