deer and coyote rifle

PDA

demonseed34
January 5, 2010, 02:45 PM
I am looking in to buying a hunting rifle that i can use as an all around hunting gun. I was thinking on geting an abolt in 300 winchseter mag. but i am afraid that it might be too big for cyotes and just right for deer. can some one give me insite?:confused:

If you enjoyed reading about "deer and coyote rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Bobarino
January 5, 2010, 02:51 PM
that's quite a bit for deer and 'yotes. expensive ammo, harsh recoil, long action etc. might want to check out the .243 or .260 for short actions or perhaps a .270 if you don't mind a long action. you won't ruin quite as much meat on the deer with one of those...

Bobby

dakotasin
January 5, 2010, 02:56 PM
too big for coyotes? fur prices what they are, i wouldn't sweat it. bullet probably won't expand, anyway.

that said, for a beginning hunter, i'd reccomend you look to 7-08, or 308.

rizbunk77
January 5, 2010, 02:58 PM
Ruger M77V 6mm. 87gr. Hornady SP. Leupold or old Weaver K6W scope. Sight in 1.5 inches high at 200 yds. This is not theoretical.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
January 5, 2010, 03:00 PM
The classic style is the turnbolt. I recommend it.

The classic chamberings for this combo use are .243 Win or 6mm Rem. I recommend one of them. Maybe .257 Roberts or .25-'06 or .260 Rem or 6.5x55 swedish. A .300 maggie is way way waaay too much gun for these uses. Unless you like wasting money on ammo, like a lot of recoil & noise, and/or like toting around a really heavy rifle all day as a form of exercise.

The brand - how much have you got to spend?

Ruger M77V 6mm. 87gr. Hornady SP. Leupold or old Weaver K6W scope. Sight in 1.5 inches high at 200 yds. This is not theoretical.

I don't think I'd want to argue with this man - game, set, & /thread! :)

Texas Gun Person
January 5, 2010, 03:05 PM
I would suggest .243 Win

Texpatriate
January 5, 2010, 03:21 PM
I would look at something calibered in between .243 and .308 for your purposes. The .300 Win Mag would be overkill and expensive to shoot. I have a Savage Model 99 in .243 Win, an AR-15 in 6.8 SPC, and a Weatherby Mark V in .270 Win that I would all consider just about perfect for what you want to do, depending on what kind of hunting I was doing, environmental factors, and personal preferences. A big long bolt gun is a pain to carry around in thick woods and the scope I have on it would be overkill for the kind of short distances I would encounter, but it would be perfect for a treestand hunt overlooking a massive food plot or a coyote hunt in open country. Meanwhile, the AR and the 99 are both short, handy and fast handling- perfect for a deep woods stalk or a deer drive.

You would be wise to choose your platform first based on the kind of hunting you will be doing, and then begin to look at the issue of caliber availability in your chosen platform. There are many calibers that can do what you're looking for, so I would not get hung up on caliber as the primary consideration. Figure out what action you are most comfortable with for your purposes, then let that determine what caliber you want based on availability in your chosen platform.

Texpatriate
January 5, 2010, 03:28 PM

That would be a nice all around setup that would do many things well. Not perfect for every scenario, but a pretty dang good start.

bja5006
January 5, 2010, 03:46 PM
.243 is perfect for that

wishin
January 5, 2010, 03:52 PM
+2
.243 or 6mm Rem

mcdonl
January 5, 2010, 03:56 PM
.243 seems perfect for a lot of guns. I was just looking at an NEF Handi in .243

I would concentrate more on what you need to humanely harvest deer in your area, and use the same gun for Coyote. Trying to find a one size fits both may limit your choices.

Just my opinion.

Coyote3855
January 5, 2010, 03:58 PM
Pre '64 Model 70 Winchester in .30-06. 150 grain power points. It'll do.

ccsniper
January 5, 2010, 03:59 PM
for all around hunting, I seriously recommend a .270 or 30/06. For a beginner shooter, 7/08. If you want to lesson the damage done on fur you could always go with a 25/06 and aim for the head on the yotes.

MachIVshooter
January 5, 2010, 04:02 PM
.243 Win, 6mm rem, .25-06 Rem, .260 rem. 6.5x55mm Swede, 7mm-08. If deer are to be your largest game, no reason to put up with the recoil of larger cartridges. The .25-06 will be the flattest shooting of the bunch.

