Any issues that I would have with a right handed AR-15 being left handed?

PDA

Skillet
January 1, 2010, 04:32 PM
is there any issues that i would have with an AR-15 set up to be right handed with me being left handed?

since I am new to ar-15's I dont know if the charging handle or anything like that would be a problem for me.

thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Any issues that I would have with a right handed AR-15 being left handed?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mljdeckard
January 1, 2010, 04:38 PM
The charging handle would not really be a problem, the latch will take some getting used to, but it's doable. Lemme search for a lefty charging handle. I just glanced at these results, I saw some ambidextrous ones.

http://www.google.com/search?q=left+handed+charging+handle&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

You want a AR with a 'bump' on the upper. This is the shell deflector, the bump behind the ejection port that the military adopted so that they wouldn't have to issue lefty rifles to prevent lefties from getting their noses burned by flying brass.

Stag makes lefty ARs. What I would do is get to a range and try a regular AR with the bump, you will probably find there's no real difference to you.

Skillet
January 1, 2010, 04:43 PM
what AR would have a "bump" on it?

Skillet
January 1, 2010, 04:48 PM
Found one. its DPMS, and in my price range. what do you think?

http://www.impactguns.com/store/DPMS-RFA2AP4AAP4-UG71.html

RockyMtnTactical
January 1, 2010, 04:52 PM
Most AR15's have brass deflectors. I know a lot of lefties who shoot AR15's without problems.

Juice Boxes
January 1, 2010, 04:57 PM
safety and mag release could be not as ergonomic and user friendly as they should be but,

Safety: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=5591/Product/AR_15_AMBI_SAFETY_SELECTOR

Mag Release: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=9873/Product/AR_15_OVERSIZE___AMBI_MAG_RELEASE

DPMS makes a good gun for the money.

The one you selected has a flat top upper which you could use the sights that come with the gun or put your own optics on it.

(I had a bad experience with Impact Guns and so have many others, but if you really want to go through them expect having to call a couple times for your order)

Big Russ
January 1, 2010, 04:59 PM
I'm a lefty... Christmas Eve I got a chance to shoot 10 rounds through my MP-15 before dark - didn't have any issues at all but I did put my leg into a pile of freshly fired (and hot) brass that left a nice impression for a while.

The charging handle isn't a problem either, just something us lefties get used to using living in a predominately right-handed world.

AR-15 Rep
January 1, 2010, 05:08 PM
The only bad thing for me was in basic training when the hot brass used to land on my arm.

rcmodel
January 1, 2010, 05:10 PM
My oldest son is a lefty and has shot my bone stock Colt SP-1 since he was old enough to hold it up. About 30 years now.

The SP-1 is the early "slick side" with no brass deflecter "bump" or Forward Assist on the side.

No problem!

It might also be worth noting that 7%-10% of all U.S. GI's are left handed, and fight wars with right handed M-16's & M-4's.

No problem!

rc

Txhillbilly
January 2, 2010, 12:40 PM
I shoot them left handed all the time left handed. Stag makes them lefty if you still have concerns about it.

hatchetbearer
January 2, 2010, 12:58 PM
i wouldnt worry about it, the marines taught our leftys how to work their weapons effectively, but i dont remember the tricks as im not a lefty. but proof is its doable.

greyling22
January 2, 2010, 01:14 PM
I'm a lefty I struggle with the bolt release being on the wrong side. I don't like reaching over the top of the gun or juggling it back and forth between hands. between that and the sproing in the stock I just don't care much for them. I know most people think they are God's gift to the shooting world, but they just don't fit me very well. Maybe I'm just doing it wrong. Other than that I don't really have much issue with the controls. mag release and forward assist are easy enough to use with the right hand and the shells don't hit me in the face.

Frankl03
January 2, 2010, 01:58 PM
I shoot lefty and the bolt release is easy to reach. I just reach up with my index finger and press the bolt release. I do have a lefty Stag but the bolt release is in the same place as a right handed AR. In that way shooting lefty is a plus.

I do like like the left handed ejection of this AR. I had a right handed AR previously and had no problems.

rangerruck
January 2, 2010, 02:02 PM
Well, I fired about 1 million rounds of ammo, during my time in the Army. Occasionally you would get a piece of brass stuck in your chinstrap, but usually you could get it out pretty quick; one time I did not however- it left a burn scar on my face for about 2 years!!!!
Otherwise, nope, no probs- you eventually will not even consider , how close the brass is flying out right in front of your eyes.

wishin
January 2, 2010, 02:51 PM
I have a DPMS, but lately I've seen them for less than the Impact Arms price. Also look at Rock River Arms - they made a reasonably priced and good AR too.

MrCleanOK
January 2, 2010, 03:21 PM
The upper receivers are the only thing different on left-handed ARs. The lowers are the exact same, and can be fitted with ambidextrous parts (Norgon Ambi-catch mag release and ambi-safety made by just about anybody). Lefty and righty uppers both use the same charging handle design, with the latch on the left. The difference is that lefty uppers use a LH specific bolt carrier assembly, and have ejection port, brass deflector, and forward assist on the left.

As long as a righty rifle has a brass deflector it is good to go for a left-handed shooter, and slick-side uppers (without brass deflector and forward assist) are the exception, not the rule. Lefty uppers are a fun novelty, but bring some limitations, most notably are the availability of replacement parts (bolt carrier and bolt), and lack of QC/QA procedures that would qualify them as "serious use" guns.

