Okay: so in 2011 I'm going to buy a good 1911. Which one?

PDA

1KPerDay
January 3, 2010, 06:44 PM
I figure it's as good a reason as any. I'm going to start saving now. My requirements are:

1. blued or black frame and slide, full size.
2. no forward serrations.
3. .45 ACP
4. Reliable.
5. Accurate.
6. no sharp "step" on top of slide. Either smooth/round or milled/serrated.

I like Colt just because of the name and the history, and it seems a Colt 1911 should be a Colt. :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Okay: so in 2011 I'm going to buy a good 1911. Which one?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JTQ
January 3, 2010, 06:48 PM
Series 70 Reproduction.

xx7grant7x
January 3, 2010, 06:53 PM
I imagine in 2011 there will be a plethora of special 100 year editions. Seems a commemorative to commemorate your purchase would be appropriate. never mind the too collectible to shoot crowd. I'm sure someone will be making a commemorative firearm that would suit your requirements.

Strahley
January 3, 2010, 07:04 PM
Rock Island Armory meets all of your requirements, and can be had for about $400 :)

searcher451
January 3, 2010, 07:15 PM
If you really want one, why not go with your instisncts and get yourself a COlt? It's the real deal and doggone tough to top, IMO. That's not to knock the knock-offs of this model; a great many of them are quite good. But nothing bets the real thing. Put another way, which one would you like to see in your hands 50 years from now?

wilkersk
January 3, 2010, 07:24 PM
Or, how about a 2011 in 2011:

Here's one that meets your 6 requirements

http://www.stiguns.com/guns/Tactical4/images/Tactical4Web_280w.jpg

deputy tom
January 3, 2010, 07:28 PM
Colt was the first in 1911 and I'd get a Colt in 2011.YMMV.tom.:D

Walkalong
January 3, 2010, 07:53 PM
At 1Kperday, I would buy an Ed Brown. :D

gbran
January 3, 2010, 07:58 PM
My Series 80 Colt was a lot of bargain and quality for the price. It's not a $2,000 hot rod but it's accurate, smooth, comfortable and dependably. I've been overly happy with it.

jfh
January 3, 2010, 08:00 PM
Some months ago--six, perhaps--Gun Test Magazine reviewed four of the nominal $2500.00 1911s. Look up that article; it ought to be online by now, I would think.

FWIW, like Walkalong, I would look awfully hard at Ed Brown's product.

Jim H.

Clarence
January 3, 2010, 08:06 PM
Just remember - while Colt manufactured the original 1911, John Browning designed the 1911. Other than the name, Colt doesn't offer nearly as much in a 1911 as a number of other manufacturers, and quite frankly while there are diehard Colt fans many 1911 shooters consider them to be somewhat of a low-end gun.

My personal recommendation would be an Ed Brown Special Forces..............not surprisingly my carry gun is an Ed Brown Special Forces. I guess I am a little biased in my opinion, but I have over 7k rounds through it without a malfunction. Good enough for me.

Ala Dan
January 3, 2010, 08:21 PM
"NO Front Slide Serrations"- this is a tough one, and will be hard too find~! :eek:

Getting past that, I prefer the tightness of the Baer's; and personally
chose The Thunder Ranch Special 1911. It comes standard with the
Trijicon night sights, excellent trigger pull; and tight as Dicks Hat Band.
After a 200 round break-in period, these things are known for their
reliability; as well as their superb accuracy~! ;) :D

M&PVolk
January 3, 2010, 08:41 PM
Dan Wesson Valor. No front serrations. Very nice!

EddieNFL
January 3, 2010, 09:33 PM
"NO Front Slide Serrations"- this is a tough one, and will be hard too find~!

Nighthawk offers it as an option. You can even request no markings on the slide.

wilkersk
January 3, 2010, 09:41 PM
Some months ago--six, perhaps--Gun Test Magazine reviewed four of the nominal $2500.00 1911s. Look up that article; it ought to be online by now, I would think.

FWIW, like Walkalong, I would look awfully hard at Ed Brown's product.

Jim H.

