Is it legal to shoot guns at night?

PDA

ineedmoney
December 31, 2009, 02:14 PM
i live in north carolina, in the country and no iam not shooting in the air iam going to shoot the ground if its legal. could they take my guns if i did?

you would think there would be something that what come up on goggle but nope.... well it might i just tired of wasting time

If you enjoyed reading about "Is it legal to shoot guns at night?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
December 31, 2009, 02:21 PM
Legal or not, shooting into the air or the ground to celebrate New Years is a real bad idea!

Cheap fireworks is far safer.

I had a friend who shot his 8mm Mauser into the ground several times one New Years Eve.
The bullets ricocheted off the frozen ground and put three holes through his $20,000 bass boat!

rc

ineedmoney
December 31, 2009, 02:40 PM
damn....but i dont have a $20000 boat just a $2000 truck.....as far as i kno i have never had one ricochet of the ground. i dont think it gets that cold here.everytime i shoot i use the ground as my backstop

well what if i use blanks is it legal?

SSN Vet
December 31, 2009, 02:42 PM
I'd think a shotgun with bird shot fired into the air at a very steep angle (>60 deg) should be safe. My father's best friend has been doing it in a residential area for 30+ years and no mishaps yet.

SSN Vet
December 31, 2009, 02:43 PM
legal is a question most likely determined by your local codes and regs.

example: where I live, I can't discharge a high power centerfire cartridge .... period, not even while hunting. But shotguns, .22s and handguns are O.K.

call the local PD, Sheriff, or State Police and ask them....

edSky
December 31, 2009, 02:44 PM
I dunno, I prefer the fireworks. More "Ooohs!" and "Ahhhs".

CoRoMo
December 31, 2009, 02:45 PM
Find out if it is legal to hunt after dark. That'll be your answer.

I've heard that you can hunt at night in Texas, and I know of people that use night vision optics and spotlights to hunt hogs, skunks, coyotes, etc. down there.

Shovelhead
December 31, 2009, 02:54 PM
IMHO, Those that discharge firearms at midnight to 'celebrate' the New Year just provide ammunition for the "anti"s.

ozarkgunner
December 31, 2009, 02:57 PM
Pretty sure you can hunt at night in Missouri, and shoot. Have gone coyote hunting at night with lights, and thats legal. And I've been to planty of late nite parties where there has been gun fire, targets and all. I know firing into the air is illegal. I know of a guy that fired a "warning" shot into the air. Cops showed and ticketed him. Cops said wouldn't have been a problem if he fired at ground.
And I fire at night to get rid of skunks and possums, and such around my house, and I'm in the county just out side of city limits.

ineedmoney
December 31, 2009, 02:58 PM
that wasnt a gunshot it was fireworks!!

i know people hunt racoons around here at night, but there is a season for it and i dont when when it is. i have been coon hunting once when i was like 15 and both the dogs we was using got hit by cars. one of the dogs was young but a really good coon dog someone offered the guy like $2500 for the dog and he didnt sell him then a week later he got he by the car.... it sucked a**

CoRoMo
December 31, 2009, 03:02 PM
IMHO, Those that discharge firearms at midnight to 'celebrate' the New Year just provide expend ammunition...

This is what first came to mind. :neener:

ineedmoney
December 31, 2009, 03:10 PM
people do it every year around here, i remember a few years ago i had my window open listening to all the guns shots, there was one gun that sounded like a gatling gun or something

tju1973
December 31, 2009, 03:28 PM
Emphasis on the word "yet". Never shoot anywhere that is not safe where the rounds end up-- If it goes up, it has to come down. While #8 shot probably wouldn't hurt or kill anyone, I wouldn't do it...just use blanks or fireworks...if legal in your area of course.

Grassman
December 31, 2009, 03:32 PM
Pretty sure hunting coyotes and varmints at night is legal. If the ground ain't frozen, blast away.

rcmodel
December 31, 2009, 03:38 PM
people do it every year around here,People do it all over the country every new years.

And somebody dies every new years from a bullet fired from a mile away.

I repeat, it is a bad idea!

Unless you live in the exact middle of a 10,000 acre ranch in Nevada or something.

You can't see what's out there past your little circle of light at night.

rc

CoRoMo
December 31, 2009, 03:48 PM
I think Colorado doesn't allow any hunting after dark at all, but I don't really know. I can't imagine that "shooting" is even prohibited, but I don't really know.

Haven't done either lately.

IMO, shooting into the air is just plain stupid, and shooting down into the ground is also foolish.
If you can't get through the evening without pulling the trigger on a live round, find a good backstop to catch the bullet from a safe distance.

PTK
December 31, 2009, 04:03 PM
Bucket of sand, folks. Five gallon bucket of sand.

eddism
December 31, 2009, 04:08 PM
May want to think real hard about it. "Wanton" use of force is a serious offense and will get you jail time. So be very careful because each bullet has an attorney's name on it.

ozarkgunner
December 31, 2009, 04:25 PM
While I have seen it done, and done it my self a few times, I don't do it any more or recomend it. I don't recomend shotguns either, with any load or angle. I was dove hunting one year, my first, and was in a line of hunters, most from out of state, on opening day. It was an empty field between some orange groves, outside Yuma, AZ. The out of staters were all in cars, rental or personal, so that was about as far as they could get out of town. My budies and I decided to check the spot out before moving on. After small group of doves flew over, and what must have been 100 or so shots from the 50 or so guys out there, maybe more, I could hear bird shot raining down on the vehicles near by. And then as I was looking to our right, some one down the line to our left, took one last shot, and since it was a fairly descent morning, I only had a simple Tshirt on, I got hit square in the back by a couple of bird shot. I didn't see who it was, other wise there would have been another victim of a "hunting accident".
So, even bird shot at a distance, or falling, can be an issue.

Justin
December 31, 2009, 04:30 PM
Celebratory gunfire is something that only idiots and 3rd world primitives engage in.

If you enjoyed reading about "Is it legal to shoot guns at night?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!