RP88
January 2, 2010, 03:31 PM
Lefty here. No problems whatsoever. Just don't be an idiot and wrap your fingers around the magwell like you may see some GI's doing. Good way for a lefty to get his/her fingers bit.

ms6852
January 2, 2010, 03:39 PM
I spent over 20 years in the army using m16's, and ar-15' platforms. As a lefty the only problem I had was using them with out a brass deflector. Other than that, there really is nothing to worry about in my own opinion. I also had a burned scar on my neck from brass flying into the collar of my fatigues. Just insure you have a bump or brass deflector for your weapon.

ineedmoney
January 2, 2010, 03:44 PM
if it ever explodes watch out, with right handed guns some parts fly out the right side
if i was you i would get the stag arms AR, i friend of mine has one he shot probaly 100 or more rounds steel wolf with no problems. i only met him one time so i call him a friend because he let me shoot his ar. i never shot one other than that. i have to admit, it had more kick than i was expecting tho.
and i got an ak

ineedmoney
January 2, 2010, 03:50 PM
he was behind my house when i woke up, one of his friends is my neighbors grandson. he wanted to shoot my ak but i didnt have much ammo. so he said he was going to come back in 2 weeks and i was going to let him shoot it, but i slept the whole time he was shooting, he hasnt come back since. lol

Airburst
January 2, 2010, 08:45 PM
I shoot left handed with long guns and I just yesterday shot my XM177E1 clone. No worries. In fact, none of my other rifles have given me a problem either ranging from different caliber AK's to FAL's.

Teapot
February 13, 2010, 02:18 AM
I am a southpaw and use the M-16 in the Cdn Army. Our rifles come with the ambidextrous cocking handle which is ok unless one slings the rifle and carries it; it digs into one's side.
Waiting to get my Colt slab side SP1 and do not envisage any problems with the ejection of spent casings.

harmonic
February 13, 2010, 02:48 AM
I shoot left handed and my AR is a S&W M&P 15 PC. No problems yet.

desidog
February 13, 2010, 10:55 AM
For Lefties, IMO, the order of ergonomic utility in semi/auto rifles is

1. M14/mini14/m1carbine type
-safety in middle, charge handle accessible with right hand

2. M16/M4/AR15 type(with ambi safe and eject switches)

3. AK type family - hard safety to manipulate (fingers: Galil style charge-handle -see post#17)

4. FAL/G3 type - hardest safeties to reach, impossible to charge without multiple motions

Overall, any good rifle is going to be ambidexterous because you need to use both shoulders for room-clearing, CQB, and urban environs.

Zerodefect
February 13, 2010, 11:10 AM
The biggest fail with the Ar15/m16/m4 is it's lack of ambi controls. Apparently the military had no idea that cover has two sides or maybe they train not to use cover!

It's real important to shoot lefty around the left side of cover and righty around the rights side. Otherwise you present yourself as a huge target. If both of your eyes can't use your irons/scope, switch to an aimpoint or eotech which is easy to use with either eye.

If it's a defensive AR, get a standard right handed one. Put in an Ambi safety. The bolt release is easy to hit with your left trigger finger. Use your right thumb for the mag release.

Ambi mag releases have a habit of getting caught on gear and dropping your mag.

The charging handle is no biggie, just pullit from the rear. No one side quicky pulls. Besides, you shouldn't need your charge handle too often with a reliable AR.

I'm left handed, I use a standard Ar with no problems.

nipprdog
February 13, 2010, 11:11 AM
Stag makes them lefty if you still have concerns about it.

Beat me to it.

http://www.stagarms.com/index.php?cPath=13_21

SHvar
February 13, 2010, 11:53 AM
The US Army teaches soldiers to all shoot right handed regardless. Many rifle instructors will tell you that most lefties do very good or better initially when learning to shoot right handed. The same was said by many Marine rifle instructors, their opinion is that the lefty learning to shoot right handed concentrates better.
Try shooting either way, but there should be no problem.

WoofersInc
February 13, 2010, 07:15 PM
Another left handed shooter here. I have no problems running an AR.

NCdrummer
February 13, 2010, 07:23 PM
Other than hot brass hitting you in the face...

jem375
February 13, 2010, 09:11 PM
I have a DPMS left handed SS 20" bull barrel that I bought many years ago and it is a really good rifle... I also have a Righty AR and it is no problem shooting from the left side, but since you are a lefty, buy the left handed AR and don't worry about it.. either DPMS or Stag makes good ones...

stickhauler
February 14, 2010, 01:09 AM
I'm a left handed shooter with rifles, I spent the extra bucks for a Stag lefty. I had to fire a RH shooting Colt in the Army, and it wasn't an enjoyable experience for me. Shooting this Stag is the most fun I've had shooting a AR based firearm.

christcorp
February 14, 2010, 01:27 AM
The only way you'll have an issue as a "Left Handed" person, is if you believe in your mind that there's such a thing as a left handed or right handed gun. If you tell your brain to shut up, and if you stop listening to people that tell you there's a difference, then you will adapt. You will find the "Best Way" for you to operate the gun. And you will do fine with it. I've been hunting big game with "Right Handed" bolt action guns for more than 30 years. And I can shoot, extract, eject, and chamber the next round, just as fast as any right handed person. Just like I adapted to shooting semi-autos with magazine releases and safeties on the left side. As long as you convince your mind that it's the way it's suppose to be, and you simply have to learn how to use it, and don't let anyone tell you how to use it, then you'll do fine.

If you enjoyed reading about "Any issues that I would have with a right handed AR-15 being left handed?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!