Mossberg 500 Road Blocker

PDA

sarduy
January 2, 2010, 08:21 PM
what do you guys think about the Mossberg 500 Road Blocker as SD/HD/Truck Gun/Range toy, all around shotgun...?

If you enjoyed reading about "Mossberg 500 Road Blocker" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Zach S
January 2, 2010, 08:25 PM
I'd rather have a plain jane 500 with a full stuck and nothing goofy hanging off of the front.

Boris Barowski
January 2, 2010, 08:39 PM
nice try from mossberg, but something like that belongs on a Barrett, not a shotgun I think :)

On that particular model i'd lose the strap (if you need to let go for some reason, hand might get caught) and the muzzle brake. Shooting without a stock works, but I don't call it comfortable, you really feel it in your wrist. go with a normal stock. The basic design served millions, and it will serve you :)

oneounceload
January 2, 2010, 08:54 PM
Zach nailed it - K.I.S.S. is your friend when it comes to anything HD/SD related. That muzzle break is a joke, and you're better off with a regular stock you can plant in your shoulder

sarduy
January 2, 2010, 09:01 PM
this is more like a range toy more than anything alse...plus the muzzle break looks so wierd that i find it nice....i don't really know much about shotguns but you can remove the muzzle break just like an AR15 brake and intall anything alse... as a funny shotgun (range toy) is the mossberg 500 a good shotgun?

oneounceload
January 2, 2010, 09:05 PM
Mossbergs are a very reliable basic pump gun that, along with the Remington 870 and the Ithaca 37 make up the triumvirate of popular HD/SD pump guns. All will last a long time with minimal care and can be used for any application necessary of a shotgun.

By range toy, I am assuming you mean a typical rifle/pistol range and not a trap/skeet club.

Zach S
January 2, 2010, 09:07 PM
Zach nailed it - K.I.S.S. is your friend when it comes to anything HD/SD related.
Um, I said I rpefer a simple 500 over the roadblocker.

I dont think my SD/HD shotgun qualifies as KISS
http://thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=74979&d=1206096624

oneounceload
January 2, 2010, 09:19 PM
With the exception of the built-in light (which isn't a bad thing), sure it is - things that are absolutely necessary are different from things that aren't

The Deer Hunter
January 2, 2010, 10:53 PM
Well that barrel shroud isn't really necessary.

Grunt
January 2, 2010, 11:03 PM
Range toy or it's true calling, comic relief, is about the only thing the load hocker is good for.

earlthegoat2
January 3, 2010, 10:08 AM
I hate those things beyond all reason.

Everyone wants to look and ask questions about what it is for. I honestly dont have a friggin clue what it is for and neither does Mossberg. They are just laughing at idiots all the way to the bank.

Zach S
January 3, 2010, 10:21 AM
What I hate is that they'll put all kinds of goofy tacticool crap on the end of their bbls, but they wont thread them for chokes.

sarduy
January 3, 2010, 12:58 PM
what kind of scope/reddot rail works with the mossberg 500?

Jack2427
January 4, 2010, 11:39 AM
Mossberg is reading the market and noting all the aftermarket stuff that folks buy, and just trying to intercept some of that cash. Tacticool looks sell (unfortunately).
Forgive a minor rant, but the term is muzzle BRAKE, the term resulting from its braking effect on the rearward movement of the gun.
The handguard was originally developed in WWI for the time when a solider would grasp the barrel with his left hand from the top when using the bayonet, and at that time the barrel would presumably be really hot. There is a rationale for it if you are going to use the gun as a blunt weapon (I do NOT recommend bayoneting anyone in this day and age), as in the vertical or horizntal butt stroke. Properly done those strikes are very damaging and potentially lethal, so do not think that you are using less than lethal force, rather than firing the weapon. You use the offensive strokes to retain the weapon or when it is dry. Anyone who has gone through basic training will remember the technique really well.

Fred Fuller
January 4, 2010, 11:59 AM
Personally I think people who use them should wear a pink tutu to the range. It would look real cute. :D

lpl

(The pink tutu thing is an old range joke here... joke was that if an IPSC match winner wore a pink tutu to the range, pretty soon everyone would have one.)

