Tranporting weapon in carrying case, legal?

PDA

ineedmoney
January 3, 2010, 06:43 PM
i got a wasr 10/63, and i really dont want to leave it at home (while im at work), i dont have a safe yet. well anyway i was wondering if i could put just the rifle(no magazine) in my carrying case and put it in the back seat or very back of my SUV. i wont have any ammo or the magazine in the truck. i know around here you can have it loaded and have it right beside you in the passenger seat. i could do that, but it would suck to be in the store and look out and see someone busting my window and grabbing it, well does anyone know if i can put it in the back seat or very back in a carrying case?
i live in north carolina

If you enjoyed reading about "Tranporting weapon in carrying case, legal?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
HOLY DIVER
January 3, 2010, 06:47 PM
http://www.jus.state.nc.us/NCJA/ncfirearmslaws.pdf

Onward Allusion
January 3, 2010, 06:47 PM
Are burglaries common in the area you live? I would think cars/suv's getting broken into would be more of a problem. Also, unless you live in a house with an attached garage, you will be carrying a rifle case to and from your suv - i.e. prying eyes...

(http://www.thehighroad.org/member.php?u=106585)ineedmoney (http://www.thehighroad.org/member.php?u=106585)
Tranporting weapon in carrying case, legal?
i got a wasr 10/63, and i really dont want to leave it at home (while im at work), i dont have a safe yet. well anyway i was wondering if i could put just the rifle(no magazine) in my carrying case and put it in the back seat or very back of my SUV. i wont have any ammo or the magazine in the truck. i know around here you can have it loaded and have it right beside you in the passenger seat. i could do that, but it would suck to be in the store and look out and see someone busting my window and grabbing it, well does anyone know if i can put it in the back seat or very back in a carrying case?
i live in north carolina

MIL-DOT
January 3, 2010, 06:48 PM
Your work may have policies against firearms on the premises, that you may or may not choose to heed ( I consider them BS and ignore them,just like the "no concealed carry" signs at some buisnesses).
That being said, you have no legal issues with a cased rifle in your vehicle,but,as you pointed out,theft is your most pressing concern considering it could be visible through a window.

ineedmoney
January 3, 2010, 06:54 PM
well just last night we think someone may of been in one of our sheds because the door was wide open, but it has no damage so i really dont know, i live in the country the closest house is like 100yards and they couldnt see if i put it in my thruck, and when i told my boss, about the ak 47 varient he wanted me to bring it to work so he could see it, then we took it to his house to shoot it----very cool boss--- he owns the business

so i can have it in the case? i got a......i dont know what its called. but i could put the rifle(thats inside the case) in the very back then pull the cover over and lock it in place so that way if someone does look in the back they will just see the cover, i got my toolbox in there right now and a few atv helmets, so when you look in the back you only see the cover

"If the weapon is concealed near, in close proximity to, or within
the convenient control and access of an occupant, which would allow him/her to use the
weapon quickly, then a fair probability exists that the occupant is in violation of the law.
Therefore, care must be exercised by any occupant of any vehicle to ensure that weapons are
securely locked away in as remote an area as possible, in relation to the passenger
compartment of the vehicle. It is important to emphasize that these prohibitions apply to
passengers, as well as drivers of any vehicle."thats from http://www.jus.state.nc.us/NCJA/ncfirearmslaws.pdf

and im still confused, its like there saying as long as its locked away and hard to get to its not consealed, in the veryback would be hard to get to quickly, but then they say it must be in the passenger compartment

Maverick223
January 3, 2010, 07:51 PM
and im still confused, its like there saying as long as its locked away and hard to get to its not consealed, in the veryback would be hard to get to quickly, but then they say it must be in the passenger compartmentNo, as far away from the passenger compartment (out of reach in the back, trunk, bed, et cetera); keeping the weapon broke down or locked with ammunition exclusive of the gun case is also permitted in NC, as I understand the law (I am not an attorney).

:)

wishin
January 3, 2010, 07:53 PM
"in relation to the passenger compartment......"

This doesn't mean in the passenger compartment.

I'm not familiar with NC's gun laws, but it sounds to me from your post and cite that they're referring to a separated area, such as the trunk of a car. A toolbox in the bed would probably be OK. IMO covering anything that's normally within view is like sending an invitation to somebody who's up to no good (even if it were legal).

Maverick223
January 3, 2010, 08:02 PM
IMO covering anything that's normally within view is like sending an invitation to somebody who's up to no good (even if it were legal).Agreed, invest in a decent safe (Diamond Back makes one that is pretty decent at a reasonable price that has a 1/4in. plate steel door, 10Ga. body).

Ignition Override
January 4, 2010, 04:25 AM
Don't know, but in Memphis many cars or broken into (even my car) for a few dollars seen in the console, or at Shelby Farms, because if the doors are locked certain scum bags-who also patrol the Wolfchase parking lots-assume that you have something worth stealing, even if not visible.
Some deputies told me about this last fact.

Some thieves broke into some FBI (or US Marshals') SUV parked at a Denny's or Danver's by I-40 and got some automatic ARs etc several years ago.
Did the thieves know that the officers were enroute to the LEO conference or training?
And their car was in sight of their table, according to quotes in "The Commercial Appeal" article and evening tv news.

Might have been day time, but it seems to have happened within about 1-2 miles of a county and state prison, which are south of Sycamore View/I-40.
Coincidence, or transfer of chat overheard from correction officers by guys in "the joints", to buddies outside?

Art Eatman
January 4, 2010, 09:52 AM
Seems to me that this would be the operative part:

"...care must be exercised by any occupant of any vehicle to ensure that weapons are securely locked away in as remote an area as possible, in relation to the passenger compartment of the vehicle."

If it's locked beneath a cover and out of sight, it looks to me like you'd be okay--in point of law as well as observation by a potential thief.

zoom6zoom
January 4, 2010, 12:26 PM
I agree with Art. But I also believe securing it at home will be better. While you may not be able to afford a safe, you can get a security container for under $100. Bolted to a wall or locked inside a closet your rifle will be a lot safer than locked inside a fairly easily breached or stolen vehicle.

wishin
January 4, 2010, 02:28 PM
If the weapon is concealed near, in close proximity to, or within the convenient control and access of an occupant, which would allow him/her to use the weapon quickly, then a fair probability exists that the occupant is in violation of the law.Therefore, care must be exercised by any occupant of any vehicle to ensure that weapons are securely locked away in as remote an area as possible, in relation to the passenger compartment of the vehicle.

Not a lawyer, but there's a lot of ambiguity in the cite. Get a NC lawyer that knows gun law to be sure what you can or can't do.

Maverick223
January 4, 2010, 03:00 PM
...I also believe securing it at home will be better. While you may not be able to afford a safe, you can get a security container for under $100. Bolted to a wall or locked inside a closet your rifle will be a lot safer than locked inside a fairly easily breached or stolen vehicle.+1, even a cheap RSC from Dick's, et al, is a much better option than taking it with you. Cars are broken into far more frequently than homes (at least around here), and even a medicre cabinet will generally keep out kids looking for a quick score.

If you enjoyed reading about "Tranporting weapon in carrying case, legal?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!