Here's the bottom line on that, from a follow up article in the May '09 issue:

From http://www.gun-tests.com/issues/21_5/

In the April 2009 issue, our test team shot and evaluated three high-end custom full-size 1911s: the Combat Custom, $2895, from Luke Volkmann of Volkmann Custom Inc.; Wilson’s CQB, $2550, and Les Baer’s Premier II Super-Tac, $2280. Attempting to pick the best one was anything but easy. They were all excellent. But we graded the Wilson CQB as the best of that trio.

I like the Wilson CQB also. If mom ever lets me spend that much at once, I will probably get a Wilson.

As far as the 4th pistol in that May article, here's what they had to say:

At the same time we also shot and evaluated a fourth product, but held back the test data for this special report because the gun was massively more expensive and harder to get than the other three. This follow-up will cover a Michiguns 45 Commander Custom, about $5000, available from Ned Christiansen. If you want a gun from Michiguns, be prepared to wait five or six years. Christiansen’s innovative touches and incredible machining skills (he’s a one-man shop) have vaulted him to the top echelon of gunsmiths, with a resultant huge backlog. As before, we tested with four types of ammunition, Black Hills’ hardball, Federal 185-grain Hi-Shok JHP, Cor-Bon 230-grain JHP, and with cast-lead, 230-grain round-nose Ultramax. We tested during a severe winter in Idaho, and thus had trouble achieving the guns’ full accuracy potential. With the Federal 185-grain JHPs, the Commander bested the CQB slightly, with an average group size of 1.5 inches to 1.6 inches. The margin was a little wider with the Cor-Bon 230-grain JHPs, with the Commander shooting average group sizes of 1.4 inches compared to the CQB’s 2.0-inch average.

However, as with anything anyone says or writes anywhere these days, I also found THIS on the same GOOGLE search:

GUN TESTS Magazine Unqualified to Evaluate Personal Defense Ammunition

Hammerhead6814
January 3, 2010, 10:05 PM
Someone will come out with a "100 Years" special edition that will have all the bells and whistles. Save and wait.

WhoKnowsWho
January 3, 2010, 11:41 PM
I'm looking forward to the special editions that come out. I'll be saving some money for that one.

1KPerDay
January 4, 2010, 12:08 AM
Thanks guys... lots to think about. I've been ogling the ed browns for a while.
I should add that I don't like squared-off trigger guards on 1911s either.

MICHAEL T
January 4, 2010, 02:47 AM
Colt for the 100 year .They will have a special model

1KPerDay
January 4, 2010, 01:28 PM
source?

DRYHUMOR
January 4, 2010, 07:06 PM
Something to think about here....

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=255555

I'd vote for the Valor

mnhntr
January 5, 2010, 05:12 PM
STI would be my vote

jackpinesavages
January 5, 2010, 06:14 PM
Here you go.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=187720

LancerMW
January 5, 2010, 08:41 PM
if you dont mind commanders an STI Ranger 2

earlthegoat2
January 5, 2010, 08:44 PM
I like the Les Baer line myself.

Particularly the Thunder Ranch Commanche.

SideArmed
January 6, 2010, 07:25 PM
If you are really getting as into as I am, I would buy a basic Springfield milspec

Shoot it as much as you want out of the box, gradually add parts to it as you like.

The Baers/hawks/Wilson's are sweet and extremely well made, but i treasure my true customized by me guns. :D

1KPerDay
January 6, 2010, 08:13 PM
I'm having trouble fitting a "drop-in" beavertail to my Combat Commander... I think I'll leave the customizing to the pros. :)

Skillet
January 6, 2010, 10:55 PM
haha some could argue that your fourth requirement rules out all 1911's. Sorry i just had to throw that out there :)

(but those are usually the same guys that like the reliability of single shots, ak-47's, and revolvers. no offense anybody..... hehee)

1KPerDay
January 7, 2010, 12:44 AM
:D
I've never had a single malfunction in my bone-stock Stainless Combat Commander running the stock mags. Not one.

72IH
January 7, 2010, 01:35 AM
Fusion Firearms. Take a look you won't be disappointed. Less money than some of the others mentioned and equal or better quality. Great customer service to.

