Threaded Krag Barrel?

PDA

jonnyc
December 29, 2009, 09:09 PM
Why would the end on a .30-40 Krag Carbine barrel be threaded? I can think of one or two reasons, but none of them are real good. Any thoughts?

If you enjoyed reading about "Threaded Krag Barrel?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
briansmithwins
December 29, 2009, 09:11 PM
Flash hider or suppressor, I'd guess.

BSW

jonnyc
December 29, 2009, 10:40 PM
I thought of those, but discounted them as not too likely, but possible. My top thought was some kind of cleaning fixture.

Shadow Man
December 29, 2009, 11:07 PM
Early Maxim surpressors would be my guess. I know they were used on Springfield M1903's, but the technology had been around for a little before that. Or, the Krag could have been threaded later on...if it was of Finnish manufacture, I know the Finn's are big on using surpressors while hunting, target shooting, etc. to reduce noise polution.

Jim Watson
December 29, 2009, 11:34 PM
I have to go with the Maxim Silencer; which came out in 1909 while there were plenty of Krags still in use.

jonnyc
December 29, 2009, 11:40 PM
OK, I just did a bit of reading...and I have to agree. I apologize for doubting. Where would one find an "old school" Maxim Silencer? I would assume even an old 1909 model would still need the tax stamp, correct?

If you enjoyed reading about "Threaded Krag Barrel?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!