Late X-Mas Gift, Long Slide !

PDA

pageophile
January 4, 2010, 10:14 PM
Hello Gents,

I've always had a thing for long slide 1911's. Not too sure why maybe too many viewing of the Terminator ;)

Managed to close the deal a little after X-Mas for this, my late present.

Well I finally got my hands on one, while not a 45ACP I'm pretty stoked. Here she is: a AMT Javelina 10mm Hunter, a 7" long slide :eek:

Hopefully the range trip will keep the love affair alive.

http://i47.tinypic.com/308lc8k.jpg

http://i47.tinypic.com/213oe9j.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Late X-Mas Gift, Long Slide !" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
wally
January 4, 2010, 10:26 PM
Please let us know how it goes. AMT quality was always a crap shoot, hope yours is good.

I've a 6" RIA long slide 1911 that rocks!

--wally.

pageophile
January 4, 2010, 10:47 PM
I have my fingers crossed too Wally, hopefully I got a good one (knock on wood, salt over shoulder . . .)

CrashInBlack
January 5, 2010, 06:00 PM
Wow, beautiful grips on it too!

pageophile
January 5, 2010, 06:53 PM
Thanks CIB,

I got the grips off eBay, they were from seller in Thailand and even with S&H were cheap. About 25USD :)

StrikeFire83
January 5, 2010, 07:06 PM
Nice gun.

I'm really resisting the temptation to make the inevitable penis joke.

Resisting...

mnhntr
January 5, 2010, 07:11 PM
cool looking pistol

m2steven
January 5, 2010, 09:05 PM
Wow, that's a big A$$ gun! Very lovely too.

Gunfighter123
January 5, 2010, 11:16 PM
CONGRATS on your new gun !!! I had the 7" AMT in .45acp and I really can not say very many good things about it. The AMT 5" Hardballer I owned was one of those guns you just kick yourself for selling. I am sure you know -- with full power 10mm ammo -- make sure you have AT LEAST a 18lb. recoil spring in it.

BTW --- I also REALLY like the grips --- could you post or PM me the sellers name/info.

Cougfan2
January 5, 2010, 11:32 PM
My brother has a 5" AMT hardballer that he got YEARS ago. I seems to be a solid pistol.

BP44
January 5, 2010, 11:48 PM
7 incher:what:

That is a really nice looking pistola!!!

pageophile
January 5, 2010, 11:52 PM
Thanks for all the comments/info gents (and resisting the inevitable penis jokes too ;) )

The eBay sellers name is chiangmai_thailand

A really great fellow to deal with and supplies a bunch of different grips.

BTW, Not affiliated with him in anyway shape or form. Just a happy customer.

NG VI
January 6, 2010, 12:18 AM
Looks neat, I didn't realize a 7" longslide existed, I thought 6 was where it ended.

If you have a chronograph, you should definitely post up some results and show us what a 7" 10mm is capable of.

HisSoldier
January 6, 2010, 03:50 PM
I've always wanted one, and have always wondered if the extra sight radius results in closer groups. I had an AMT Skipper once, a really nice gun too.
Looking back there is something really appealing about AMT, pioneers that they were, we owe a huge dept of gratitude to AMT. I've read that AMT's were softer than we expect now, so I'd wonder about impact areas in the action with the higher pressure 10MM.

pageophile
January 8, 2010, 11:56 PM
Hello Gents,

Took apart the Javelina on Thursday night for a cleaning/inspection. Everything went easy/peasy. Seems like a really solidly built unit and exactly what you'd expect for a 1911 beefed up for the 10mm round. A couple of things that were unexpected (kinda as I read about them before), the recoil spring was of stock government length as was the guide rod. The spring plug is over 2 inches long and mostly solid :eek:

As a side note, the slide pull is quite heavy. Not as heavy as my Desert Eagle 44 but a close second. Lubed her up with G96 (out of Breakfree CLP) and greased the rails on the slide and receiver.

Hit the range Friday with high hopes and to be honest fingers crossed. Brought 2 boxes of American Eagle 10mm 180gr (all P&D had to choose from), loaded up the mags and had at her. Well to make a long story short it made shooting at 7 yards out a absolute joke, in a good way :D :D :D Best grouping every with a new pistol and as my range buddy remarked "well it's definitely not you" ;)

Ran though both boxes with no FTF or FTE or anything even resembling a mechanical hiccup :what:

While I know two boxes is not the ultimate measure of a pistols performance/reliability, first impressions are very good. Pushed the target out to 25yds and offhand still managed to put them all on the paper (yes, they were the smaller targets, not the full-sized silhouettes). Should be able to do way better with more practice.

So all that's left is to get reloading, some more range trips and maybe have some fun with HOT 10mm reloads!

Hedning
January 9, 2010, 07:43 PM
Im new in this forum, been on gunsnet for a while.. Anywat,.. got damn. I search for Javelina Longslide and find this thread!! Im picking one up next week if Im lucky to get my papers back from the police.

I thing that will be the only one in Norway. A guy in sweeden that has it right now. Never been fired. Been collecting dust on a shelf in a gun shop over there.

I would be very happy to hear about your experiences with it...

Greetings from Norway....

If you enjoyed reading about "Late X-Mas Gift, Long Slide !" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!