HammerheadSSN663
January 7, 2010, 01:48 AM
Dan Wesson VBOB....or current CBOB if you can find one.

smoothdraw
January 7, 2010, 02:44 AM
Colt 70 series reproduction. It has all your parameters. It has a unique feedramps that shoots any bullet incl hollowpoints.

1KPerDay
January 7, 2010, 12:46 PM
Is this a current model available new from Colt?

mnhntr
January 7, 2010, 01:12 PM
Well of the four I have owned, the STI Lawman is my favorite. My RIA is a good, reliable pistol, but it lacks the "upgrades" the STI has. I like the front strap to be either checkered or some sort of texture for grip. I also like the trigger, beavertail, and hammer on the STI better. I had a Remington Rand that was pieced together and it was reliable but I sold it:(.I also had a .38 super Llama that was a good gun but it was not near as reliable as the others.
I posted on here about Springfield and got alot of positive responses so I am going to add a few new Springers to my arsenal with my tax return.

JTQ
January 7, 2010, 03:41 PM
Colt 70 series reproduction. It has all your parameters. It has a unique feedramps that shoots any bullet incl hollowpoints.
Didn't I say this in post #2?
Is this a current model available new from Colt?

Yes

http://www.coltsmfg.com/products-c5-q76-COLT_PISTOLS.aspx#

Walkalong
January 7, 2010, 04:13 PM
It has a unique feedrampsYou mean like properly machined ones? :D

JTQ
January 7, 2010, 06:10 PM
Colt puts a dimple on the bottom lip of the chamber. It seems like a good idea. My guess is it will be copied by many makers soon.

benderx4
January 7, 2010, 09:33 PM
Sounds like you want a Colt. Get what you want. For my money, I'd get a Les Baer. No question.

1KPerDay
February 18, 2010, 01:30 PM
My boss just got an Ed Brown special forces carry... verrrrry niiiiiice... hmmmmm.....

NMGonzo
February 18, 2010, 02:13 PM
Rock Island Armory meets all of your requirements, and can be had for about $400 :)

Yep.

I can't wait to go and shoot mine!

1KPerDay
January 10, 2011, 07:57 PM
Forgive the bump... but if this is all Colt has in mind for the 'anniversary,' color me unimpressed. Goofy-looking rollmarks on a 1918. Meh...

http://www.coltsmfg.com/DesktopModules/Bring2mind/DMX/Download.aspx?EntryId=122&PortalId=0&DownloadMethod=attachment

EddieNFL
January 10, 2011, 09:30 PM
If I were buying specifically because it is 2011, I'd buy Colt. Otherwise they rank about midway down the list.

cobblestone
January 10, 2011, 11:55 PM
Dan Wesson Valor.

Skylerbone
January 11, 2011, 05:25 AM
I just ordered a Smith & Wesson yesterday. I picked it for it's reputation for reliability. The rest of it is a matter of preference. As far as special editions go this will be a special edition to my collection because I plan to shoot it's guts out! I have yet to see a commemorative edition that doesn't remind me of a Franklin Mint Elvis plate. I could not picture going to the range and uncasing that.

Buy what speaks to you within your price range.

PabloJ
January 11, 2011, 05:44 AM
Not sure if it's reliable and or accurate but I would choose new Ithaca from Ohio. Dime a dozen stuff isn't my way and I like to take less traveled path if you will.

Zerodefect
January 11, 2011, 08:50 AM
Dan Wesson Valor. No front serrations. Very nice!

This. I love my Valor. Best 1911 for the money.

gc70
January 11, 2011, 09:14 AM
Forgive the bump... but if this is all Colt has in mind for the 'anniversary,' color me unimpressed.

What do you want from an anniversary model - a lot of useless bling? The most authentic anniversary model would arguably be a reproduction of the original 1911.

Mayo
January 11, 2011, 09:18 AM
Might as well get the best---Ed Brown IMO.

