Which Rock River Arms AR??? They look mostly the same to me---

PDA

AKElroy
January 2, 2010, 07:52 PM
I am pondering my first AR, and I am leaning towards Rock River Arms. Let's not turn this thread into a debate over the manufacturer. I will be using this for hogs, plinking, 100 yrd. paper punching. I do not reload or compete, I do not have any need to breach a perp's front door for a tactical entry, and this gun will not serve in any HD or SD capacity. I like a shorter barrel carbine, will serve some as a handy ranch front seat gun.

I have a spare Nikon Prostaff 3X9X40 that will be used, I have no need for a carry handle, and want to keep the scope as low to the bore as possible.

The following is a link from the AAR page @ Impact Guns, showing several RRA offerings. Which features in your opinion will I be kicking myself for not getting?? Which combo is best for my described use? $1100.00 is my max.

http://www.impactguns.com/store/rra_rifles.html

If you enjoyed reading about "Which Rock River Arms AR??? They look mostly the same to me---" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
M1key
January 2, 2010, 07:54 PM
I like my 16 inch mid-length. Accurate and soft-shooting. Get the flat-top for lower scope mounting.

Boba Fett
January 2, 2010, 09:22 PM
I like my Entry Tactical:
http://www.rockriverarms.com/images/products/entry09.gif

Rifle was just about perfect. I made a couple of changes like adding the Magpul MOE handguard (I like the feel better) and some change up to the sling mounts, but other than that it is as it came from the factory.

Accurate and comfortable to shoot. I have had several compliments on the feel of the grip and the fire selector. Actually I guess RRA gets the compliments since those parts came standard on the rifle :p

Whichever you rifle you choose, I also suggest a flat top AR / flat top capable (you can take the "tactical carry handle" off my rifle). This gives you more options: scope, standard carry handle, flip up sights, etc., etc.

Welding Rod
January 3, 2010, 01:02 AM
http://www.rockriverarms.com/images/products/mida2409.gif

Given your criteria, I would go with the "mid-length" gas system (16" barrel) with the following options: light-weight profile barrel, chrome lined, free float aluminum handguard, and weaver type gas block (instead of front sight tower).

That should be about $130 in options. In my experience RRA street price is about $100 -$150 less than MSRP.

If you want a collapsable stock I would recommend the Magpul CTR.

And of course you would definitely want the flat top reciever.

BTW RRA will provide about any option they offer, or part that they sell, as an installed option on an order, whether that item is listed on one of their webpages as an available option for a specific gun or not.

Boba Fett
January 3, 2010, 01:18 AM
In my experience RRA street price is about $100 -$150 less than MSRP.

Yup. Picked mine up at a gun show for $800 NIB. $170 less than MSRP.

BTW RRA will provide about any option they offer, or part that they sell, as an installed option on an order, whether that item is listed on one of their webpages as an available option for a specific gun or not.

Now there's something interesting I didn't know...gonna have to keep that in mind...

roadslug
January 3, 2010, 02:33 AM
I picked my RRA flattop carbine up from ADCO firearms about a year and a half ago. At the time it was the best price I could find on line. Shipped very quick also - just another option. Also added a Larue Tactical LT104 mount for my 2x7 scope and a Troy BUIS rear sight. I just use the Troy sight for close plinking or throw the scope on for longer shots. It's a fun little gun.

earlthegoat2
January 3, 2010, 08:51 AM
I like the Elite Comp but I think I would go with a full length handguard and Ace stock and a free float aluminum hand guard.

So probably a Coyote

Justin
January 3, 2010, 10:03 AM
If you have no intention of shooting beyond 100 yards, go with a 16 inch gun. The medium-length hand guards will give you a bit of extra sight radius when shooting irons, and a flat-top model will allow you to quickly and easily change optics if you decide you want to put a scope on the rifle.

If you intend to let other people shoot the rifle who may be shorter/taller than you, an adjustable stock is a good option to get, otherwise stick with a fixed stock.

The_Pretender
January 3, 2010, 11:29 AM
My friend bought his from Rock River. The accuracy "out of the box" was pretty damn impressive.

Overall, there is nothing to complain about. Outstanding rifle.

OhioChief
January 3, 2010, 12:20 PM
You said you wanted an AR, but weren't specific about the size. I have a .308 RRA LAR-8. I like it. I also have a Colt M4 .553 and love it too. I doun't that you'll go wrong with whatever you choose, but was just curious about the Cal. you were expecting to get.

AKElroy
January 3, 2010, 02:13 PM
.223 is what I am looking for. I like the 16" tube, but I also like a heavier barrel configuration for extended paper punching & less heat induced zero-wandering. I will be scoping this rifle with a Nikon prostaff BDC 3X9X40 that I already have on hand.

I will be considering adding a light for spotlighting hogs, so a forend with a rail is a good idea, and my kids are 8 & 11, so the adjustable stock is also a great idea. This is really helping me narrow down my needs--thanks. Now I just need spousal buy-in------

Walkalong
January 3, 2010, 03:02 PM
Now I just need spousal buy-in------ That is understood without saying it. :D

Flat top. Much more versatile.

Not a match chamber (more forgiving), unless you are really serious about shooting above avg groups.

If you want a railed forearm, get it up front, or if you are not sure, later you can get some of the really nice ones that replace the handguards (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Tactical-Handguards-Non-Free-Float-s/53.htm).

OhioChief
January 3, 2010, 04:01 PM
if the wife ever figures out the combo on the gun safe, I'm in deeeep $___

Welding Rod
January 3, 2010, 04:08 PM
If you want a heavier profile barrel, the RRA stainless steel barrel, 1:8 w/ Wylde chamber, is a $65 option. May not be the best choice for mag dumps, but in my experience they really shoot well. With good match ammo and a floated handguard I would fully expect 1 MOA for a 5 shot group, and would probably be pleased to find it actually frequently did somewhere between 1/2 and 3/4.

mrjohnston
January 3, 2010, 05:58 PM
I have the entry tactical and it works for me. The new version has M1913 rails and that would make it perfect.

Txhillbilly
January 3, 2010, 08:05 PM
I have a RRA 20" Varmiter and it is a great shooting gun. If you are going to put a scope on it get the EOP flattop upper and you won't have to buy the taller scope rings or the mounting setup for a regular flattop receiver.
Now the 20" bull barrel isn't lite by any means,but unless you are going to be carrying it around all day it isn't that bad. I also have a 16" HBAR flattop that I assembled and it is also a great gun,and much lighter than the 20" RRA. Both have 1-8 twist barrels and like to shoot heavier bullets 62-75gr.They will both shoot sub-moa groups.
It just depends on what you want.

http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af113/1Txhillbilly/AR15.jpg

JDGray
January 3, 2010, 08:09 PM
Be sure to check out Pete, at this link, for some unbeatable prices!
http://www.ar15sales.com/index.htm

Rokman
January 4, 2010, 06:06 PM
16'' midlength is what I would reccomend.

January 4, 2010, 07:20 PM
Be sure to check out Pete, at this link, for some unbeatable prices!
http://www.ar15sales.com/index.htm
I'll second that.

slvrbulit12
January 4, 2010, 11:58 PM
From what you descibe the 16" or the 18" varmint, some find the heavy barrel makes the rifle unbalanced. I have been looking at the 16" coyote carbine as it also has the free float handguard without the heavy barrel.
RRA makes good stuff so I think you would be happy with any of their products. Good luck with the purchase they are loads of fun.

If you enjoyed reading about "Which Rock River Arms AR??? They look mostly the same to me---" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!