Winchester 52 Sporter - restore?

PDA

crfount
January 2, 2010, 04:21 PM
I have a 1921 Winchester 52 Sporter .22 inherited from my father. Sadly, after a divorce/move/neglect, I see today that it's barrel has rusted, the trigger guard has lost its blueing and it is not at all the same rifle my father passed on to me.
I'd like to restore it ,both to honor my late father (who would be appalled at how I let it deteriorate) and because it is the finest rifle I own, of any caliber, but I don't know how much to do without damaging its value. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.
Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester 52 Sporter - restore?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Vern Humphrey
January 2, 2010, 04:57 PM
The answer is, clean it and kill the rust. Any refinishing will damage its collector value.

P-32
January 2, 2010, 05:38 PM
What Vern said......but don't touch it with sand paper, steel wool, or anything thing with abrasives.

rcmodel
January 2, 2010, 05:41 PM
Ah contrair!

I would highly recommend you clean the active rust off with 0000 Extra Fine steel wool & oil.

If you don't get the rust stopped, it will continue to do more & more damage.

I agree you should not "alter" the factory finish in any way by sanding the stock, varnishing it, re-bluing it with cold blue, etc.

But 0000 steel wool & oil will not hurt it in the slightest while killing & stopping the active rust.

rc

AaronE
January 2, 2010, 11:01 PM
RC, only thing i would change is to use copper wool instead of steel wool....the copper will not damage the blue in any way.

AE

Vern Humphrey
January 3, 2010, 09:24 AM
I personally would use copper wool.

jcwit
January 3, 2010, 10:31 AM
I would not question rcmodel!!

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester 52 Sporter - restore?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!