Free Floating a Barrel

PDA

Eschaton
January 3, 2010, 08:21 PM
Does free floating a barrel make a significant/noticeable/massive/minor difference in accuracy?

I am thinking about free floating the barrel of my bushmaster o.r.c. and wanted to know if it's worth the money.

Thank you :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Free Floating a Barrel" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
nipprdog
January 3, 2010, 08:33 PM
Does free floating a barrel make a significant/noticeable/massive/minor difference in accuracy?

It helps.

I am thinking about free floating the barrel of my bushmaster o.r.c. and wanted to know if it's worth the money.

Depends upon intended use. ;)

Eschaton
January 3, 2010, 08:35 PM
It helps.

A lot? A little? Worth the money?

And it's intended use is at the range and home defense I suppose.

Jeff82
January 3, 2010, 08:42 PM
Are you a competition shooter?

No: Prolly not. (worth it)

Yes: Yes, but without a bunch of other improvements won't make much difference.

Ifishsum
January 4, 2010, 01:16 AM
On an AR15 type rifle, adding a free float handguard makes a significant difference if you use the sling to support your firing position (assuming the sling is attached to the FF tube rather than the FSB). From the bench a FF tube may make some difference, but probably not a lot. Honestly for the average AR shooter it's probably not worth the cost involved to retrofit.

rskent
January 4, 2010, 05:01 AM
Just to add to what Ifishsum said. If you use a sling with a non free
float barrel you will have a different zero for each position sitting,
standing, and prone. IMHO if you want to improve accuracy, start
with the trigger, and go from there. If Im not mistaking your o.r.c.
comes with a 16 heavy barrel. How tight are you expecting it to
group? What kind of ammunition are you using?
Steve

If you enjoyed reading about "Free Floating a Barrel" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!