guns and crime question from AR

PDA

Ed
November 12, 2003, 04:19 PM
I have heard yesterday and today that in cities over 100,000 people, Little rock AR is ranked #3 in crime. I also hear and believe that more legal gunowners and CCW equals less crime. So help me out here, because I know I'll get asked by antis, If LR is here in the south with all the many gunowners in a shall issue state, where is the argument going? Please believe me This is not a troll, ( I looked back over it and it could be taken that way) I feel that the numbers are skewed somehow, Just havent seen a hard copy of the news. This would mean we were ahead of Washington DC and LA and all those other big cities...hard to believe

If you enjoyed reading about "guns and crime question from AR" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SJG26
November 12, 2003, 04:35 PM
Total population is only one facet of comparison - it needs to also be compared against per capita income, ethnic composition (%Caucasian vs. Asia vs. Latino vs. Black, etc.) as well as income, age and education levels.
I'm sure John Lott can provide much more insight on the statistical analysis and which factor(s) most greatly influence the outcome.

I have my own theories...........we'll see if the following threads here support it!

Ed
November 12, 2003, 06:07 PM
Ok the local news said it was per capita, with #1 ranking in burglary. Any opinions?

azthistletoe
November 12, 2003, 06:17 PM
I think it simply proves that real life never fits into a single formula. There are just too many variables. Perhaps if there were not as many guns as there are, the crime rate would be even higher? I don't know, really. As I said, too many variables.

Graystar
November 12, 2003, 07:56 PM
It's simple...

CCW IS NOT ABOUT REDUCING CRIME!!!

CCW is all about preventing injury to oneself when faced with a violent attack. That's all.

What you really want to look at is the number of injuries caused by violent crime. It's possible that the numbers are lower in LR than in states with lower crime rates but no CCW.

spacemanspiff
November 12, 2003, 08:18 PM
but the passage of personal protection laws (CCW) has a residual effect in that criminals eventually drift from committing muggings or other violent crimes to individuals because of the risk that their intended target is armed.

criminals will either move to property crimes (burglaries while residents are not at home, car theft, etc) or will move on to other areas.

hillbilly
November 12, 2003, 08:23 PM
Also, it would useful to know who is doing the crime and who are the victims.

If a significant number of the victims are lower economic class urban blacks, then that group has historically not been a big group to get CCW permits.

Need lots more info to make any useful deductions.

hillbilly

Standing Wolf
November 12, 2003, 08:25 PM
CCW IS NOT ABOUT REDUCING CRIME!!!

Thank you!

Reductions in violent crime rates are a fringe benefit of respecting the right of the people to keep and bear arms, and hunting is another.

sm
November 12, 2003, 11:48 PM
LR RANKS THIRD IN CRIME AMONG LARGE CITIES

http://www.kthv.com/search/results.asp?storyid=7694

A newspaper analysis of crime statistics ranks Little Rock's crime rate third in the nation. The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette used U.S. Census information and last month's crime report from the FBI to rank cities according to crime rates.

Nationwide, the crime rate for cities with populations between 100,000 and just under 250,000 fell by .8 percent. The only other cities with higher crime rates were St. Louis and Atlanta.

Little Rock police officials say rankings generally don't represent regional differences. They say that many more smaller, nonviolent crimes are reported in Little Rock than in large cities like Chicago or Los Angeles.

According to the crime data, Little Rock:

Ranked Number One in burglaries, up from 12th place in 2001.

Ranked Number Three for property crimes (including burglaries, thefts and auto thefts), up from 21st place.

Ranked 21st for murders, up from 27th. Little Rock had 41 murders in 2002, up from 34 in 2001. The murder rate peaked in 1993, with 68.

Ranked 26th in all violent crimes (murders, rapes, aggravated assaults and robberies), up from 55th in 2001.

11/10/2003 1:16:49 PM
-----------

It is my understanding the crime stats were obtained from:
http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/ucr.htm

In discussing this with other CCW'ers , a couple of things came up.
1) Little Rock and North Little Rock both are notorius for doom and gloom in press in getting taxes passed " to better protect". Monies don't always get used as per tax need. We have a BUNCH of political wrong doing, even predates WJC ( if you can believe that). That said even tho we have a Rep gov, WJC's "people" ( "machine") still have a lot of influence.

One reason NLR wanted no CCW in parks...wanted to sell alchohol instead, they told the public one thing, did a hurry up meeting so people like me woudn't know./ couldn't attend. Typical

2) People that do have CCW often do no carry. Due to restrictions some view the restrictions as too much hassle.

3)Due to very poor education, education is in big trouble , we have a poor economy. Granted we have the largest trading house off Wall Street, Rockefeller, and the like, however, we have a rising poor, unemployed, uneducated populace. Actually Statewide.

4) Tax base, utilities, education, businesses pulling out ( We just had SW Airlines give notice of closing) and no new businesses coming in.

5) We are vulnerable to crime. Regardless of what one thinks, I know from experience, Pros work areas, roving groups of person whom travel place to place to commit certain types of crime. I'm not speaking of just drugs, and illegal driveway cons either.

6) We have too many sheeple.

7) Too many pockets to fill and not enough "diverted funds" to go around. Crime begats crime...used to instill fear, get votes, monies,...

So, I carry, I vote and work against the politics. I try to educate best can.
I watch six too.

RobW
November 13, 2003, 12:32 PM
Old saying: "The fish starts stinking from the head"

ksnecktieman
November 13, 2003, 02:12 PM
I think you missed one number,,, That is cities between 100,000 and 250,000,,,,,,, I wonder which sities you are actually compared with? NYC and DC are for sure not involved.

What is the pop for Little Rock? Are you near the top limit of this group?:confused:

If you enjoyed reading about "guns and crime question from AR" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!