LCPor9mm
January 11, 2011, 09:43 AM
I made the same decesion...a 1911 for 2011. I picked the Remington R 1 due to many of the same requirements you have. I have over three hundred rounds through it ( it's a little over a week old) and can honestly say it is one of, if not the most fun gun I own at this point. I am amazed with the comfort level the 1911/.45 cal handgun affords. It puts my .38s, .357s and 9mms to shame. Initially I thought the Colts were too expensive but after having looked at dozens of 1911s I think they are a good value.
Be warned! 1911 style handguns are additive! I went to a local gun show two days ago and what do you think caught my eye....You got it, the 1911s. :D:

gwnorth
January 11, 2011, 09:56 AM
I already own a couple of Colt 1911's, but 2011 does just seem like a great excuse to buy another. However, I'm really not interested in anything new. I have as my goal to find a very good to excellent original Colt series 70. I just missed out on a LNIB one last year, and I see a fair number of them on www.gunsinternational.com and other sites. Yes, prices are up for the same grade pistols of a year or two ago as folks try to cash in on the 100 year anniversary. But, if it is in really good condition, I'd pay going rates for an original series 70 gov't.

Nothing wrong with a current production Colt either, IMO. My 2009 stainless combat commander has been flawless since it came out of the box.

bkhosken
January 11, 2011, 11:19 AM
I was just wondering...is it really worth spending $2500 on a single handgun? I don't mean to pooh-pooh your super 1911s, but holy cow! To me it's a tool, and unless you spend a HECK of a lot of time at the range in competition or fun...$2500?! I was just thinking $900 for a high quality but basic version will leave a lot of cash for ammo, accessories and holsters, etc.

RevolvingGarbage
January 11, 2011, 11:31 AM
I went with the original for my first 1911 and got a good deal! its a Colt MK.IV Series 80 stainless Government, and I'll just say I got it for about what you would pay for the tactical model RIA 1911's :D

I'm half paid up on it right now, pics when it in my hands!

1KPerDay
January 11, 2011, 12:33 PM
Stupid question: how can I tell the difference between an original series 70 and one of the new ones?

wow6599
January 11, 2011, 12:50 PM
What about a Springfield RO? I like them better than the "Loaded" Springers.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/1911RO/BannerLandingPage.jpg

1KPerDay
January 11, 2011, 01:23 PM
Nice. The rear sight appears too sharp-edged for my purposes though. I prefer something that won't slice up my hand during loading/clearances.

davidbee
January 11, 2011, 01:33 PM
I was thinking about a 1911 again too.
I wanted to get a LNIB Kimber Series 1 or
A New Springfield Mil-Spec..
The TRP is great too... but then I see Wilson Combat and think If you have to get a 1911 thats the one to get and i cant afford it.

wow6599
January 11, 2011, 01:47 PM
The rear sight appears too sharp-edged for my purposes though. I prefer something that won't slice up my hand during loading/clearances

Same here, plus I don't like the looks of the rear sight.......that's why when my RO comes in from Bud's (layaway) I am going to change it out with a fixed sight.

Skylerbone
January 11, 2011, 02:22 PM
For one an original Series 70 will be used. Keep in mind that they will both have a pinned front sight and "Colt Cut" rear sight. That will limit replacement options if you're leaning towards FO, NS or adj. Very nice, classic 1911 that should have a place in any 1911 collection.

1KPerDay
January 11, 2011, 02:23 PM
Same here, plus I don't like the looks of the rear sight.......that's why when my RO comes in from Bud's (layaway) I am going to change it out with a fixed sight.
Can you do that? The rear of the slide is milled for the adjustable...

1KPerDay
January 11, 2011, 02:27 PM
Does the DW Valor use the series 70 mechanism?

Also, I recall a year or two back something about DW discontinuing the "good" model of something and everyone was freaking out about making sure to get one before they were gone. Was it the CBOB or something?

1KPerDay
January 11, 2011, 02:34 PM
http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/default.aspx?pg=list&mfg=Dan+Wesson&mdl=Valor&cat=1&type=Semi-Automatic+Pistol&cal=45AP

Are these prices right? Why is the black one $400 more than stainless? :confused:

gc70
January 11, 2011, 03:59 PM
Stupid question: how can I tell the difference between an original series 70 and one of the new ones?

