Oiling the Bolt of a Rimfire

PDA

dak0ta
December 28, 2009, 05:07 PM
Hi,

In my Marlin 925 manual, it says to periodically put some oil on the bolt in specific locations. Out of the box, there's some white/yellow kind of grease that has been sprayed onto the bolt. Should I wipe off the excess? Also, when should I regrease/re-oil these parts? What kind of grease/oil do I use? Can I just spray Breakfree CLP or G96 gun oil into it?

If you enjoyed reading about "Oiling the Bolt of a Rimfire" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dagger dog
December 28, 2009, 05:22 PM
That white yellow grease is probably LUBRI-PLATE but if it is on that thick it is to much in my opinion. I apply it to the sliding surfaces with a small paint brush the "burnish" with my finger or a Q-TIP to remove the excess. The oil is used on pivoting parts, trigger pins ,things that rotate, and for rust prevention.

dak0ta
December 28, 2009, 05:26 PM
Do I need special lubricating oil? Or regular gun oil like Rem Oil, CLP, or G96, Hoppes works?

dagger dog
December 28, 2009, 05:44 PM
In reading a recent article I read that automatic transmissin fluid was one of the better lubricating "oils" for firearms, DEXRON III to be specific. But CLP has worked well for me and the Hoppes also, I have REM-OIL also but it has been at the bottom of most lists.

I'm going to delete my supplys and start with the DEXRON.

SlamFire1
December 28, 2009, 05:46 PM
I make sure to lubricate the cocking cam area of a bolt rifle. This is one of the areas with the highest contact pressures.

Does not hurt to rub an oily patch over the bolt and around the locking lug. I have used 5W-30 Mobil 1 for decades.

You will find that automotive lubricants, or outboard motor grease, (usually a white lithium based grease) are outstanding lubricants and much more cost effective than gun brand greases.

I suspect gun lubricants are simply repacked industrial or automotive lubricants. Millions are spent each year on automotive lubrication research, about 3 cents a year on gun oils/greases.

That said, NECO Moly-Slide is an excellent moly grease. http://www.neconos.com/details.htm And so is Loctite Moly Paste.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41rRbKBQrdL._SS500_.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Oiling the Bolt of a Rimfire" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!