6.5 Grendel former owners

PDA

ronaldo615
January 1, 2010, 05:06 PM
Anyone here owned a 6.5 Grendel and gotten rid of it? I have an upper for an AR that I aquired in a trade and before I go through the trouble of getting dies, etc. I wanted some feed back from someone that was a former owner.

I would be using it for deer or hogs and will never shoot over 200 yards. I already own a 7.62 by 39 upper.

If you owned one and let it go, I would be interested in why.

If you enjoyed reading about "6.5 Grendel former owners" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
RockyMtnTactical
January 1, 2010, 05:12 PM
What about people who own them and didn't want to get rid of them??

Juice Boxes
January 1, 2010, 05:38 PM
What about people who own them and didn't want to get rid of them??

Ohh my gosh you cracked the code!

RockyMtnTactical
January 1, 2010, 05:43 PM
Ohh my gosh you cracked the code!

Haha, I wonder how many responses he will get to this.

janobles14
January 1, 2010, 06:13 PM
can i just say that if you do decide to get rid of it you keep me in mind? been eyeballing one and might buy it from you.

TIMC
January 1, 2010, 07:35 PM
Everyone I know that has one loves it. The big draw backs are high priced hard to get ammo and brass. I am hoping this will change now that Hornady is going to produce brass and ammo for it.
I should have my Grendel in the next 4-5 days, it's on a big brown goodie truck on it's way here.

iamkris
January 1, 2010, 09:23 PM
I will sign up on the "once owned it and got rid of it". My experiences were 3 years ago.

I like the 6.5 G for its superior ballistics for CQB combined with the ability to go long range...add the fact that most people said it has amazing accuracy had me sold. I had 2 uppers...an 18" SPR upper with an Alexander Arms barrel that I built using top quality parts (I've now built 5 ARs from scratch parts) and an AA Overwatch 24" upper.

The Overwatch upper is the middle rifle...I don't have a pic of the SPR I built.

http://i38.tinypic.com/vdo17q.jpg

AA was a real pain in the butt to work with. Long shipping times, no response when I would contact them. Once I got both the uppers up and running, I tried AA ammo, Wolf Gold and my own handloads (I've been reloading for over 20 years and reload for 19 different calibers.) Best accuracy I ever got was about 1.5 MOA but most loads were in the 2-3 MOA. Components (mainly brass) were hard to get. Wolf Gold was crap for brass...would not reload well, split, buldged.

Finally I just got disgusted. I realized if I wanted long range, I already had a 7.62x51mm in other battle rifles and if I really wanted an AR platform I'd go with a .260 Rem or 6.5 Creedmore. For more punch under 300 yards, the 6.8 SPC does everything that the Grendel does with better availability of components and gun parts. Plus you don't have to deal with AA.

I built a 6.8 upper and have never looked back. I easily get 1-1.5 MOA with my "junk" loads and match ammo does better.

http://i31.tinypic.com/2r26gbo.jpg

6.5G is fine for some people and I'm sure my experiences were 1 in a million. That said, I found that there were better solutions for what I wanted elsewhere.

madd trapper
January 1, 2010, 09:53 PM
I don't have a 6.5 grendel . But I do have a 6.5 swed , 6.5 carcano and 6.5- 06.After reviewing the ballistics of 6.5 grendel it can be compared to a 6.5 carcano round. In an AR platform the longer barrel for 6.5 grendel would add more weight to carry. Unless someone is shooting at paper targets past 500 yards the 6.5 grendel would have an edge. I really can't see getting a 6.5 grendel. Thats why I prefer an AR platform in 6.8 SPC shorter barrel = less weight to carry.It all boils down to personal preference.

thmpr
January 2, 2010, 02:37 AM
AA was always there when I needed them thus kept my GDMRs and GP system from day one and never looked back. 600 - 800 yards is where the Grendel shines against the 6.8.

NordicG3K
January 4, 2010, 09:42 PM
Love my Grendel! :D

http://nordicg3k.tripod.com/my_gun_pics/grendel01.jpg

HJ857
January 5, 2010, 10:37 AM
I worked with an AA 19" Overwatch for a good 18 months. Nice rifle, but heavy. It was a finicky rifle and only liked certain loads. For my experience Lapua Scenars were far better than Sierra Match Kings for accuracy and if you believe the published ballistics, they're better there too. Ramshot TAC didn't work at all for me, BLC2 and W748 work great.

At the time I was shooting it magazines were very problematic. C Products has just released a new model mag that actually worked reliably. Not sure what the status is now though.

I gave it up because while the Grendel isn't all that expensive to load, retrieving your brass is the key. If you lose the brass, the loading costs skyrockets. This and the magazine problems were the deal breakers for me. Over time it became impossible to trust it's reliability.

As a hunting round I think it's a good choice. As a rifle for 2 gun or 3 gun competitions, it's pretty poor due to weight, reliability and the brass issue. Keep in mind that my experience is a couple years old now though.

longdayjake
January 5, 2010, 02:47 PM
For more punch under 300 yards, the 6.8 SPC does everything that the Grendel does with better availability of components

Not even close to true. Even from shorter barrels, the grendels heavier bullets usually deliver more energy than the 6.8 at about 100-150 yards. That statement only becomes true when you handicap the grendel by trying to compare 6.8 weight bullets to similar weights in 6.5. Once you put the heavier high BC bullets in it then you get more energy sooner.

I have a love-hate relationship with my 6.5 grendel. Chamber specs are tight enough that I have to do a little more work than I would with my normal .223 to make sure I get the shoulders perfect and whatnot. That and with the higher price of the 6.5 bullets, the rifle is a lot more expensive to shoot than 223. However, when I finally get it out to the range or in the field I just fall in love with it all over again. It hits so much harder than .223 and it goes so much straighter that I just cant get enough. Here is a picture that I post often because I like to show off.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee232/longdayjake/6360_1193907208571_1255148157_30557.jpg

TIMC
January 5, 2010, 03:00 PM
I'll have mine tomorrow, most of the accessories, scope, mags, dies have been delivered already. The ammo should be in this afternoon so In will have some brass to reload. I may take her out this weekend hunting.

If you enjoyed reading about "6.5 Grendel former owners" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!