Zach S
January 4, 2010, 09:21 PM

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=27200/Product/RECEIVER_MOUNT_PICATINNY_RAIL

RandKL
January 4, 2010, 09:40 PM
Funny how all the experts harp on Knoxx recoil reducing stocks all the time....and yet laugh off the most efficient recoil reducer ever mounted on a shotgun because it's on the opposite end. Too many "experts" with too little knowledge seems to be a big hit in this hobby.

r

oneounceload
January 4, 2010, 10:17 PM
Funny how all the experts harp on Knoxx recoil reducing stocks all the time....and yet laugh off the most efficient recoil reducer ever mounted on a shotgun because it's on the opposite end. Too many "experts" with too little knowledge seems to be a big hit in this hobby.

Considering how vents to the side offer nothing, the only recoil reduction will come from the added weight of that appurtenance, not from any magical work. Actual recoil reduction comes from using a heavy gun with light loads - nothing more

RandKL
January 4, 2010, 10:59 PM
Considering how vents to the side offer nothing

They aren't vented to the side. They're vented at approx a 45 degree backward angle just like the .50 Barrett it seems to have been copied from. It redirects more than 60% of the gas to the rear to reduce recoil. It works on a Barrett, it works on a Mossy.

rich

AcceptableUserName
January 4, 2010, 11:00 PM
how in the world do you expect to use a red dot on a pgo shotgun??????? have you thought this through much?

oneounceload
January 4, 2010, 11:15 PM
They aren't vented to the side. They're vented at approx a 45 degree backward angle just like the .50 Barrett it seems to have been copied from. It redirects more than 60% of the gas to the rear to reduce recoil. It works on a Barrett, it works on a Mossy.

If it works for you, OK, have at it

Enachos
January 4, 2010, 11:18 PM
The things are ugly... and do seem a little skeptical. But I'd give it the benefit of the doubt before making an assumption. I have yet to shoot one, but as RandKL said, "It works on a Barett, it works on a Mossy." But I'm no expert

eldiabloe1
January 4, 2010, 11:53 PM
I have several basic Mossberg HD guns without any tacticool things on them. The 590A1 stays in the safe. I'm a little paranoid of a liberal leaning jury freaking out over an EBSG. I have an old pump with the Cuts Compensator on it and it works. It throws plastic from the wads on everyone around you...

earlthegoat2
January 5, 2010, 07:37 AM

I does not work for the shotgun just like porting does not work for a shotgun.
They are just noisemakers to the shooter.
On a 50 caliber where smaller bore diameter and whole lot more powder and pressure are concerned then yes it does work.

RandKL
January 5, 2010, 08:40 AM
The things are ugly

They *are* ugly, but they work. That's why so many folks get rich each year designing new muzzle brakes for guns. It's cheap improvement.

rich

RandKL
January 5, 2010, 09:20 AM

Wrong. Muzzle brakes and ports work for *ALL* firearms in which a column of pressurized gas expels forward to propel a projectile. Divert part of the gas and you divert part of the recoil....divert that gas into a direction that counters the recoil and you can reduce recoil by a considerable amount. It can't *not* work. It's simple physics. The only question is in how efficiently it *will* work. The Vang Comp guy claims his barrel treatments (porting, backboring, and lengthening the cone) can reduce recoil by ~15%. Mossberg made a claim of 35% recoil reduction on the 835 Ulti Mag. It can't not work. It's simply a question of how much it *does* work.

r

oneounceload
January 5, 2010, 10:58 AM
Porting on a shotgun does NOTHING for recoil. It MIGHT, (emphasize might) reduce some muzzle jump, but that has nothing to do with recoil.

Lengthening the forcing will reduce peak pressure and that will aid in reducing recoil. Overboring a barrel is somewhat minimal at best, and is usually not noticeable.

If you truly want to reduce ACTUAL recoil, a heavy gun with light loads makes that happen. Reducing FELT, or perceived recoil, can be aided by using a semi-automatic action and lengthening the forcing cones a little

RandKL
January 5, 2010, 02:28 PM
Porting on a shotgun does NOTHING for recoil. It MIGHT, (emphasize might) reduce some muzzle jump, but that has nothing to do with recoil.

I'm glad you brought that up and clarified it for us, OOL. Not that anyone but you has even hinted that it might (it actually does, but to a small degree that wasn't worth pointing out), but thanks anyway ;) lol

I have a feeling this thread is going to do a 180 pretty soon and confuse everyone. Might be a great time to go fill the coffee pot and work on some projects and just let it go.

richard

Big Bill
January 5, 2010, 02:39 PM
I'd rather have one of these Road Blockers than a Taurus Judge.

highorder
January 5, 2010, 02:40 PM
Perception is reality.