Vern Humphrey
January 5, 2010, 04:02 PM
Pre '64 Model 70 Winchester in .30-06. 150 grain power points. It'll do.

Ah, a man after my own heart. The .30-06 will do anything you need done in North America. Seventy-five years ago, Colonel Townsend Whelen used to have a column in a hunting magazine and a common question was "What sort of gun should I get for . . . "

Col. Whelen would give a detailed answer, but always ended with "The .30-06 is never a mistake."

Arkel23
January 5, 2010, 04:39 PM
6.5x55 or a 7mm-08.

Big Bill
January 5, 2010, 04:42 PM
A 120 gr 25-06 has almost the same ballistics to 500 yards as does a 300 win mag 165 gr. It just doesn't deliver as many ft fbs of energy as a 300. IMHO, it's the perfect deer -coyote caliber. Check it out:

http://www.fusionammo.com/ballistics/rifle_compare.aspx

demonseed34
January 5, 2010, 05:14 PM
I like the abolts action. it is one of the only guns i have shot at a sight in, in wich i did not have to remove my head from the stock to cycle the next round and it was chambered in 300 win mag. I have also shot one in 300 weatherby magnum and that was a bit over kill to me. i was also planing on reloding my own rounds for the gun because i have a sw 500 mag that is a bit on the pricey side. i take that out hunting when i shoot shotgun territory.

WardenWolf
January 5, 2010, 06:14 PM
.30-30 or a bolt action 7.62x39? Either would work fine for that purpose.

devildog32713
January 5, 2010, 06:19 PM
.308 is great for deer, and it doesnt matter what you use for coyote, some people take them with a .22 (amazing bullet placement involved though) I have seen videos of people taking prairie dogs with .50 BMG, so anything for yotes, .308 is a safe bet for deer, or .243 for less recoil,

MJR007
January 5, 2010, 06:30 PM
Simple 25-06.

overcast_days
January 5, 2010, 06:46 PM
I have to agree with the 25-06. I also think the .257 Roberts would be ok too. .260 is good but hard to find ammo for it these days.

rizbunk77
January 5, 2010, 07:44 PM
I just saw my old man take alot of coyotes and deer with a 6mm Rem setup with 87-100 grain bullets sighted in about 1.5 inches high at 200. Also being able to whistle loud helps to turn them coyotes around when they are out there and running.

cz85cmbt
January 5, 2010, 08:01 PM
.300 mag just right for deer, and you own a .500 smith as your trail gun. If you ever go hunt moose go for an M82 Barrett and if any beers come your way, I know a guy in mexico who can hook you up with an RPG. Everyone has been on the money although a .30-06 is even a little big for those two game animals if you never intend to use the rifle for anything larger. However it sounds like you like overpower, so I say if it makes you sleep better the .300 will kill 'em both but if you want to shoot often go with a 7mm-08 or a .260.

CPLofMARINES
January 5, 2010, 09:51 PM
Check out the Rem. 700 VTR in .308, you might like it!!:D

Semper Fi!!

David Sours
January 5, 2010, 10:18 PM
.243 Win. I have been very pleased with mine!

David

hogshead
January 5, 2010, 10:33 PM
Do you really need a rpg for beers . I just use a bottle opener.

NCsmitty
January 5, 2010, 10:35 PM
25-06 or 270 will take care of business. Flat shooting and potent, without the magnum stigma.

NCsmitty

rangerruck
January 6, 2010, 12:19 AM
anything between 6 and 7 milly would be good, make it fast and flat, a 243, 270, anything 6.5 or a 280 would all be good, so would a 7.08.

wankerjake
January 6, 2010, 12:24 AM
I use and love my .243 for both.

Rob96
January 6, 2010, 04:14 AM
I just bought a rifle for this very purpose. I bought a Remington 700ADL Varmint in 308.

627PCFan
January 6, 2010, 09:53 AM
.243 or a .220 Swift with the right bullet selection (for Deer)

Water-Man
January 6, 2010, 10:05 AM
TIKKA T3 6.5x55 Swede.

Yellowtail3
January 6, 2010, 10:57 AM
since 'demonseed' - ??? - asks, I'm presuming he's a new shooter.

If that is the case... a 300 WinMag would be a very bad choice. Expensive to shoot, hurts to shoot, very loud - the last two will impede you developing good shooting habit. Heck, all three would be discouraging. And you will gain NOTHING in terms of ability to take deer or coyote.

Selecting a rifle based on a ballistics chart is a dubious way to go.

