Best 7.62x39 Ammo

PDA

ineedmoney
January 2, 2010, 04:08 PM
well what do you guys think is the most accurate? from what i have seen its golden tiger or brown bear but i have not shot many different kinds, or much

If you enjoyed reading about "Best 7.62x39 Ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
The Sarge
January 2, 2010, 04:16 PM
I have the best groups from Silver Bear....with the worse being Golden Tiger
7.62X39 isn't exactly a "bench shooters" round :)
However I have shot Wolf/BB/SB and GT extensively and the SB always is the most consistent and accurate of the 4 common Russian rounds.

R.W.Dale
January 2, 2010, 04:22 PM
I've found anything loaded in the barnual plant or anywhere else on the planet for that matter to be far far superior to wolf

That being said no factory offering holds a candle to a quality handload

ineedmoney
January 2, 2010, 04:28 PM
I have the best groups from Silver Bear....with the worse being Golden Tiger
7.62X39 isn't exactly a "bench shooters" round :)
However I have shot Wolf/BB/SB and GT extensively and the SB always is the most consistent and accurate of the 4 common Russian rounds.
HP,FMJ or SP silverbear?

vinnivanhood
January 2, 2010, 04:29 PM
Ive been tryin to decide what ammo to buy, and looks like the Silver Bear is the highest velocity, and from what Ive been reading sounds like alot of people like it. Now its a matter of finding the best price tag.

ineedmoney
January 2, 2010, 04:29 PM
alot of people dont like golden tiger but i had 2 nice groups 2day with one flyer, and i think that was me or the wind

i have been looking at the silver bear for a while, thats gonna be the first kind i buy off the internet. they never have it at my local gun stores

ineedmoney
January 2, 2010, 04:32 PM
I've found anything loaded in the barnual plant or anywhere else on the planet for that matter to be far far superior to wolf

That being said no factory offering holds a candle to a quality handload
dont you want to send me some free ones to try out :-)

The Sarge
January 2, 2010, 04:43 PM
HP,FMJ or SP silverbear?
I shoot HP's.

The Sarge
January 2, 2010, 04:45 PM
Here...you may find this of interest....
http://www.ak-47.us/Article_Detail.php?g=content1189253823

ineedmoney
January 2, 2010, 04:50 PM
what do you think about brown bear sarge?
i think between wolf, brown bear, golden tiger, and winchester i like brown bear the most. thats all i have shot

do the mags make a difference in accuracy??

AK103K
January 2, 2010, 05:02 PM
I've always had the best luck with the old Barnaul labeled 125 grain SP's. They were always the most accurate and consistent out of all my AK's and SKS's. I've been told that the "Bears" are Barnaul in new packaging. Dont have any experience with them though.

Wolf seems to be pretty much hit or miss. One lot may shoot great, then the next five suck. I also always seem to get two or three misfires per case with the Wolf.

I have had real good luck with a couple of lots of the Wolf 154 grain soft points. They have shot very well out of a couple of my AK's.

All the Wolf bullets I pulled have a typical military type roll crimped base with exposed lead. The Barnaul FMJ's also have this type base. The difference I've seen though, the Wolf often have lead "smears" across the base, and the crimp isnt clean. The Barnauls on the other hand, were always clean and properly done. I think this contributes to the Wolfs accuracy problems.

The Barnaul SP's have a jacketed base with a flat bottom, and look a lot like a Sierra Game King when pulled. This may be one reason they shoot so well.

All the hollow points I've seen in this caliber (foreign anyways) are not hunting or target HP's, but basically just a FMJ with a hollow point. The bases on all of them have a roll crimp, and not a solid base. Dont know what their real purpose was or is, and I just always assumed it was a marketing or "get around" thing.

wally
January 2, 2010, 05:03 PM
I've never seen enough difference among the lot of them to do anything other than buy what is cheapest when I need more.

They are all inconsistent enough that from time to time you'll get lucky with a batch and assume that brand is "better", but in my experience the next case will likely be worse and regress back towards the mean.

--wally.