This review (http://www.m1911.org/prodte26.htm) goes over the Series 70 reissue, and differences from the original, in detail. The biggest differences include better/larger sights, a solid bushing rather than a collet bushing, and Colt's new throated/dimpled barrel.

wow6599
January 11, 2011, 05:02 PM
Can you do that? The rear of the slide is milled for the adjustable

I can't remember the exact company that makes them , but they are out there. I'm sure one of these would work as well - http://shop.harrisoncustom.com/category/53-sights.aspx

p.s. - It's a LPA cut slide......

1KPerDay
January 11, 2011, 07:44 PM
This review (http://www.m1911.org/prodte26.htm) goes over the Series 70 reissue, and differences from the original, in detail. The biggest differences include better/larger sights, a solid bushing rather than a collet bushing, and Colt's new throated/dimpled barrel.
Thank you :Cool:

1KPerDay
January 11, 2011, 07:48 PM
I can't remember the exact company that makes them , but they are out there. I'm sure one of these would work as well - http://shop.harrisoncustom.com/category/53-sights.aspx

p.s. - It's a LPA cut slide......
Cool! I might try one of those on my Para Limited.

BlayGlock
January 11, 2011, 10:33 PM
Les Baer TRS w/o FCS.

You wont get any better for the money. It is the gun Colt wishes it was.

If you were to want Melonite, Get a Guncrafter No Name. Its the gun Baer wishes it was.

http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/vv239/BlayGlock/Les%20Baer%20TRS/BaerTRS001-1.jpg

http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/vv239/BlayGlock/TDP%20and%20NN/GCNNBaerTDP010.jpg

Armedleprechaun
January 12, 2011, 04:55 AM
Springfield Armory Mil Spec 1911. It's very well built, reliable, and is a great base gun to customize later. I have one, and love it!

Evan

1KPerDay
January 12, 2011, 01:31 PM
Les Baer TRS w/o FCS.
FCS? :confused:

wow6599
January 12, 2011, 01:37 PM
FCS?
Front cocking serrations

1KPerDay
January 12, 2011, 01:40 PM
Ah. Duh.

Skylerbone
January 12, 2011, 04:14 PM
Any front runners in mind yet? Looking back on the original post, most suggestions don't meet criteria, the Baer being one exception. Most have omitted your requirement for the slide top to be milled, I assume to deal with potential glare off the sight plane. You may note that most slides featuring serrations will be SD style commander length or target style pistols. Most manufacturers skip this step to save some coin where many consumers won't notice.

1KPerDay
January 12, 2011, 04:47 PM
Any front runners in mind yet? Looking back on the original post, most suggestions don't meet criteria, the Baer being one exception. Most have omitted your requirement for the slide top to be milled, I assume to deal with potential glare off the sight plane. You may note that most slides featuring serrations will be SD style commander length or target style pistols. Most manufacturers skip this step to save some coin where many consumers won't notice.
All I want is either a smooth top of the slide, or serrated. NOT a raised flat area like on my colt combat commander (enhanced model or something.). It doesn't have to be milled flat. But I don't like forward slide serrations, purely for aesthetic reasons. And if I'm going to get my one full-size single stack 1911, I want it to look the way I want. :D

Ideally: black/blue slide (truthfully, blue is my preference, but a black coating of some type or melonite is fine), stainless barrel, silver-colored trigger (ideally 3-hole), wood double diamond grips, mag well, Novak type rear sight, or something similar. Bushing can be bright I suppose.

But those are all secondary concerns.

Frontrunners at this point:

1. Colt Series 70 reissue (perhaps with a factory dehorning/sight upgrade/refinish for $350ish extra)
2. Dan Wesson Valor (I know, it's not made in USA)
3. Ed Brown something or other
4. Baer basic something or other
5. Original series 70

That GI no name one looks intriguing though... I don't like the squarish ejection port or the wide serrations, but otherwise... :cool:

Zerodefect
January 12, 2011, 04:58 PM
All I want is either a smooth top of the slide, or serrated. NOT a raised flat area like on my colt combat commander (enhanced model or something.). It doesn't have to be milled flat. But I don't like forward slide serrations, purely for aesthetic reasons. And if I'm going to get my one full-size single stack 1911, I want it to look the way I want. :D

Ideally: black/blue slide (truthfully, blue is my preference, but a black coating of some type or melonite is fine), stainless barrel, silver-colored trigger (ideally 3-hole), wood double diamond grips, mag well, Novak type rear sight, or something similar. Bushing can be bright I suppose.

