did i take a big hit on this ak..?

PDA

Xmm
January 6, 2010, 12:52 PM
i agreed with a gunbroker dealer to trade my glock 19 w/night sights plus $250....for a yugo fixed stock

http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/152897000/152897656/pix701877640.jpg

ive been wanting one of these for awhile but cant find one anywhere...i owned an underfolder but sold it...and i know i can get the glock back when i get the $...should i of sold the glock and saved $ for the yugo..?

If you enjoyed reading about "did i take a big hit on this ak..?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sam1911
January 6, 2010, 01:01 PM
Ehhh, you're giving up a ~$500 gun + $250 for a ~$650 gun. Not an awesome deal, but if you think of it as a $100 cost to get what you really want at the moment, not so bad. 'Course you'll still have shipping and transfer fees, so maybe it's more like a $150-$200 cost to get what you want.

As long as you still have a servicable carry handgun, get tke AK, shoot it, enjoy it.

-Sam

benEzra
January 6, 2010, 01:04 PM
If you like it, and it's worth $250 plus the Glock to you, then it's a fine trade. You might could have paid a little less overall by selling the Glock on consignment and then buying a Yugo straight out, but that might have taken a while.

Is that an aftermarket grip on the AK, or do all Yugos have a finger groove grip? Looks like a nice rifle.

LiquidTension
January 6, 2010, 01:09 PM
A new G19 with night sites goes for $455 here. Used would bring in no more than $400 in a private deal, probably closer to $350.

The deal isn't great, but if it's what you want and it's the only one to be found... does it matter?

giggitygiggity
January 6, 2010, 01:44 PM
That was not a good trade on your part.

Walkalong
January 6, 2010, 01:53 PM
Classic Arms (http://classicarms.us/)

Dr.Mall Ninja
January 6, 2010, 02:12 PM
you would have been better off selling your glock first then buying an AK, but o well you got what you want.

RP88
January 6, 2010, 02:14 PM
For collector's purpose, the M70AB1 (pictured) fetches more than the AB2 underfolders right now. Assuming the Glock is used, I'd say that is about right value-wise. But, then again, it's not like there is such thing as a "new Yugo AK", either. Unless you really don't want or need the Glock, I'd keep looking around, or - as said - go to Classic Arms, where you can buy another AB2 underfolder for a lot less.

kwelz
January 6, 2010, 02:27 PM
my LGS has those for 450 =\ Sorry man I think you got taken.

Xmm
January 6, 2010, 02:56 PM
oops

Xmm
January 6, 2010, 03:04 PM
well the deal isnt 100% official yet...where the hell can i find a decently priced yugo m70b1..?

memphisjim
January 6, 2010, 03:10 PM
yes bad deal
glock 19 is one of the easiest pistols to sell fast

FMJMIKE
January 6, 2010, 07:25 PM
Bad deal.......IMHO. AK prices have been falling like a rock. Looks like a $500 AK to me.

highorder
January 6, 2010, 07:47 PM
I'm interested in the Glock...

trigga
January 6, 2010, 09:13 PM
not the best deal but again you can find glocks at almost every dealer. the glock 19 is my next on the list.

Xmm
January 6, 2010, 09:16 PM
my LGS has those for 450 =\ Sorry man I think you got taken.

whats the name of your LGS? do they do phone orders? are you sure they are yugo m70b1's?

I'm interested in the Glock...

offer? lol..only really looking to trade...

January 6, 2010, 10:02 PM
well the deal isnt 100% official yet...where the hell can i find a decently priced yugo m70b1..?

If you can bail on the deal, I'd advise it. The bottom is falling outta the market just this moment and unless this acquistion is a "just gotta have" that must happen right now you'd be better off waiting for prices to fall.

I know it is a hard thing to do when you want a new gun, but sometimes we have to wait for a better opportunity.

As the unfortunate circumstances surrounding our economy materialize, deals will become available as people "sell off" for equity. I know it sounds harsh and unfeeling, but it is the oldest rule of the market place: Buy low, sell high.

Good luck.

nwilliams
January 6, 2010, 10:22 PM
Not a good trade.

If you can get out of the deal I would.

Dr.Mall Ninja
January 6, 2010, 10:51 PM
offer? lol..only really looking to trade... You know that you can sell that glock for like 500-550 and buy an ak, you dont have to make a trade....

Shadow Man
January 6, 2010, 11:01 PM
I wouldn't do it. If you ever really need a gun, a handgun will prove to be worth it's weight in...well, pretty much anything. Besides the cool/fun factor of a rifle, you would probably be better off keeping the G19, saving that $250 and pinching pennies or what have you to get the AK later.

kwelz
January 7, 2010, 01:37 AM
Kieslers/Orion Arms. I am not sure of the model. They may not be Yugos. Call and ask.
812-248-GUNS

Dr.Mall Ninja
January 7, 2010, 01:39 AM
I wouldn't do it. If you ever really need a gun, a handgun will prove to be worth it's weight in...well, pretty much anything. :D that's priceless.

rangerruck
January 7, 2010, 01:42 AM
If you were in Houston, that ak would have been about 400 bucks right now... so it really depends on what they are going for in your area.

rangerruck
January 7, 2010, 01:43 AM
You can sell that glock, to someone at a gunshow, just a walk up person, for 450 to 500 bucks, easy.

Bugflipper
January 7, 2010, 04:53 AM
Yep, you burnt yourself. Straight out would have been as high as I would have gone. That would have been if I really wanted it and had another pistol for carry. The Yugos are parts guns just like all the rest on the market today, nothing makes them special. You could have gotten what ever set up you wished for under the price of a glock with night sights.

