223 1/7 twist what weight bullet?

PDA

Victor1Echo
December 29, 2009, 07:12 PM
I have a twenty inch colt sporter 1/7 twist 5.56 nato barrel. I am going to start reloading for this next week. Been doing research, but i don't know what bullet would be the most accurate. Do I go up to 90? What's a good bullet for starting reloading, and to be used to puch paper--out to three hundred meters or so.

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "223 1/7 twist what weight bullet?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ol` Joe
December 29, 2009, 10:37 PM
Your rifle will handle all bullet wgts, it`s up to you to try and figure out which it will shoot best.
My SWAG is the 55 and up grain weights will do best but, I`ve been wrong too many times to bet on it.

sgte5
December 29, 2009, 10:57 PM
With the 1-7 twist you will probably want to go with a heavier bullet. I have used the 55 gr sp and have had them fall apart with my 1-7 twist. I have been using 68 gr and heavier and not had a problem. The heavier bullet will be more stable.

W.E.G.
December 29, 2009, 11:09 PM
Many 55-grain bullets are not great quality.
My experience has shown that poor-quality 55-grain bullets are at their worst when fired in fast-twist barrels.

Test your barrel to find out what it likes.
And, whatever you do, use HIGH QUALITY bullets for your testing.
Even then, I had an experience with 52-grain Sierra Matchking bullets in a Colt HBAR 1/7 barrel where those bullets were absolutely WILD at 100 yards. They were literally MISSING a 24"x24" backer, and when they did hit the backer, the bullethole was the worst keyhole you ever saw.

A 1/7 should handle magazine-length-loaded 77-grain bullets with very good accuracy.
I really like the Black Hills ammo loaded with the Hornady 77-grains fired from my AR with the Krieger 1/7 stainless barrel.

I've had excellent results too with the Sierra Matchking 69-grain bullets loaded to magazine-length.

Also, I've had excellent results with the Sierra Matchking 80-grain bullets loaded to longer than magazine length, and just touching the rifling for single-feed fire.

Jim Watson
December 29, 2009, 11:12 PM
The 7 inch twist is what the Army settled on to stabilize the very long SS110/M856 tracer bullet, is ample for the SS109/M855 hardball, but still lets them use M193 55 gr hardball that might still be in inventory.
The twist will likely stabilize anything on up to a 90 grain match bullet BUT most of the extra heavies like 75, 80, and 90 are meant to be loaded longer than the magazine will take for slowfire target shooting. If you want semiauto, look to the 68, 69, and 77 grain bullets.

RP86
December 30, 2009, 01:24 AM
I don't have much experience with .223, but I read the post in the link below the other night and found it interesting. There is also a calculation/formula in the book "The ABC's of Reloading" that tells you how to calculate the exact bullet you desire based on twist or given you twist to find the exact bullet you should desire. Hope this helps.

http://mscg.yuku.com/topic/1409/t/AR15-barrel-twist-rates-which-is-best.html?page=1

ArchAngelCD
December 30, 2009, 01:52 AM
a 1/7 twist in a .223 is a fairly fast rate and will stabilize heavier bullets than the 1/12 twist rate in my barrel. I'm limited to ~60gr/62gr bullets but I don't load anything over 55gr. Your barrel on the other hand will probably stabilize bullets up to 77gr and possible heavier if they aren't too long. (like the others have said above)

madd0c
December 30, 2009, 02:34 AM
My .223 is a 1-7" 16"barrel and it seems to LOVE 69 gr bullets. 62 do ok, but sub MOA with 69gr.
madd0c

If you enjoyed reading about "223 1/7 twist what weight bullet?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!