RockyMtnTactical
January 2, 2010, 05:06 PM
Bear ammo is pretty good.

ineedmoney
January 2, 2010, 05:13 PM
i have not had any failure to fires and i have shot prolbaly 100 or more wolf's. hopefully that streak continues. i think iam going to go shoot this winchester and see what it does before it gets dark the wind has died down

briansmithwins
January 2, 2010, 05:24 PM
I've gotten the best groups out of surplus Yugo M67.

It's hot and accurate but corrosive.

BSW

ineedmoney
January 2, 2010, 06:05 PM
what kinda groups you getting with the corrosive ammo?

are any bullets boattail?

SevenŠ
January 2, 2010, 06:08 PM
Best 7.62x39 Ammo?

Lapua

jakk280rem
January 2, 2010, 07:01 PM
j&g sales has brown bear $100 for a case when you buy a rifle. something to keep in mind.

Snakum
January 2, 2010, 07:18 PM
I've shot it all. Thousands of rounds. And across four different AKMs Brown Bear HPs have always been by far the most accurate. Even more accurate than US ammo. Only the Brown Bear SPs and Win Super-X SPs were accurate enough to hunt with in any of my weapons.

YMMV ... or it might not. :p

ineedmoney
January 2, 2010, 07:32 PM
i bought 20 rounds of winchester fmj 123gr. for like $22, it sucked i would of much rather put a few $'s with the $22 and got 100 rounds of brown bear, i wont ever do that again:banghead:

i havent tried the soft point tho, after the fmj i probaly wont except maybe 2 hunt like u said

M1key
January 2, 2010, 07:50 PM
I have good luck with Wolf MC hollow points (fragments). LOTS of folks on the AK forums like Golden Tiger.

vinnivanhood
January 2, 2010, 08:17 PM
Checked out their site and looks like Brown and Silver Bears have same velocities so other then shell plating and price not really any different, so now I'm leaning towards Brown Bear.

AK103K
January 2, 2010, 08:21 PM
The difference is quality, and quality control, of both components and how they are loaded.

Everything could look exactly the same, but shoot very differently.

wnycollector
January 2, 2010, 08:25 PM
Another vote for silver bear.

ineedmoney
January 2, 2010, 08:31 PM
everyone here should buy wolf...............................and save the brown/silver bear for me:D

SharpsDressedMan
January 2, 2010, 08:37 PM
I just loaded two different loadings in commercial cases with Sierra 125gr. SP's, and Hornady 123gr SP's. The weather got into the teens here, slowing me down from a field test, and I'd really like to have a proper optic on my gun (I have a folding stock AK hybrid, with 16" barrel and Zeiss Z-Point, and a recent Yugo M72 with iron sights to choose from) before I check the loads. The folding stock isn't really conducive to accuracy, and the longer barreled Yugo isn't easy to set up for a scope (no rail, and the thicker barrel hampers cetain tactical mounts). When I get the sighting challenges figured out, I'll post accuracy results. I think good handloads might be the solution to lackluster AK accuracy. I think the guns can do it, but the ammo quality has been the problem. Both guns have excellent-plus barrels.

Snakum
January 2, 2010, 08:40 PM
i bought 20 rounds of winchester fmj 123gr. for like $22, it sucked i would of much rather put a few $'s with the $22 and got 100 rounds of brown bear, i wont ever do that again

i havent tried the soft point tho, after the fmj i probaly wont except maybe 2 hunt like u said

I have a spreadsheet somewhere with all my x39 results. As I remember it, the Federal, Reming, and Win-X FMJ all shot pretty lousy for me, too. That's why I was surprised at the Win-X SP. It shot 2" - 3" groups at 100 yards with the rifle fully benched and bagged. Not as good as the Brown Bear HP, but still not bad for soft points in an AK. 2" - 3" is MOD (minute of deer) :D .

FSJeeper
January 2, 2010, 09:29 PM
Fiocchi, Winchester and S&B have been good rounds for me. But nothing compared to the handloads I make after I shoot them for the brass to reload.

-v-
January 3, 2010, 12:36 AM
+1 for Brown Beat HPs

TexAg
January 3, 2010, 12:38 AM
Anyone use the Hornady 123gr V-max?

fireman 9731
January 3, 2010, 01:08 AM
I have put between 2 and 3 thousand rounds through my AK... everything from wolf, the bears and tigers, Norinco, Winchester, Lapua, S&B, and some crazy surplus stuff that I don't even know where it came from. Every single bit of it all went bang. Not a single misfire.

