Cetme .308

PDA

ineedmoney
January 2, 2010, 02:35 AM
i was looking thru my centerfire systems catalog and noticed the rifle in there.i was thinking of maybe getting one but i dont know much (nothing) about them. the main things i want to know is are they accurate? and reliable? and is $500 a fair price for one if i got to order it? where are they made/put together?

If you enjoyed reading about "Cetme .308" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MachIVshooter
January 2, 2010, 02:58 AM
The century G-3/cetme clones are decent. They're built on US-made receivers with spanish and german surplus parts. $500 is normal these days.

Accuracy will vary from excellent to downright miserable, with most being in the "combat accurate" category, meaning you can hit a man-sized target at 300 yards with no problem.

Reliability is generally OK, but because of the fluted chamber design, you have to use brass cased stuff.

The upside is magazines; They are dirt cheap, as in $4-$5, sometimes less in bulk.

hub
January 2, 2010, 01:38 PM
Some of the older Century Cetme's had some QC issues. I have one I bought pretty cheap with some of the usual problems that I'm trying to fix right now. I don't know about the quality of the new rebuilds they are putting out but they can't be as bad as some of the older ones.

My step dad bought it from one of his buddies pretty cheap. It is an accurate rifle but had one or two failures per magazine so he didn't want it. I got a really good deal and bought it as a fixer up project. The only problem's I have found with this one so far is it has a canted front sight and a ground bolt head. I just ordered a new bolt head and +4 rollers last night so hopefully I will have it back in order soon. I'm not 100% sure I need the +4 rollers but they are not that much. The new bolt head and rollers were about $50 FYI.

They can have a few problem's but the most important head space. That is why it is important to have a unground bolt head to get a proper measurement. The Cetme/hk91/ptr91 use a roller locked delayed blow back action and if head space is out of regulation it can be dangerous to fire not to mention unreliable. It not only affects the headspace but the timing and lockup of the bolt.

There are several guides how to do it on the Internet but basically you drop the bolt on an EMPTY chamber and pull the trigger. Then you insert feeler gauges in between the bolt head and bolt carrier. It should read in between .005-.019 if not it is not safe. This is why Century ground the back of the bolt heads. No it's not right but they did it to show a different head space reading making the rifle look less worn than it actually is which is dangerous. They could have used new parts or added + sized rollers to fix head space issues and it would have been correct but they didn't and that along with their other bad gunsmithing is basically why the Cetme has got a bad name. The Cemte is a great rifle if you get one in good shape and working right.

nalioth
January 2, 2010, 02:58 PM
Stay away from Century-remanufactured G3/Cetme pattern rifles.

They are simply not worth the trouble.

If you can find a G3/Cetme built on an unmolested parts kit (not rebuilt from a Century abomination) on a milspec receiver by a competent 'smith, you've found a winner.

If you enjoyed reading about "Cetme .308" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!