Sell the P99? Or keep for later?

PDA

holycrikey
December 31, 2009, 12:28 AM
Hey all,

I've got a 2006 P99AS with 3 magazines. It was not only my first firearm that I bought when I turned 21, but I am the only owner on it. I've placed a couple thousand rounds through it at this point. However, I've begun to get tired of it. I had also bought a Taurus PT1911 awhile ago and then sold it after a few months to pay some college bills. I highly regret the decision, as I never shot better groupings than with that 1911. I've also shot both a S&W M+P in 9mm and a Springfield XD tactical in .45. Both were just fantastic.

However, I'm not sure what I should be asking for in regards to price for sale or in terms of trade expectations. I see that new P99AS's are selling for around $620-650. Would it be unreasonable to ask a local gun shop to do a straight trade for a new M+P or XD (9mm)?

It's weird, but I do have a bit of emotional attachment to it. It was my first handgun purchase and has been reliable. I'm still in graduate school, so simply sucking it up and buying a new firearm while retaining my P99 is a bit out of the question.

Thoughts?

If you enjoyed reading about "Sell the P99? Or keep for later?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
nalioth
December 31, 2009, 12:34 AM
There aren't very many pistols better than the P99.

dec41971
December 31, 2009, 12:38 AM
I don't and have never had a P99, but got its much sleeker brother the PPS. How about a PPS in 9mm? Its fantastic IMO. Yeah I have other guns 4 different types, and my favorite is the Kimber Ultra Covert II .45 1911. But its not a cheap gun by any measure. If I were you, I'd go with a PPS, cant go wrong.

NG VI
December 31, 2009, 12:39 AM
How bout just putting off your next firearm for a bit? I have regretted selling every time.

Starcheck55
December 31, 2009, 04:20 AM
don't sell your first gun...in 20 years you'll wish you still had it.

docnyt
December 31, 2009, 04:34 AM
I agree. Don't sell your first gun. You can always get another one.

Cactus Jack Arizona
December 31, 2009, 05:22 AM
Since you have shot so many rounds through it, you probably won't get that much for it, certainly nowhere near the price of a new one. In my opinion, a man's first firearm should never be sold. More likely than not, you would end up regretting your decision to get rid of it, especially if what you trade it for does not offer the same comfortable feel and reliability when shooting.

Remember, you can always buy other guns, but you will only have one first gun. Keep it. Put it away for a while if need be, but keep it. Years later, you will be glad you kept it. ;)

I know I will never part with my first pistol. :)

WhoKnowsWho
December 31, 2009, 06:25 AM
Keep it. Sure, you could buy another like it in the future, but most likely not the exact same one. Put it away for a little while, then when you try it out again, it will feel like an old friend.

possum
December 31, 2009, 06:57 AM
the p99 is a great handgun for sure. I say hold on to it, you know it works. i personally regret selling almost every gun that i have sold.

Jed Carter
December 31, 2009, 09:53 AM
Sell it to me! Actually you sould keep it, it is in a class of its own the XD and M&P don't come close, IMHO, try the thumbs forward grip, look on youtube it will improve anyone's shooting. Great pistol mags and accessories may be a little more difficult to come by. I too grew weary of shooting 9mm, now it is my favorite thanks to SIG, Glock and CZ, I do not own the P99 but have shot one that a good friend owns and I really think it feels and shoots better than most pistols. Keep it!

steveracer
December 31, 2009, 11:20 AM
I have regretted almost every sold gun. I would go back in time and just wait until I had more money.
The P99 is pretty awesome. We have the S&W version at home, and I love that thing.
The only polymer gun I liked at all for a long time.

SharpsDressedMan
December 31, 2009, 12:06 PM
I see you are in NC. NC is silencer friendly. Another reason to keep you P99. http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m247/matquig/DSC05501.jpg

Shipwreck
December 31, 2009, 12:51 PM
You will not get but 1/2 the value on a trade from a gun shop - if you really want to sell it - sell it yourself, and then use the money for a new gun. But, I would keep it if I were you

searcher451
December 31, 2009, 01:27 PM
Selling a gun of any kind is generally a bad idea; some day, somewhere along the line, you will regret it and spend the better part of a decade kicking yourself ... until or unless you replace the gun in question, and generally at far more money than you either originally paid or that you got for it when you sold it.

In addition, selling a Walther of any kind is always a bad idea, IMO. Selling a P99 with the AS trigger configuration just doesn't compute ... unless you have two of them, of course.

MAKster
December 31, 2009, 02:22 PM
I've seen used Walther P99s selling for around $450.

Runningman
December 31, 2009, 03:18 PM
Would it be unreasonable to ask a local gun shop to do a straight trade for a new M+P or XD (9mm)? Most dealers are only going to give you about 50% of what they would sell a new one for. Even less if it shows lots of wear.

holycrikey
December 31, 2009, 05:02 PM
Welp, you guys convinced me. I'll hold onto it for now and wait until more money comes in to expand back to the 1911 that I so miss.

I actually did go back to the regular back grip and shot a lot better. I had the largest one on for the past six months or so and it may have been messing up my grip a bit.

Thanks a lot for the input everyone!

If you enjoyed reading about "Sell the P99? Or keep for later?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!