I prefer anything in a soft point. Mostly Wolf and Silver bear. Oddly enough though, I get a decent nose deformation on every round of soft point when it feeds from the magazine. I still get my best accuracy from it though. I think its due to closed base bullets as others have noted.

When it just comes to blasting and plinking though, It all works for me. I usually buy whatever is cheaper.

Marlin 45 carbine
January 3, 2010, 06:29 AM
I have loaded the Hornady VMax in different cases to fire from my Mini30 with great results over 680.
factory I've found Lapua and Sako as good as it gets. PP also is good but no match for the 2 mentioned.

Lloyd Smale
January 3, 2010, 08:32 AM
Ive actually had good luck with wolf for accuracy out of my ar15. The trick to it is to insure you have a good solid primer strike. My ar when stock would sometimes have a failure to fire and had pretty poor accuracy with it. I put a wolf extra power hammer spring in it and reliability is about perfect now and group size shrunk in half.

Redneck with a 40
January 3, 2010, 10:49 AM
I've also had good luck with Wolf, 122 gr FMJ black box and the 124 gr military classic, camo box. At the price point I was buying this stuff 3 years ago, I loaded up. I've had no duds, no misfires, and it consistently shoots 3-4" out of my SKS at 100 yards with irons.:)

my762buzz
January 12, 2010, 10:57 PM
I just got to shoot some double tap ammo recently. Its loaded with hornady vmax 123 grain bullets. I scoped my saiga and vepr with a 4x12x40 and kept both guns dead still on sand bags. My first 5 shot group from my Saiga was 1.5 inches. My first 5 shot group with my vepr II (heavier barrel ) was just slightly over an inch. The next group was 1.25 inches. All shots were evenly spaced a few minutes apart. All shots impacted 100 yards away.
I'm working on setting up a video the next time I go. I might try and get some lapua FMJ to compare. I think handloads might be the only way to get tighter groups than what I shot scoped on the bags. I think a .310-.311
110 grain vmax might even do better. But they don't make that width yet to my knowledge and the .308 version might be too narrow for optimum precision.http://i46.tinypic.com/55gepl.jpg

-v-
January 12, 2010, 11:06 PM
From Krochu's experience with .308 vs .310-.311 diameter bullets, it may be worth a shot to try a 110gr .308 dia bullet for a handload. From his test, it seemed to make a minimal (~50 fps) impact on velocity and little/no impact on accuracy.

In other news, Nice! So who says AK's with good ammo are inaccurate? :D!

my762buzz
January 12, 2010, 11:37 PM
I sure love those 7.62x39 handloads that are insanely well tuned.

Here is my comparison of FMJ , then Wolf HP, Military Classic HP, and finally Double Tap versus water juggs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGB5YB9f15Q
The DT is pretty explosive. Most of the jugg launched 20 ft away.

cz85cmbt
January 13, 2010, 12:48 AM
Lapua. Is that not in the price range? Federal american eagle line.

my762buzz
January 13, 2010, 12:53 AM
Lapua. Is that not in the price range? Federal american eagle line.
I just have never seen any for sale locally.
I might try and really hunt some down at the next gun show.

nathan
January 13, 2010, 12:59 AM
THe Academy SPorts Monarch has been quite accurate in all my SKSs. Now recently i tried the Yugo ammo from Centerfiresystems and got a 2 inch grp at 100 yds. This was iwth my Yugo M 59/66.

Camjr
March 13, 2010, 01:02 PM
My understanding is that the Monarch-branded stuff at Academy is made by Barnaul in Russia, the same plant that makes the Brown/Silver/Golden Bear lines. In fact, the inside of the box-folds on my 5-6 random boxes of Monarch all say Barnaul.

Back on topic, I love the Brown Bear HP in my AMD-65!

