Savage 10 fcpxp at Dicks

PDA

3dshooter80
January 3, 2010, 03:57 PM
I was in a local Dicks sporting goods today looking at the Savage 10 fcpxp package that comes with a Tasco 3x9x40 Mildot scope and I noticed something I thought was odd. The barrel nut was smooth. How do you tighten or loosen it to change the barrel?
Is there a special wrench for smooth barrel nuts that I have never heard of? Let me know if you have any idea about this.
By the way, it is a very nice looking rifle with a heavy fluted barrel, but the sales guy didn't know if it had the Accustock or not. Anybody know about that?

If you enjoyed reading about "Savage 10 fcpxp at Dicks" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Maverick223
January 3, 2010, 04:04 PM
I can't answer your bbl nut question, never removed one, but I am sure that someone will com along shortly to sort that out.

If I am not mistaken none of the combo packages come with the AccuTrigger or the AccuStock; besides the scope is of poor quality. I would leave the scope and purchase the one with AccuTrigger/Stock. Then put a little money into a nice scope such as a Nikon, Bushnell, Leupold, or Zeiss (depending upon budget).

...and last but certainly not least: Welcome to THR! :)

3dshooter80
January 3, 2010, 04:10 PM
This model which is a variation of the standard 10fp did have the accutrigger. I used to own one without it and I definitely recognize that feature. I flexed the tip of the stock towards the barrel, but it felt pretty stiff only 2-3 inches from the end. Of course I didn't ask the guy to take the barreled action out so I could see, but if it does have the accustock, I will snatch it up since it is priced at $669 including an immediate rebate.
I know the scope is not great, but it would get me shooting for the time being. Also, they had 100 round boxes of 165 grain soft point A-max bullets for $65. Anybody got the low down on those?

Maverick223
January 3, 2010, 04:35 PM
This model which is a variation of the standard 10fp did have the accutrigger.I stand corrected...if is is a FCPXP and sub-$700.00USD then leave NOW, it has a HS Precision stock (not my favorite, but not bad by any stretch). I just checked their (Savage) site and it is a LE model with a match barrel/action and retails for $2824.00.

If you are reading this sentence...you waited too long to leave. :)

Maverick223
January 3, 2010, 04:52 PM
I hope that you didn't go to the one in Huntersville, NC...I just reserved it...but I figure that there was a problem somewhere (so check to make sure that it is the correct model)...that model/price cannot be correct.

:)

Boba Fett
January 3, 2010, 05:41 PM
I just called the Dick's Sporting Goods in my area and the rifle is indeed $669.

However, from the description they gave me, it is not the 10FCPXP HS Precision. "If it seems too good..."

They said it had a fluted barrel and does not come with a bipod, so I'd guess it is probably the 10 FCP-K.

Still not a bad buy for that price, but sadly, not the FCPXP.

3dshooter80
January 3, 2010, 05:49 PM
It definitely does not have a HS Precision stock. I thought that it looked like a 10fcp-k without the muzzle brake. I haven't seen an accustock in person before so I just didn't know if it had one or not.
Anybody got any ideas about that smooth barrel nut?

Maverick223
January 3, 2010, 06:53 PM
Still not a bad buy for that price, but sadly, not the FCPXP.Well yes and no...just got back from Dick's and it is the FCPXP, however it is a new variant with a NON-ACCUSTOCK Savage stock. Nor does it have the Badger scope mount/rings, or the Leupold scope (as was mentioned earlier). I would still say that it is a good buy, and all you would need to do to make it nearly as good as the LE version is add a HSP stock, and good mount/rings, and optics.

Anybody got any ideas about that smooth barrel nut?I think this will work on it...barrel nut wrench (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=288765)

:)

HunterBear71
January 3, 2010, 07:05 PM
I have that rifle. Not an accustock, but mine is scary accurate. I got rid of the tasco and put a SIII sightron on it. It has a 22" fluted barrel and uses the new Savage barrel nut that looks less like a 'nut'.

If you enjoyed reading about "Savage 10 fcpxp at Dicks" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!