Disabled MD man denied CCW -- Good Kath. K. Townsend Quote

PDA

CZ-75
January 20, 2003, 03:18 PM
http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewNation.asp?Page=\Nation\archive\200301\NAT20030120a.html

Let the invective fly. I, personally, set a new record for compound Anglo-Saxon adjectives. :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Disabled MD man denied CCW -- Good Kath. K. Townsend Quote" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
denfoote
January 20, 2003, 03:27 PM
:cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

Blackhawk
January 20, 2003, 03:53 PM
Maryland's setting a new low: Police in Maryland require that concealed handgun permit applicants who seek the permit for personal protection provide "documented evidence of recent threats and/or assaults, supported by police reports and/or notarized statements."
IOW, you qualify for a CCW only if you've proven you don't need one by surviving some incidents where you really needed one.... :cuss:

Then there's the twit:"It is disturbing that some of our disabled citizens fear they will be attacked because of their disability if they leave their homes," Townsend wrote. "But I also agree with Senator Miller that allowing these same citizens to carry concealed weapons simply because they are disabled is not the answer to the problem." A 105# woman is definitely "less abled" than a 200# attaacker.

Is it the water? What's in the water in Maryland? Maybe it should be checked for lead and mercury.... :rolleyes:

Peetmoss
January 20, 2003, 03:54 PM
I have a simple solution to this problem. Assign him a cop 24/7. If they wont' let him protect himself they need to protect him. If that was me and something did happen. I would sue the state of Maryland. If one can get paid for spilling coffee in there lap why not for having your life put in jeapordy by the state.

Hell maybe they should sue now. I hope the GOA has this guys back.

F=ma
January 20, 2003, 04:15 PM
provide documented evidence of recent threats....and/or notarized statements

Ha! I'll be sure my wife keeps her notary stamp handy the next time she's confronted by a mugger...."Before stabbing me sign here, please, and I'll need to see a picture ID".

We are prohibited from carrying effective tools for our own defense, and yet the State can't be held liable if I'm attacked. Is my life worth so little to MD politicians?!

Triad
January 20, 2003, 04:30 PM
Is my life worth so little to MD politicians?!
You really have to ask?:cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

chaim
What's worse is that even with "documented" evidence of threats and police reports you still probably won't get your permit. People with restraining orders against stalkers and who have been assulted more than once get turned down. The only reason the state board will give you a CCW is if you are a business owner who regularly carries valuables (gun store owners and managers while transporting goods to and from gun shows, jewelry store owners) or cash and then you get one that has tons of limitations so you can only use it for work purposes (i.e. the state will trust you with a gun on the way to the bank to make your deposit but not to take your gun with you when you go out to dinner downtown at Little Italy even though it borders some of the worst crime areas in Baltimore).

This quote here gives you a great insight into the mindset here (the stress is mine):CNSNews.com asked Maryland Assistant Attorney General Mark Bowen, who works with the state police, to explain the criteria to meet the requirement that a citizen have a "good and substantial reason" to obtain a concealed handgun permit.

"To the best of my knowledge, there aren't any," Bowen said. :cuss: :fire: :banghead:

Again, in case you didn't get it, in MD CCW is only to protect property- how dare you think you have a right to protect yourself or family! :fire: :banghead:

cpileri
"No good reason"
According the the MSP, no one has a good reason.
As a transplanted, adopted texan, I agree: must be something in the water out here.
There is frankly no other explaination for this state.
C-

RAY WOODROW 3RD
January 20, 2003, 04:50 PM
It's the same way in NJ. For some reason I thought Maryland was a better gun state than NJ.................. Guess I was wrong.................It must be the water on the east coast coming out of NYC and contaminating the coastline.:scrutiny:

chaim
January 20, 2003, 04:57 PM
Ray,

In some ways we're a bit better. Theoretically it is possible to get CCW, though that is no good if there is no way to get one in practice. There are few restrictions on long guns and Class III is legal. We don't yet require licensing or registration.

In some ways we are worse. With the built-in lock law we are down to six handgun makes (not all of which make all of their models available) that we can buy new here now. The ballistic fingerprinting (shell casing law) already had several makers banned and now this makes most of them.