HOWARD J
March 13, 2010, 04:34 PM
http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/7302/sksf.th.jpg (http://img62.imageshack.us/i/sksf.jpg/)They may have been corrosive & banned by US gov ( armor piercing--LOL ) but I miss
the days of Chinese SKS 123 gr copper dipped 8 cent cartridges..............:(

One cartridge missing in photo--.80 cents it was for this clip...........:eek:

HOWARD J
March 13, 2010, 04:41 PM
http://img357.imageshack.us/img357/3760/762.th.jpg (http://img357.imageshack.us/i/762.jpg/)

These are pretty accurate................................:):)

aka108
March 13, 2010, 04:43 PM
I have shot a lot of Cheetah and still have some left. It seemed to do pretty well and left the rifle pretty clean. Brass case and copper Jacketed. Only problem is the stuff was made in Zimbabwe and it doesn't come into the USA any more. Also shoot some Wolf and Barnaul.

stevegc
March 13, 2010, 05:55 PM
I've had good luck with Brown Bear. $200 per 1K

jem375
March 13, 2010, 06:40 PM
I found the Norinco steel and lead core to be the best for my Ak and SKS..

Mr Bruno
March 13, 2010, 07:00 PM
I shot these groups with my Rem 799 at 100 yards, the other day seems that gun likes the cheap Monarch the best. I am getting ready to build some 150 grain hunting rounds if anyone has a good starting point I would appreciate the recipe

http://i398.photobucket.com/albums/pp64/speedweek/reminton799.jpg

Marlin 45 carbine
March 14, 2010, 08:26 AM
Bruno - I loaded Speer 150gr flat base sp's over 4198 with good results from my Mini30. no chrono so fps is unknown.

for those looking for Lapua and Sako SOG has it, Berdan primered at a good price. Sako nearly equal to Lapua. clean too and hot.

my762buzz
March 15, 2010, 10:51 PM
Anyone use the Hornady 123gr V-max?

The hornady vmax and the (8m3 bullet) military classic seem fairly close on
how they react against water. These would be my choice for 2 legged varmints.
shot 1. brown bear hp
shot 2. Military Classic hp
shot 3. Double tap Vmax
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhyZ9ZoPJ90

averius
March 16, 2010, 02:25 AM
I am new to the AK platform. I just bought my first AK from k-var - an arsenal SGL saiga ak 47 in 7.62X39. I can use some advice on which ammo will work best with this AK model for:

1. Target practice at a range
2. Hunting -- deer
3. SHTF situations/defense

I see all this eastern block ammo for sale and it makes my head spin..wolf, bears, tigers, -- I guess the Russians like naming ammo after all sorts of forest beasts.

Anyway, what I also am trying to figure out is the functional difference between hollow points, FMJs, and these "SP" (spetsialnie patroni)....which type of ammo is used for what exactly? I mean I am guessing that hollow point is good for hunting and defense...but what is this SP used for exacltly?

I appreciate any advice..and if anyone knows who currently has the best deals online, I'd appreciate that info as well.

Afy
March 16, 2010, 03:20 AM
I think the best ammo is Lapua, followed by the non-surplus S&B ammo.
Also a 123 gr FMJ over 27.1 grains of N-120 gives fairly decent results.

Medusa
March 16, 2010, 04:51 AM
...and these "SP" (spetsialnie patroni)...
SP is soft point, not special cartridge. I've understood (second hand knowledge) that Barnaul's (also makes the Bear brands) SP bullets are pretty good.

AK103K
March 16, 2010, 09:25 AM
The biggest difference I've seen with the Barnaul SP's is, it has a flat base and is jacketed, where most of the other bullets look more like a traditional GI type boat tail, with an exposed lead roll crimp on the base. The Barnauls SP's look very much like a Sierra Game King SP bullet, when compared side by side.

The only HP's I've looked at, were Wolf, and they looked to be just FMJ's with a hollow tip, and were not constructed like a true, match type boat tail hollow point, with a jacketed base. They were also not built like a true hunting HP either.

One thing I did notice with the different types of Wolf bullets I've pulled was, while all of them had a roll crimped base, some were "clean", with a nice crimp rolled into the dimpled lead base, where others had lead smears across the top of the roll crimp and the bases were irregular. I think this is probably one of the main reasons that Wolf has been inconsistent accuracy wise.

19-3Ben
March 16, 2010, 09:38 AM
I've had great experience with Golden Tiger.

If you enjoyed reading about "Best 7.62x39 Ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!