I got the email this afternoon...

PDA

WesM
January 5, 2010, 05:43 PM
...My CMP M1 Garand is shipping today and will arrive on my doorstep by 10:30 tomorrow morning :D

I told my boss I would be a little late to the office tomorrow...

If you enjoyed reading about "I got the email this afternoon..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
EdLaver
January 5, 2010, 05:50 PM
Hell, go ahead and tell him/her you won't be coming in and take a trip to the range for some bonding time! :evil: Congrats, enjoy, and post pics!

USSR
January 5, 2010, 05:52 PM
Congrats WesM. Service grade?

Don

WesM
January 5, 2010, 05:55 PM
Yup, Service Grade. It's a Springfield 5.8 million serial number. I am still learning a lot about them. It will be my first.

It actually will have taken less than a month from when I placed my order to the rifle arriving at my doorstep.

Hardtarget
January 5, 2010, 06:42 PM
Congratulations! The M1 is so cool...you will never regret the purchase. Mine resides in the front left position in my safe...so I can see it every time the safe is opened. :D

Let it warm up...give it a good cleaning, read the book that comes from CMP, and grab your gear. The range is waiting!

Mark

Quoheleth
January 5, 2010, 06:48 PM
My Springer is in the same SN range. I hope yours comes out as good as mine did. Bottom piece of wood is excellent; top piece is good; metal is in good condition; bore is very good; bluing/parking is good except OUTSIDE of the muzzle.

Make sure you lube it up well. Mine came pretty dry.

Out of curiosity...when did you order? I ordered the early part of August and received the week of Veteran's Day.

Q

WesM
January 5, 2010, 07:02 PM
I ordered it about the 2nd week in December, so it will have taken less than a month to process and ship my order, even over the holidays. Not bad, I guess the 90 day waiting is over?

joejoeshooter
January 5, 2010, 07:17 PM
If you don't mind Wes, what did you have to pay 'em?

jjs

mcdonl
January 5, 2010, 07:33 PM
Sorry to sound like a dub, but what can I say... I am one :)

What is CMP?

WesM
January 5, 2010, 07:34 PM
CMP Service Grades run $595, plus 22.95 shipping I think, so the total was $617.95.

That's not including the club membership dues (I went to an Appleseed and joined the Revolutionary War Veterans Association ($20/yr) to meet my "club" requirement).

WesM
January 5, 2010, 07:35 PM
Civilian Marksmanship Program - www.odcmp.com

The only way aside from a FFL that you can get a high-powered military rifle delivered right to your front door. :)

mcdonl
January 5, 2010, 07:39 PM
Wow. Thank you, that is awesome. I am about one month away from getting my first 1911, but the M1 Garand is number 2 on the list. What a fabulous program!

It looks like the Maine association is where my friend runs the IDPA program. I will be looking into this in the spring.

Thanks again!

CZguy
January 5, 2010, 09:50 PM
I can't say enough good things about the CMP. :cool:

This is what they sent me last July.

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii299/badgerone/M1I.jpg

Tom609
January 5, 2010, 10:30 PM
Hey, good luck on your part. That sounds like a great number. I have a 5,777,xxx H&R from CMP with a pristine bore and in great shape. Enjoy it!

skidooman603
January 6, 2010, 06:15 AM
Oh God...There is CZ's Beauty again. Enjoy. You will find they are like Lay's Potatoe Chips....

CZguy
January 6, 2010, 09:05 AM
Oh God...There is CZ's Beauty again. Enjoy. You will find they are like Lay's Potatoe Chips....

Sorry I just can't help myself.

Here is my favorite M1. It's a 1955 HRA with a Line Material Co. barrel. It's the best shooter that I've ever seen.

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii299/badgerone/M1GarandHRA.jpg

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
January 6, 2010, 09:58 AM
Woo hoo! Gotta love Garands. :D

WesM
January 6, 2010, 10:14 AM
My tracking info shows that my Garand is now at the local Fedex facility, about 15 miles away...

Good lord this wait is agonizing!! :)

CZguy
January 6, 2010, 10:20 AM
My tracking info shows that my Garand is now at the local Fedex facility, about 15 miles away...

Good lord this wait is agonizing!!

Don't forget to take lots of photos. :)

WesM
January 6, 2010, 10:48 AM
For anybody living vicariously through me today, or reliving your own CMP delivery days, the rifle is now on the truck and out for delivery.

I am going to get whiplash looking out my window every time a truck drives by...

CZguy
January 6, 2010, 11:35 AM
I think I hear the Fed Ex truck now. :D

blkbrd666
January 6, 2010, 11:38 AM
LOL...got the camera ready? We can't live vicariously without pics.

ljnowell
January 6, 2010, 11:39 AM
Hey they accidently delivered it to me! Dont worry, I went ahead and shot it for you. I did a little modifying too. That darn stock needed cut on a little, and I went ahead and shortened the barrel, not to worry though, I recrowned it with my die grinder, its all good. BTW, did you know this this is a right pain to shoot 7.62x54R out of it? I mean, wth?