In many ways it is a wash. We have a safety course (actually a video) and a card we must have to buy handguns and some long guns ("assult rifles"). We have a 7 day waiting period for handguns. We have a state police background check plus the federal instant check (oh yeah, while we officially don't have registration the state police do keep the paperwork from their background check which includes make, model and serial number of the gun- they get away with it because it isn't registration because they only know that you applied to buy the gun, you may have changed your mind and not bought it:rolleyes: ). There's more but I'm getting a headache thinking about it and don't want to worry about it right now.

Mal H
January 20, 2003, 05:03 PM
Well Ray, we in VA get some of the same water and we share a border with Maryland as does PA and neither state is in the state MD is. I guess MD is an idiot sandwich - idiot politicians between two slices of sanity and logic. It's the citizens of that communist state (and yours) who are suffering. The politicians just know in their hearts that they are doing the right thing and protecting their lowly subjects.

Standing Wolf
January 20, 2003, 06:02 PM
You couldn't pay me to live in the People's Republic of Maryland.

bbrins
January 20, 2003, 06:14 PM
Is it the water? What's in the water in Maryland?

It's from all of the outhouses on "The Outhouse Side of the Bay" draining into the groundwater and from there it seeps into the Bay. Yes, I'm qualified to poke fun at the Eastern Shore, that's where I'm origionally from.

I'm thinking about applying for one, part of my job is shutting off people's water when they don't pay their bill, and I have had two people threaten me with a gun. My boss already said that if I can get a permit, I can carry at work. Still probably not a good enough reason though, especiall considering that I never reported it to anyone but my boss.

Kharn
January 20, 2003, 06:56 PM
Mark Bowen (Assistant AG) is CC'ed copies of all of the MSP responses to my information requests. His statement is more evidence that the entire process is rotten. I'll ask that they define "good and substantial reason" in my next info request.

I wish Mr. Sullivan the best, and hope he gets his permit, but the odds arent looking very good. An average of 28 people appeal their denials a year, and an average of 10 appealing applicants per year are granted a permit.
As always, read about my fight for CCW in MD here: www.chesapeake.net/~mcfadden/ccw

Kharn

Cliff
January 20, 2003, 06:57 PM
You couldn't pay me to live in the People's Republic of Maryland.

I respect what your saying,and yeah, the laws here in Maryland piss me off to the highest levels of pisstivity,:cuss: :banghead: But those of us who have decided to stay,and yes,I've thought about moving to VA,just didn't want to deal with the traffic,:( do so for the most part to work from the inside and talk,hound,
harass,lobby,vote,anything possible to get the laws changed in this state,and change the perception of people regarding firearms in general.I choose to stay in Maryland,but I also choose not to be meek and mild about my support for pro-gun issues. I vote and let it be known I'm pro-gun,and will talk to anybody willing to listen,and believe me,I got some stories to tell regarding the attitudes that people have toward guns and those of us who enjoy shooting. Just like we all do.

I live in Prince Georges county just outside of the District. 95% liberal,extremly anti-gun,but with one of the highest crime rates in the area.Not like my home state of Texas.So am I fighting a loosing RKBA battle living here?Not at all. I just take on the added responsibility of trying to know my facts when I engage a anti who for the most part will be trying to talk me down,and talk down to me by using a lot of emotional riteric. And you know what? It pisses them off just about everytime cause I will not join them in their shouting. I rather enjoy it,because that person or persons will go tell someone else,and that very well will give people a pause to think about why I am a pro-gun supporter in Maryland, and say & do the things I do.