Others have said it - a 30-06 or .270 is a much better way to go - very available ammo, manageable recoil (though 30-06 is a bit stout for me, being a recoil weenie) and sufficent for anything you're ever likely to see in the woods. Both cartridges will kill effectively to well beyond the distance the substantial majority of folks on this board (me included) have any business shooting at game, or at least any need. The same could prob be said of a scoped, properly sighted in 30-30, but that's because 200 yards at a deer's lungs is further than most think it is in the woods.

Someone mentioned getting a 30-30. A lot to be said for that: enough range for most hunting, easy on the ears, shoulder, and wallet, while... deadly on game, far more so than comparing cartridges on paper will lead you to believe. Plus, it comes in very pretty rifles at modest cost. If you later decide you need more range - then get a .270!

FRJ
January 6, 2010, 11:34 AM
I used a 300 win mag on a coyote ONCE!!!!!! It actually cut him in half!!!!! Or maybe the correct statement would be blew him in half. Hit him just foreward of the last rib and there were oregon grapes sprayed all over the place. His hind end lay on the ground and he crawled about 20 feet with just the front half. Way too much gun for coyote. I used it on a deer ONCE and it actually caused less tissue damage than my normal deer gun a 270 win. If your just going to hunt deer and coyote why not a .243? FRJ

TAA_Model70
January 6, 2010, 11:40 AM
Go with the 25/06 with 100gr well constructe bullets and look back. You couldn't put all the deer and coyotes I've taken with a pre-64 70 rebarreled with a Kreiger barrel into the bed of a dual axle dump truck. This rifle not only kills them, it puts fear into their grandkids. The range capabilities are awsome and very easy to reloa for. I use the Barnes 100gr bullets and have never had anything need a second shot.

tcsnake
January 6, 2010, 11:46 AM
6.8 SPC in a good bolt action is very under-rated. I have taken everything from deer to woodchucks to hogs with it, I have not yet had a runner on any animals I have taken either! Hows that for a slice of fried gold?

Geno
January 6, 2010, 01:11 PM
You’re trying to kills to birds (or critters in this case) with one stone. In either case, you can end up over gunned on one, or under-gunned on the other. While the .22 centerfires are legal for deer in many states, and they are potent calibers for coyotes, they are generally considered under-gunned for deer. Conversely, the .30 caliber centerfires are well-suited for deer, but are severe over-kill on coyotes. By all means a .30 caliber will kill a coyote right dead, and depending on the favor of round, i.e. .30-378 Wea. Mag with a 130 grain Nosler Ballistic tip will kill it, skin it and grind the burger all in one trigger pull.

That leaves us to consider the basic calibers available that are not to the extremes. They include the .24 cal, 25 cal, 26 cal, 27 cal, 28 cal. Most any of the rounds in these calibers will fill your needs, and some will do a better job than others. These basically break into short cases, long cases and magnum cases. You don’t need a magnum in any of these calibers. A long case (long-action) in 25, 26, 27, 28 and 30 calibers is more than enough for the job to 500 yards if you do your part. The 24 calibers are getting stretched a bit at 500 yards, even the 6mm Rem and .240 Wea. “Mag”, which “Mag” it is not truly…not in my book.

Other considerations include that the larger the caliber the higher the cost, both in financial terms and in recoil terms. The smaller, faster calibers tends to erode barrels more quickly. For example, a hot loaded .25-06 Rem will not last as-long-as a hot-loaded .30-06 Sprg. Yet, they have the same parent cartridge. As I see the long-action cartridges, you would be hard-pressed to find more effective and more efficient rounds than the following: .25-06 Rem; .270 Win, .280 Rem, or .30-06 Sprg. These are all over kill on coyotes, and Hades on deer.

The last category is the short cartridges (short-actions) such as the .243 Win; 6mm (.244) Rem; .260 Rem; and the 7mm-08 Rem. Any of these calibers will knock a deer down with one well-placed round. I have used them; they work plain and simple. Any of these cartridges are fine rounds for coyotes to 500 yards with no worries of remaining energy for a one-shot, clean kill.

If you are new to shooting, I would encourage go shooting with friends, and see your tolerance. More gun ain’t gonna kill what you can’t hit because you become recoil-sensitive. You need to decide the typical distances that you will be engaging in hunting. For me, shots to 525 yards are not uncommon. Depending on where I hunt, I take a .308 Win up to a .300 Win Mag for deer. For coyotes and other varmints I take a .223 up to a .270 Win. Again, I shoot at some long distances, and have been hunting since around age 10ish. For what it’s worth, I’ve never felt under-gunned with my 6mm Rem!

