m-48 vs 98k

PDA

Dr.Mall Ninja
December 29, 2009, 01:08 PM
How do tell the difference in the two models of mauser? I was once going to buy a mauser from Mitchell's then i read all the horrible things on the interwebs about them being just overpriced m48's, now I been looking at mausers in person how can i tell the two apart?

If you enjoyed reading about "m-48 vs 98k" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BHP FAN
December 29, 2009, 01:12 PM
the M48 doesn't have the ''scallop'' in the stock for the bolt handle,at least on the one I had.

jimmyraythomason
December 29, 2009, 01:19 PM
Every M-48 I ever saw had "M-48" stamped on the receiver ring. If you can measure the distance between the action screws,the M-48 is 7.620" between where the 98K is 7.835" between.

Olympus
December 29, 2009, 01:37 PM
Easiest way will be to look at the crest on the top of the receiver. Yugos will say M48, M48A, M48B, etc.

Mr_Pale_Horse
December 29, 2009, 01:48 PM
Handguard: Full length on an M48, ends at rear sight on a K98k

Receiver Ring: Yugo crest on top of M48 receiver, factory code and year of manufacture on K98k.

The Mitchell K98k's Germans are really K98k's. Their downfall is that they have been refinished and pieced together (in some cases) and remarked (in some cases).

Heck, the M48's and M24/47 are 'real', just refinished, over sold as collectors items, and overpriced.

Brimic
December 29, 2009, 01:51 PM
Lots of differences...

-Handguard goes all the way back to the receiver on the M48- it stops at the receiver on the K98.
-K98s (except late and post war models) have a bolt takedown 'donut' in the stock, the ones that don't have a holes drilled in the buttplate to do the same job.
-The extractor notch is part of the receiver on a K98, on a M48 its milled into the end of the barrel- similar to a '03 springfield or Winchester model 70, but without the coned breach.
-The receiver and bolt on a M48 is 1/4" shorter than a K98 receiver.

Mr_Pale_Horse
December 29, 2009, 02:39 PM
The extractor notch is part of the receiver on a K98, on a M48 its milled into the end of the barrel- similar to a '03 springfield or Winchester model 70, but without the coned breach.
Adding to what Brimic said, the bolt on the K98 will have two small extended tabs on the side with the ejector slot, which the M48 will lack due to the extractor notch Brimic noted (this is called a safety breached action (Yugos and some Czechs (a few others) are safety breeched; German and most other 98's are not).

You will be able to see this most easily with the bolt removed.

If you enjoyed reading about "m-48 vs 98k" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!