If you "feel" that comp works on a shotgun, then it works.

Take that shotgun and comp to a lab and measure the effectiveness, and you'll see that It has an IMPERCEPTIBLE effect.

Muzzle brakes and ports work for *ALL* firearms in which a column of pressurized gas expels forward to propel a projectile. Divert part of the gas and you divert part of the recoil....divert that gas into a direction that counters the recoil and you can reduce recoil by a considerable amount. It can't *not* work. It's simple physics. The only question is in how efficiently it *will* work.

It absolutely works. A little. Very little.

If you like it, great. I think it's laughable.

oneounceload
January 5, 2010, 03:18 PM
Yep RandKL, you and I are not going to come to an agreement on this topic, so I'm letting it go. If you like it, go buy one.

Gunfighter123
January 5, 2010, 05:37 PM
They are just noisemakers to the shooter.
On a 50 caliber where smaller bore diameter and whole lot more powder and pressure are concerned then yes it does work.

Sorry but that is NOT correct !!! I have porting/muzzle brakes/compinsators on almost EVERY ONE of my competition firearms ---- "Front Sight" the monthly journal of IPSC/USPSA/Action Shooting has done MANY tests on different porting/muzzle brakes/compinsators and THEY ALL WORK TO SOME DEGREE --- the best tests I've seen all have the firearm "locked" in some kind of rest and use a pendellum type recorder to record both muzzle rise and foot pounds of rearward thrust.

ga red clay
January 5, 2010, 07:09 PM
One little thing....
My mossy 835 with ported barrel recoils way harder than a similar gun, same length barrel, same loads with no ported barrel.

Such a difference, in fact, that I was actually really suprised how hard it was when I first shot it.

I think the Brake on the roadblocker looks ridiculous.

Ill be leaving now...

Grunt
January 5, 2010, 07:36 PM
Works or not, I'll still laugh in the face of the mall-ninja that buys one of those things.:neener:

sarduy
January 5, 2010, 07:51 PM
thanks for laughing at me, it so happen that i bought one yesterday:mad:, but it's all good, :neener: because you won't be laughing once i start shooting next to you. :evil:

btw i did't buy it beacause it's mall-ninja looking, i bought it because i like it. plus i can allways chnge the barrel :D

highorder
January 5, 2010, 07:54 PM
How does the brake attach? Is it simply clamped on?

AcceptableUserName
January 5, 2010, 08:49 PM
it may have a benefit I don't know, but it isn't worth the added length, especially on a pgo gun where 18.5" is pushing the usefullness as it is.

sarduy
January 5, 2010, 08:55 PM
How does the brake attach? Is it simply clamped on?

http://www.redstradingpost.com/auction_images/Auction_Arms/?img=./Mossberg_500_Road_Blocker_TALO_Specia_%20Edition_50591_STOCK_PHOTOS/29.jpg&w=600&h=

Big Bill
January 5, 2010, 09:17 PM
sarduy - That's ok. I think they're cool too. I guess we'll be mall ninjas together. :) Besides, who gives a crap what they think!

highorder
January 5, 2010, 10:36 PM
Threaded with a lockring. Cool. Easy to remove.

Sam1911
January 5, 2010, 11:45 PM
Threaded with a lockring

Yeah, sweet! That opens up the aftermarket for lots of useful threaded muzzle devices that I'd love to add to a shotgun barrel. Like ... uh. Like a ... um.

Wait, I've got it...a ...no, no... well, I'll think of something.

Maybe you could get a really cool thread protector cap to go on it. Very stealth!

You could add a buttstock, too and then you'd have a useful shotgun, but you'd still know it was a "ROAD BLOCKER" in disguise!

Kind of the best of both worlds, eh? A sleeper, if you will -- a Road Blocker all dolled up as a serious weapon!

:D

-Sam

Gunfighter123
January 5, 2010, 11:54 PM
I also go along with the idea of putting another stock on it --- either a full stock pistol grip or a side folder.

highorder
January 6, 2010, 12:10 AM
Yeah, sweet! That opens up the aftermarket for lots of useful threaded muzzle devices that I'd love to add to a shotgun barrel. Like ... uh. Like a ... um.