But those are all secondary concerns.

Frontrunners at this point:

1. Colt Series 70 reissue (perhaps with a factory dehorning/sight upgrade/refinish for $350ish extra)
2. Dan Wesson Valor (I know, it's not made in USA)
3. Ed Brown something or other
4. Baer basic something or other
5. Original series 70

That GI no name one looks intriguing though... I don't like the squarish ejection port or the wide serrations, but otherwise... :cool:

Actually I think the DW is made in the USA. They are owned by CZ, but DW is still DW.

1KPerDay
January 12, 2011, 06:49 PM
Source please.

Skylerbone
January 12, 2011, 07:14 PM
Norwich, NY...unless we've come to our senses and traded it to Canada for some good beer then it's still in the states. NY that is, wouldn't trade a DW nearly that cheap if at all.

1KPerDay
January 13, 2011, 12:26 AM
HA! Thanks :D

1KPerDay
January 25, 2012, 10:55 PM
Update:

Well... I didn't quite make it in 2011; couldn't find a Colt O1970 anywhere.

Tonight I went to a local shop fully intending to purchase a stainless O1070 they had, but after handling it, observing the pretty shoddy fitting, the lame 100 Years of Service rollmark that was only partially impressed into the slide, and looking at the $980 price...

and then handling and looking at the Dan Wesson Heritage next to it... for $1100...

I went with the Dan Wesson. Man, is it smooth. Man is the slide/frame fit nice. Man is the trigger sweet. No play in the barrel hood. Safety snicks on and off with authority. Sights are exactly what I wanted. First 5-shot group I shot (from improvised rest) at 30 feet with crappy remington ammo measured 1.25" center to center. I imagine my handloads will tighten that up considerably (judging by previous experience comparing the two rounds). No malfuctions in 5 mags, right out of the box.

I think I made the right decision. I still want a blued Colt... but it'll have to wait. :cool:

Thanks again to all who offered their opinions/help/encouragement. This is my first full-size, single stack 1911. And I dig it.

docnyt
January 26, 2012, 06:51 AM
You do know DWs tend to multiply. Pretty soon it will call out to its companions.

1KPerDay
January 26, 2012, 12:32 PM
LOL

I'm already trying to figure out how to get a CBOB. So many passions... so little money... :D

NinjaFeint
January 26, 2012, 12:47 PM
LOL

I'm already trying to figure out how to get a CBOB. So many passions... so little money... :D

I bought a Dan Wesson Heritage on Jan 2, shot the best group I have ever shot on the first magazine, ordered grips from Sarge for it and started looking for things to sell to buy a v-bob

1KPerDay
January 26, 2012, 01:07 PM
Twinners! :D

Who's Sarge? I'd like some nice grips. I've heard good things about esmeralda or whatever. Also I know JP grips does nice work.

any other suggestions? I plan on adding an S&A magwell also.

NinjaFeint
January 26, 2012, 01:16 PM
Twinners! :D

Who's Sarge? I'd like some nice grips. I've heard good things about esmeralda or whatever. Also I know JP grips does nice work.

any other suggestions? I plan on adding an S&A magwell also.
Sent pm

chrt396
January 26, 2012, 01:41 PM
Les Baer is without discussion...arguement...opinion...the BEST 1911 for shootability, accuracy and quality for the money! If there are certain features you want in a 1911..then just write it down...and Les will build it. Less money than an Ed Brown...and it flat out performs. Blows away Colt, Kimber, Springfield, Ruger, and pretty much every 1911 manufacturer as far as accuracy out of the box. Nighthawk and Wilson Combat are excellent pistols...but too costly with no percieved benefits!

Now...how's THAT for boldly stating an opinion!!!

The Dan Wesson is a pretty gun!! I saw one down at the local shop and it does have some eyes!

If you enjoyed reading about "Okay: so in 2011 I'm going to buy a good 1911. Which one?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!