If I could, I'd like to meet that disabled gentleman,and shake his hand,if for no other reason then to let him know he has my respect and support,and for me to know I have his,as I know I do from all of you.
Plus I like it here in Maryland,I deal with the winters,but in the spring and summer when its hot,a table full of crabs,cold beer:D ....oops sorry.

rant off

HadEmAll
January 20, 2003, 07:33 PM
The elitest mentality of many politicians is the danger we face continually. When the Texas Concealed Handgun Act was making its way through the Texas legislature in 1993 or 4, then governor Ann Richards promised to veto it if it passed the house and senate saying" People will shoot themselves". That was enough to squash it. It finally came about during President Bush's term as governor. And it ONLY made it through the legislature due to the impassioned speaking efforts of Suzanne Gracia (sp?) who saw both her father, then mother killed in the Killeen, Texas Luby masscre. So it took an incident where 23 or so ordinary citizens were killed due to being helpless and and at the mercy of a madman PLUS the well-spoken pleas of a survivor to get it done here. The rights of you as an individual mean little to government. THEY feel themselves at another, higher plateau than the huddled masses. What can you do?

Trisha
January 20, 2003, 07:38 PM
Let Maryland Assistant Attorney General Mark Bowen wear leg braces and use canes for a month (along with, say public transportation and foodstamps), dress out of thrift shops - and then see if his perspective changes...

Not to stereotype the disabled, but let's give him a taste of reality (maybe even novicane one side of his mouth before going outside) known by (to some degree) those of us who live it. If he gets pounded (if he's lucky, that's all he'd face), I'd love to see him trying to get his "public servants" to listen to him!

The politicians seem to have some conviction of an esoteric superiority unique to them, and them alone...

It must be a result of having bodyguards.

Trisha

Robby from Long Island
January 20, 2003, 07:47 PM
Well, being a subject here in New York State (The armpit of America) I can well understand the feeling of many law-abiding citizens of Maryland as well as Jersey.

It's good to know there are some great states on the east coast of America. I am referring to Pennsylvania and Virginia. Am planning on retiring soon and one of them is going to be my future home.

BTW, just because some of us live in NY, NJ or MD, don't think we haven't engaged in many battles to get things done on behalf of law-abiding gun owners. Problem is we're badly outnumbered by the usual gutless wonder liberals who have saturated the area over the last few decades.

Can't wait until I'm outta here.

Safe shooting.

RAY WOODROW 3RD
January 20, 2003, 08:16 PM
:fire:Damn right Robby and we will keep on fighting!:fire:

garrettwc
January 20, 2003, 11:43 PM
OK, maybe I'm reaching here, but I would love to see this guy take Townsends quote and throw it back in her face with a lawsuit under the "American's With Disablities Act".

larry_minn
January 21, 2003, 02:47 AM
If it were not against the law there should be evidence of a danger to him. But can't do that.
I was stuck in wheel chair for almost 6 months and two crutches then a cane after that. I was DARN GLAD I could carry. I went in to renew my permit about a month after I left hospital. I did NOT go out in public very often but I did have some folks try to take advantage of me but in a non violent way. One did hint at the fact that he could dump me on ground and take the chair. He didn't realize that he wouldn't have made it very far. (Think MN in late Jan well below zero I felt deadly force was a option for person recovering from major injury) I also got ran into (rear ended on ice in MLPS) Made me feel good when IDIOT who complained that I stopped for stop sign and ran into me ranted. Granted I would have driven off that S&W kept me feeling comfortable.

4570Rick
January 21, 2003, 04:14 AM
I have family in MD and their not happy with the elitest <Illegitimate offspring>, but their no worse than here in The Peoples Republic of **********. In my perfect world, these sub-humans would be removed from any position of power, tattooed on their foreheads with a large E B so people of self determination could shun them. :fire:
In reality, go to City Council meatings, County Supervisor Meatings, Planing Commision hearings, when posible, meat with your elected reps, and POINT OUT ELITISM AT EVERY OPPERTUNITY. Write letters to the editor and point out the arrogance of these (We know better then you how you should live your life) self-serving, self-important, Caesars.

By the way, if NY is the armpit of America, does that mean ********** is where the enima tube goes

<Rant off>

Sisco
January 21, 2003, 08:45 AM
Assign him a cop 24/7.
Common misconception.
The primary job of the police is not to protect individuals from harm.
The primary task is to arrest the person responsible for doing harm to another.

If you enjoyed reading about "Disabled MD man denied CCW -- Good Kath. K. Townsend Quote" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!