Wait, I've got it...a ...no, no... well, I'll think of something.

Precisely. You crack me up Sam. :)

GoodKat
January 6, 2010, 03:36 AM
The people who claim to have actually shot it say that it actually significantly reduces felt recoil, contrary to my doubts regarding a brake on such a low pressure weapon. One thing is for sure, it's better than that fake suppressor piece of crap.

tkopp
January 6, 2010, 06:01 AM
I dare you to put a side folder on it and take it to your local skeet range.

:D

highorder
January 6, 2010, 11:04 AM
The people who claim to have actually shot it say that it actually significantly reduces felt recoil, contrary to my doubts regarding a brake on such a low pressure weapon.

Unless they are shooting that monstrosity side by side with a PGO 500 sans muzzle weight, any perceived recoil reduction is wishful thinking for having bought into the hype, or guilt for feeling like a mall ninja.

"The truth hurts. Not as much as jumping on a bicycle with the seat missing; but it hurts."

Lt. Frank Drebin, Police Squad-

Zach S
January 6, 2010, 12:02 PM
Threaded with a lockring.
The lockring may just be a threaded insert with set screws to keep it from backing off...

The brake looks plastic to me.

I think the effectiveness of that brake simply boils down to the power of suggestion. Like the compensator bbl bushings for 1911s or a 15hp gain by installing whatever air filter on your car.

Fred Fuller
January 6, 2010, 10:03 PM
They *are* ugly, but they work

They work a lot better on a .50BMG. But if someone need or wants a full blown muzzle brake on a 12 ga. at least they have that option now. It's at least a partially free market, and that should be appreciated.

I still think it's better to get started on a basic box stock riot gun if possible, though, just as I think people still need to know how to drive straight shifts, in case they ever need to use one. Just call me an old stuck in the mud...

lpl

The Captain
January 6, 2010, 10:20 PM
I kinda like it. Probably wouldn't buy it.

Does it work? Who knows, but it OP like it, it's his money. The Brake is definitely not plastic, I've handled one.

I felt invincible holding it. lol

Guns and more
January 7, 2010, 12:00 AM
I have the tacitcal. The road blocker seems a bit extreme to me.
Quite frankly, I like the pistol grip (Mine has the Knoxx) and I don't care what others think.
If you think it would be fun, or useful, go for it.
As far as scopes on a P/G, forget it. You'll be shooting from the hip.
As far as a rail, I got a short rail from UTG on E-Bay (just search for mossberg rail, etc.)
It is well made, uses the 4 screw holes on the top of the receiver, matches perfectly, and I mounted a LED flashlight there.

LS240
January 7, 2010, 11:58 PM
I don't mean to step on anyone's toes here, but has anyone actually tested this thing to see if it works? I see people on both sides of the argument who are absolutely certain it will or will not work, but I haven't seen any real tests yet. A few have claimed to shoot it, but they didn't mention side by side comparisons and if that's the case, their experiences may not be valid. Some scientific tests would be great with shock sensors or whatever they use to test recoil, but even a good old fashioned seat-of-the-pants test would be better than nothing.

Would anyone who owns or has access to one of these mind taking it to the range and shooting identical loads both with and without the brake to see if it actually works? You could even get all fancy and attach something to the barrel of the shotgun that weighs the same as the brake when you're testing with the brake off to determine if the (potential) recoil reuction comes from something the brake is actively doing or simply from the added weight.

I think they look ridiculous and cumbersome and doubt the brake does much, but I still would like to see some testing instead of conjecture from both sides.

wrs840
January 8, 2010, 12:27 AM
Just an opinion on the best all-around, real-world-sensible, current-production close-range anti-personnel Mossberg 500...

The 50577... http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossberg_Guns/930/NEW/50577.jpg

Top o' the 500 personal-defense heap these days, IMO...

les

rustycrusty
January 8, 2010, 09:35 AM
My BPS kicks like a mule 30" bbl, 3 1/2", 12 ga. No one who shot it would pull the trigger a second time. A friend was given a BPS 28" bbl,3 1/2",12 ga. And his felt about like all the other 3 1/2,12's I've shot. Why the diff? Who knows? I called Browning and they were NO help, just said I'm recoil sensitive, even though I said that the Ben Nova pump 3 1/2, 12 I have kicks way less. So much for customer service!!!

If you enjoyed reading about "Mossberg 500 Road Blocker" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!