Stovepipes in BAR

PDA

hometheaterman
December 30, 2009, 11:37 PM
So I have a Browning BAR 30-06. An older model one not the newer ones. I've shot several hundred rounds through it and never had a jam I can remember up until this year. I think I've shot 40 rounds or so through it and had 3 stove pipes this year. The other couple hundred rounds before this I never had one. Is there something I need to clean? So far I've just cleaned the barrel and what I can get to without taking it too much apart however, it looks pretty clean.

I also switched to the cheaper Federal Power Shok ammo so maybe this matters. I was shooting Winchesters and Federal Fusions before.

If you enjoyed reading about "Stovepipes in BAR" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dogrunner
December 31, 2009, 12:04 AM
There's basically three variations on the piston arrangement in BARs.

I own both the 2nd and 3rd models and in the case of the earlier one (a 1976 '06) the piston is designed with a vented plug that allows one to drop the piston from its chamber for cleaning. The 3rd variation has a self venting piston arrangement and the plug isn't vented in either my new model '06 or .338, further, the 3rd model is fitted with an adjustable gas screw to regulate same....I would NOT suggest you loosen it if that's the model you have.

The first and second models are a bit more straightforward and are not at all difficult to clean. I would suggest you obtain a manual (believe you can download it) from Browning. If you try it without the manual, remove the plug and see if the piston will drop out the front of it's own accord...if not you'll have to help it by lightly forcing it from rear to front with a non marring tool that just fits the piston in the space between the housing and the guide rod....might help to assist it with a short soak with Hoppes or Kroil.....if the older model, then use a pipe cleaner to thoroughly clean the gas bleed off hole in the bbl....you won't be able to do that with the 3 model tho because of the screw arrangement. Clean the chamber & piston plus the plug vent hole & re install........not nearly as complicated as I made it sound.

If you enjoyed reading about "Stovepipes in BAR" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!