WesM
January 6, 2010, 11:53 AM
Guys, now this is just cruel. Still no sign of the Fed Ex truck. I am taking off of work to make sure I don't miss him, so this is costing me vacation!!

I want to send them an invoice for my billable rate past 10:30...

Claude Clay
January 6, 2010, 12:10 PM
file it under the 'opportunity cost of future fun'

millertyme
January 6, 2010, 12:28 PM
Make sure to post some pics when it does arrive. I've always wanted to get ahold of one of those.

memphisjim
January 6, 2010, 12:47 PM
i put 400 rounds through mine monday
no gun is more fun changing mags has nothing on the ping and clip insertion

joejoeshooter
January 6, 2010, 12:55 PM
Make sure to post up some photos later today if possible...

WesM
January 6, 2010, 12:57 PM
AAAARRRGGHHHH!!!!11!!!1 This wait is AGONIZING!!!11

Still no Garand!! I thought, surely as soon as I break apart the 10/22 and install the bolt buffer and target hammer that Santa brought me (thanks honey!), the Fed Ex guy will surely come while I have the Ruger in pieces on the table.

I have since had time to replace the bolt buffer, disassemble the hammer assembly (first time, so of course I was slow), lose some of the cross pins on the floor a few times, study the trigger group, and install the VQ target hammer... STILL no Garand!

What's sad is that if I didn't care about this Garand, it would surely have arrived before I got out of my PJs and had my morning coffee.

Fate can be cruel sometimes... The wait continues... I am starting to hate Fed Ex.

Dr.Mall Ninja
January 6, 2010, 01:18 PM
Must be hard man.

JEB
January 6, 2010, 02:01 PM
anything yet?

WesM
January 6, 2010, 02:15 PM
Nope, nothing yet.

The wife has taken my oldest kid to preschool, gone to the gym, come home, picked him up from preschool, gone to eat lunch with friends, come home, put the kids down for naps, and I sit here waiting...

I feel like one of those lonely old dogs waiting at the window for his master to arrive.

I am going to have to find something halfway productive to do until the truck pulls up... This is driving me insane.

alde
January 6, 2010, 02:21 PM
It will be worth the wait. Mine is a 5.8 M Springfield too. It's a great rifle with almost new looking metal and great wood. You will love the FedEX guy once you have your toy.

WesM
January 6, 2010, 02:28 PM
I hope so, but right now I'm taking Personal Leave time off of work to twiddle my thumbs and wait for him when they originally said it would be delivered by 10:30 this morning.

I am scared to go to the bathroom for fear they will knock once then run off without leaving the gun before I can get from the bathroom to the front door.

iyaoyas98
January 6, 2010, 02:40 PM
Tick Tock Tick Tock :evil:

Dr.Mall Ninja
January 6, 2010, 02:42 PM
Maybe you should invest in diapers and sit on your front porch :D

WesM
January 6, 2010, 02:45 PM
you laugh, but I have thought about it.

Ed
January 6, 2010, 03:07 PM
Go here:
http://armscollectors.com/sn/usmildates.htm

Find out if you get a hit.

Save money and do it again.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/kd5txx/Woodguns2002-1.jpg

WesM
January 6, 2010, 03:18 PM
ITS HERE ITS HERE ITS HERE!!!

I met the Fed Ex girl out at the driveway. Pics coming soon.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd90/msuce99/SA%20Garand/100_0762.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd90/msuce99/SA%20Garand/100_0763.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd90/msuce99/SA%20Garand/100_0764.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd90/msuce99/SA%20Garand/100_0760.jpg

All parts appear to be Springfield. Ed tells me it is a WWII trigger group and hammer. Looking forward to learning more about my new baby and seeing how she shoots!

mcdonl
January 6, 2010, 03:46 PM
Congrats!!!

JEB
January 6, 2010, 03:51 PM
man thats beautiful! get her to the range as soon as possible and lets see some target pics!

congrats on your new rifle!

alde
January 6, 2010, 07:17 PM
Looks like you sure got a nice one. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine.

CZguy
January 6, 2010, 07:48 PM
ITS HERE ITS HERE ITS HERE!!!

I met the Fed Ex girl out at the driveway. Pics coming soon.

Congratulations on a really nice looking M1.................but what did the Fed Ex girl look like. :D

WesM
January 6, 2010, 09:29 PM
Congratulations on a really nice looking M1.................but what did the Fed Ex girl look like.

You will laugh, but honestly I don't remember. She was either black or Hispanic, but I didn't really look past the box she was carrying!!! Sorry no pics of her.

Shade00
January 7, 2010, 12:53 PM
Very nice looking gun Wes. Congrats. I know you've been wanting one for a while, especially after shooting my H&R. Maybe we can take them out soon... I haven't shot my Springfield yet.

If you enjoyed reading about "I got the email this afternoon..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!