Shadow Man
January 7, 2010, 10:18 AM
that's priceless

Thank you :D

Xmm
January 7, 2010, 10:33 AM
well i mean i have other guns..dan wesson cbob...an ar...a ruger standard .22...remington 700...i dont know...i just really wanted a yugo but i guess ill take you guys word and eat the negative gunbroker feedback...

Shadow Man
January 7, 2010, 10:36 AM
You already have the $250 you were going to add to the trade, so you are well on your way to an AK...you already have over half the amount that a good one costs.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
January 7, 2010, 10:37 AM
If you got rid of a Glock, and got a rifle that shoots, you did good! :)

Mikee Loxxer
January 7, 2010, 02:19 PM
Is that an aftermarket grip on the AK, or do all Yugos have a finger groove grip?

Ben that is a US manufacture pistol grip that Century used on the later production Yugo Kalashnikovs. They are kind of cheap in my opinion. I replaced one on a rifle with a Combat Arms Grip.

benzy2
January 7, 2010, 07:29 PM
I would do what you want to do. It isn't the best deal but if you want the AK and don't mind giving up the glock it works. I wouldn't listen to anything but yourself. If you want to go that route, do it.

leadcounsel
January 7, 2010, 07:56 PM
Hosed...

You could easily sell your handgun, assuming it's in good or better condition, for at least $350 and maybe $450 in a day FTF locally by posting it around various sites.

You could then easily located an AK for between $350-500. Here's a cheap Romanian and there are many others...

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Romanian_GP-WASR_10_63_7.62x39_Rifle.html

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/M70AB2_Underfolding_7.62x39_Rifle.html

I'd say you lost anywhere from $100 to maybe even $300 on the total deal (shipping, FFL fees, etc). On a $400-500 gun that's up to a 50% loss.

Sam1911
January 7, 2010, 10:15 PM
Remember, guys, he's asking for a specific gun (Yugo M70B1) that is substantively different from a WASR or other run-of-the-mill AKMs. If you don't have a lead for that specific model at $300-$400, then don't tell him he's getting ripped off.

Same holds for selling the Glock. Unless you can show him closed actions (or whatever) where his model is selling for $500+, don't overstate how much he'll get for it.

I don't think this is quite as bad a deal as many of you are making it out to be. He could do better, but he's not losing his shirt, pants, and socks on the deal.

Finding an M70B1 in a reasonble amount of time could easily run you near $600, even now. Selling price on that Glock might not bring more than $400, again, depending on who's looking to buy one right now and how badly they want it.

If that's the case, the deal looks a lot more favorable.

IMHO.

-Sam

BTR
January 8, 2010, 09:19 AM
If you can ethically back out, I would do so. I'd get the money elsewhere and pay cash for the AK.

iyaoyas98
January 8, 2010, 10:57 AM
+1 - You're getting hosed.

I've done it too.....:banghead:

Samgotit
January 8, 2010, 11:10 AM
The only way I'd pay $650 for an AK is if it were Stalin's.

Samgotit
January 8, 2010, 11:21 AM
i just really wanted a yugo but i guess ill take you guys word and eat the negative gunbroker feedback...

You should contact the seller and at least offer to pay his fees for the listing if you both come to an agreement to cancel the deal. Otherwise, that's a real squirmy thing to do.

wojownik
January 8, 2010, 11:31 AM
FWIW, J&G has Yugo M70AB2T (underfolder) for $489, while AIM has them for $469. Atlantic Firearms has them for $499.

The_Pretender
January 8, 2010, 12:00 PM
I paid $650 for mine, no questions out the door. I did take it to a smith though and had it fixed up right.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=111227&d=1261069666

Now that may seem high to some of you, but most dealers wanted $500-$600 for these WASR's. They were the only thing you could find.

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z80/KOLNMason/Picture512.jpg

If it was Norinco, it was $1200 or more. Hard to believe I know. But where I live this was the best way to obtain one.

I love mine, and am never gonna question the dollar amount. I'll have this the rest of my life. I think it's worth anything "extra" I may have paid.

OP, if you got what you wanted, you didn't get hosed. What could you have saved, maybe $50? $100? In the grand scheme of things, that isn't so much.

waterhouse
January 8, 2010, 12:02 PM
You should contact the seller and at least offer to pay his fees for the listing if you both come to an agreement to cancel the deal. Otherwise, that's a real squirmy thing to do.

Agreed. The time to ask about a deal is before you agree to it.

I've had guys back out of deals on gunbroker. It is a huge pain. Gunbroker charges for the listing at the end of the auction, and there is a big arbitration process when someone doesn't pay. The seller can't even start the process for one month after the auction ends, which is to give time for "checks lost in the mail" etc.

As for the deal, you could probably have done better. It is almost always better to sell your gun privately than try to trade it in.

TexasPatriot.308
January 8, 2010, 08:57 PM
bad deal, the Yugo and any AK are down $300 or more than a couple of months ago, the stocks look cheap too, the "scare" is over for now. AKs are cheap again right now, my honest opinion, you got screwed.

iyaoyas98
January 9, 2010, 12:24 AM
For $1200 dollars, an ak better wash the truck and walk the dog. Nightly. $250 plus a realistic $425 Glock is $675. At least get a Arsenal SGL. Hell, PM me if your interested. :)

Gordon
January 9, 2010, 12:41 AM
I think a Valmet AK is worth a lot really. I'll tell you what, I would NOT sell one of my preban Mitchel Yugos for any Glock and $250. And my pre ban Fegs- forget it! I sold 4 Norincos and 2 Maadis right before the California registration deadline in 2000. I should have bought a forged Bulgarian before then, but noooo I was holding out for an East German AK that never panned out!
I wouldn't pay much for a US recievered AK though! Not unless it said Tromix onit somewhere.

If you enjoyed reading about "did i take a big hit on this ak..?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!