My final insight: it aint’ the caliber, or the gun that much matter. What matters is your knowledge and commitment. Learn you gun. Learn your caliber and it’s trajectory and drift. Keep practicing until you develop a good clean ability, then keep practicing to maintain that ability. That will make you and effective, efficient hunter. I know I’ve droned on more than needed, but you asked a serous question and I wanted to give you a serious answer.

One of the best deer/varmint rounds I ever used was my Sako Finnbear in .270 Win. I used 130 grain projectiles on deer, and 90 Speer hollow points and Speer 100 grain Hotcores for varmint. The reason I used that large of a caliber for varmint is that is what I used for deer. It kept me skilled year round with my one rifle. When you can hit 6, 2-liter Coca-cola bottles filled with water at 500 yards, with 6 shots, you have your skills honed. If the rifle hadn't possessed enough accuracy potential, or I hadn't possessed the commitment to practice, I wouldn't have hit anything. My personal assessment as to how far I can ethically shoot game, is how far can I hit 100% on 2-liter bottles filled with water? For me, that answer is 500 yards.

Why do I use that assessment? Simple. A woodchuck looks a lot like a 2-liter bottle at 500 yards when they stand. A coyote's chest area is about the same size. A deer heart/lung area is about that size.

Let us know what you decide.

Geno

demonseed34
January 6, 2010, 05:56 PM
iv been shooting for 9 years. and the only time i was hurt by a gun was sightign in a reimington 870 supermag with 3 in shells. Ive shot the worlds most powerefull production hand gun the sw 500mag with out any hitches off hand. i even took that very same hand gun out hunting. the largest rifle ive shot was a 300 weatherby magnum and it did not even hurt my shoulder. so an in expereiced shooter no. some one who could learn new tatics yes. my mado if you cant handel the recoil don't shoot the gun.

MachIVshooter
January 6, 2010, 06:03 PM
iv been shooting for 9 years. and the only time i was hurt by a gun was sightign in a reimington 870 supermag with 3 in shells. Ive shot the worlds most powerefull production hand gun the sw 500mag with out any hitches off hand. i even took that very same hand gun out hunting. the largest rifle ive shot was a 300 weatherby magnum and it did not even hurt my shoulder. so an in expereiced shooter no. some one who could learn new tatics yes. my mado if you cant handel the recoil don't shoot the gun.

Recoil doesn't have to reach the level of painful to adversely affect shooting habits. My 7.5 pound .375 Ultra (not ported) doesn't hurt me, but with 82 pounds of recoil at 23 MPH, you better believe it caused a flinch.

Trust all of us here when we tell you that you'll shoot a lighter recoiling gun with greater degree of accuracy.

lopezni
January 6, 2010, 08:27 PM
.243, 58gr v-max 3870fps varmint round, Sellier and Bellot 95gr PTS, great deer cartridge. Or .25-06, you get about 100yrd greater effective range on deer vs the .243, .243 is better for varmints.

Uncle Mike
January 6, 2010, 08:34 PM
Pretty much whatever firearm I have in my hand when a yote presents itself is the perfect coyote gun! lol hehehe

Wanta B
January 6, 2010, 08:41 PM
Myself,regardless of experiance,it would come down to how many firearms were in my collection and weather I intended to aquire more in the near future. If you live in the U.S.A. I would get a .308Win. boltaction 22" medium contour,with out more specifics of your plans.

lost river rat
January 6, 2010, 09:14 PM
As you narrow your choices, you should look at the available ammo unless you hand load. For instance, the 30-06 will do both, but there is not a good varmit load available in factory ammo. Although, 150gr will work on both.

What ever you chose, make sure it is a good choice for the biggest game you are going to hunt. Example would be the 22-250. A premier varmit round but a very poor choice for deer. The faster deer cartridges are probably best. The 270 win and the 25-06 are two standouts. The 25-06 has factory varmit loads available and both are flat enough shooting to be serious varmit rigs. I am partial to the 6mm Rem but hard to find now. The 243 is a good cross over rifle. I have not had good luck in the 243 with standard bullets on deer, but legions of deer hunters use 243 and standard lead core bullets. I recommend premium 100 gr bullets for deer.

If you enjoyed reading about "deer and coyote rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!